See related article:
Letter to the Editor
Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society
Volume 120, Issue 6, page 422, 25 December 2012
How to Cite
Jiménez-Heffernan, J. A. and Viguer, J. M. (2012), Correspondence regarding “The cytopathology of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor: A report of 55 fine-needle aspiration cases”. Cancer Cytopathology, 120: 422. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21209
See related article:
- Issue online: 14 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 APR 2012
As a group interested in the cytology of soft tissue tumors, particularly malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor, we have read the article by Wakely et al.1 The authors refer to the scarcity of previous cytologic reports and mention that except for the study by Klijanienko et al,2 they are limited to case reports or small series of 3 to 4 patients. One of such series is ours and describes not 3 or 4 patients but 10 patients (15 aspirates).3 In our opinion, this is a substantial difference in the number of patients, which we would like to bring to the attention of the readers of the journal, because the information obtained from 10 patients is much more reliable than that from 3 or 4 patients. Indeed, the conclusions of our study and the present one are similar. An initial cytologic diagnosis of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor is difficult or impossible to ascertain, but cytologic analysis is very useful for patient follow-up (metastases or recurrences).
- 1The cytopathology of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor. A report of 55 fine-needle aspiration cases. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012; 120 334–341, , .
- 2Cytohistologic correlations of 24 malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor (MPNST) in 17 patients: the Institut Curie experience. Diagn Cytopathol. 2002; 27: 103-108., , , .
- 3Cytologic features of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor. Acta Cytol. 1999; 43: 175-183., , , , , .
José A. Jiménez-Heffernan MD, PhD*, José M. Viguer MD, * Department of Pathology, University Hospital Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Spain, Department of Pathology, University Hospital La Paz, Madrid, Spain.