Parts of this study were presented at the 18th International Congress of Cytology; May 26-30, 2013; Paris, France.
Value of immunohistochemistry in the detection of BRAFV600E mutations in fine-needle aspiration biopsies of papillary thyroid carcinoma
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2013
© 2013 American Cancer Society
Volume 122, Issue 1, pages 48–58, January 2014
How to Cite
Zimmermann, A.-K., Camenisch, U., Rechsteiner, M. P., Bode-Lesniewska, B. and Rössle, M. (2014), Value of immunohistochemistry in the detection of BRAFV600E mutations in fine-needle aspiration biopsies of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathology, 122: 48–58. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21352
We thank Professor A. von Deimling and Dr. D. Capper of the Department of Neuropathology at Ruprecht-Karls-University Heidelberg, Germany, for kindly providing the VE1 antibody and immunohistochemical staining protocol for initial testing. We are very grateful to Mrs. Nathali Cadalbert, Mrs. Nicole Neumann, and Mr. André Fitsche of the Institute of Surgical Pathology at University Hospital Zurich for their technical assistance in the preparation of cell block slides and in optimizing VE1 immunohistochemistry on cell block slides. We thank Professor D. Zimmermann of the Institute of Surgical Pathology at University Hospital Zurich for helpful discussions and critical reading of the article.
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUN 2013
- 6Immunocytochemistry with cytokeratin 19 and anti-human mesothelial cell antibody (HBME1) increases the diagnostic accuracy of thyroid fine-needle aspirations: preliminary report of 150 liquid-based fine-needle aspirations with histological control. Thyroid. 2011;21:1067–1073., , , et al.
- 8SEER Survival Monograph: Cancer Survival Among Adults: U.S. SEER Program, 1988-2001, Patient and Tumor Characteristics. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute SEER Program; 2007., , , , , .
- 9Clinical implication of highly sensitive detection of the BRAF V600E mutation in fine-needle aspirations of thyroid nodules: a comparative analysis of 3 molecular assays in 4585 consecutive cases in a BRAF V600E mutation-prevalent area. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:2299–2306., , , et al.
- 15BRAF (V600E) mutation analysis on liquid-based cytology-processed aspiration biopsies predicts bilaterality and lymph node involvement in papillary thyroid microcarcinoma. Cancer (Cancer Cytopathol). 2013;121:291–297., , , et al.
- 25Expression of BRAF V600E mutant protein in epithelial ovarian tumors. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2013;21:159–164., , , et al.
- 34The immunocytochemistry is a valuable tool in the diagnosis of papillary thyroid cancer in FNAs using liquid-based cytology. J Oncol. 2010;2010:963926., , , , , .