This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Activin mRNA induced during amygdala kindling shows a spatiotemporal progression that tracks the spread of seizures †
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2004
Published © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Comparative Neurology
Volume 476, Issue 1, pages 91–102, 9 August 2004
How to Cite
Foster, J. A., Puchowicz, M. J., McIntyre, D. C. and Herkenham, M. (2004), Activin mRNA induced during amygdala kindling shows a spatiotemporal progression that tracks the spread of seizures . J. Comp. Neurol., 476: 91–102. doi: 10.1002/cne.20197
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 APR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 21 APR 2003
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program
- 1995. Induction of β-A activin expression by synaptic activity and during neocortical development. Neuroscience 69: 781–796. , .
- 1999. Intrinsic and efferent connections of the endopiriform nucleus in rat. J Comp Neurol 408: 532–548. , .
- 1995. Expression of activin receptors type I and II only partially overlaps in the nervous system. Neuroreport 7: 113–116. , , .
- 1993. Regulation of neurotrophin and trkA, trkB and trkC tyrosine kinase receptor messenger RNA expression in kindling. Neuroscience 53: 433–446. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. BDNF and epilepsy: too much of a good thing? Trends Neurosci 24: 47–53. , , , .
- 1996. Rapid and transient increases in cellular immediate early gene and neuropeptide mRNAs in cortical and limbic areas after amygdaloid kindling seizures in the rat. Epilepsy Res 26: 281–293. , .
- 1994. Hybridization histochemical localization of activin receptor subtypes in rat brain, pituitary, ovary, and testis. Endocrinology 134: 799–808. , , , , , .
- 1975. Architectonic map of neocortex of the normal mouse. J Comp Neurol 164: 247–263.
- 1979. The bilaminar and banded distribution of the callosal terminals in the posterior neocortex of the rat. Brain Res 176: 33–47. , .
- 1991. Regional expression of c-fos mRNA in rat brain during the evolution of amygdala kindled seizures. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 11: 55–64. , , , , .
- 2001. Loss of hippocampal serine protease BSP1/neuropsin predisposes to global seizure activity. J Neurosci 21: 6993–7000. , , , , .
- 1999. Activin A and follistatin: their role in the acute phase reaction and inflammation. J Endocrinol 161: 195–198. , , .
- 2002. Smad3-dependent induction of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in astrocytes mediates neuroprotective activity of transforming growth factor-β1 against NMDA-induced necrosis. Mol Cell Neurosci 21: 634–644. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Anatomical correlates of electrical and behavioral events related to amygdaloid kindling. Ann Neurol 3: 538–544. , , .
- 1991. Increased levels of messenger RNAs for neurotrophic factors in the brain during kindling epileptogenesis. Neuron 7: 165–176. , , , , .
- 1994. Neuropoietic cytokines and activin A differentially regulate the phenotype of cultured sympathetic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 43–47. , .
- 1997. Immunolocalization of type I or type II activin receptors in the rat brain. J Neuroendocrinol 9: 105–111. , , , , , .
- 1993. Seizure-induced changes in neurotrophin expression: implications for epilepsy. Exp Neurol 124: 150–166. .
- 2000. Localization of cannabinoid CB1 receptor mRNA in neuronal subpopulations of rat striatum: a double-label in situ hybridization study. Synapse 37: 71–80. , .
- 1995. Differences in the anatomic distribution of immediate-early gene expression in amygdala and angular bundle kindling development. J Neurosci 15: 2513–2523. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Administration of recombinant human activin-A has powerful neurotrophic effects on select striatal phenotypes in the quinolinic acid lesion model of Huntington's disease. Neuroscience 92: 197–209. , , , , .
- 1991. BDNF mRNA expression is increased in adult rat forebrain after limbic seizures: temporal patterns of induction distinct from NGF. Neuron 6: 937–948. , , , .
- 1997. Activin exerts a neurotrophic effect on cultured hippocampal neurons. Brain Res 760: 52–58. , , , .
- 2000. Long-term amygdala kindling in rats as a model for the study of interictal emotionality in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 24: 691–704. .
- 1994. Hippocampal kindling protects several structures from the neuronal damage resulting from kainic acid-induced status epilepticus. Brain Res 634: 245–256. , .
- 1996. Perirhinal cortex involvement in limbic kindled seizures. Epilepsy Res 26: 233–243. , .
- 1999. Cortical spreading depression reversibly disrupts convulsive motor seizure expression in amygdala-kindled rats. Neuroscience 91: 305–313. , , .
- 2002. Secondary generalization of hippocampal kindled seizures in rats: examining the role of the piriform cortex. Brain Res 957: 152–161. , , .
- 2001. The insular but not the perirhinal cortex is involved in the expression of fully-kindled amygdaloid seizures in rats. Epilepsy Res 46: 169–178. , , , , , .
- 1995. Suppressed epileptogenesis in BDNF mutant mice. Exp Neurol 133: 215–224. , , , , , .
- 1977. Projections from the amygdaloid complex to the cerebral cortex and thalamus in the rat and cat. J Comp Neurol 172: 687–722. , .
- 1993. Induction of c-fos mRNA by kindled seizures: complex relationship with neuronal burst firing. J Neurosci 13: 744–751. , , , , , .
- 1996. Sequential patterns of inhibin subunit gene expression following hypoxic-ischemic injury in the rat brain. Neuroscience 70: 1013–1024. , , , .
- 1999. Smads bind directly to the Jun family of AP-1 transcription factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 4844–4849. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophins and brain insults. Trends Neurosci 17: 490–496. , , , , .
- 2000. Interaction and functional cooperation of NF-κB with Smads. Transcriptional regulation of the junB promoter. J Biol Chem 275: 28937–28946. , , , , .
- 1998. TGF-β signal transduction. Annu Rev Biochem 67: 753–791. .
- 1993. Characterization of type II activin receptors. Binding, processing, and phosphorylation. J Biol Chem 268: 19013–19018. , .
- 2000. Activin to the rescue for overexcited neurons. Nat Med 6: 739–741. .
- 1991. Distribution of [14C]2-deoxyglucose after various forms and durations of status epilepticus induced by stimulation of a kindled amygdala focus in rats. Epilepsy Res 10: 119–133. , , .
- 1996. Efferent projections of the anterior perirhinal cortex in the rat. J Comp Neurol 369: 302–318. , , .
- 1988. Pursuit of the mechanisms of kindling. Trends Neurosci 11: 33–36. .
- 2002. Two major Smad pathways in TGF-β superfamily signalling. Genes Cells 7: 1191–1204. , , , , .
- 1999. Synaptic plasticity in kindling. Adv Neurol 79: 631–643. .
- 1972. Another inexpensive headplug for the electrical recording and or stimulation of rats. Physiol Behav 9: 273–275. , .
- 1996. Distinct localization of two serine-threonine kinase receptors for activin and TGF-β in the rat brain and down-regulation of type I activin receptor during peripheral nerve regeneration. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 42: 263–271. , , .
- 2000. Development and persistence of kindling epilepsy are impaired in mice lacking glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor family receptor alpha 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 12312–12317. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Kindling induces neuropsin mRNA in the mouse brain. Brain Res 728: 116–120. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. San Diego: Academic Press. , .
- 1979. A stereotaxic atlas of the rat brain. New York: Plenum Publishing Corp. , , .
- 2000. Kindling modulates the IL-1beta system, TNF-alpha, TGF-beta1, and neuropeptide mRNAs in specific brain regions. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 75: 248–258. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1972. Modification of seizure activity by electrical stimulation. II. Motor seizure. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 32: 281–294. .
- 2002. Neural growth, neural damage and neurotrophins in the kindling model of epilepsy. Adv Exp Med Biol 497: 149–170. , , , .
- 1996. Hybridization histochemical and immunohistochemical localization of inhibin/activin subunits and messenger ribonucleic acids in the rat brain. J Comp Neurol 364: 473–493. , , , .
- 1997. Interamygdaloid projections of the basal and accessory basal nuclei of the rat amygdaloid complex. Neuroscience 76: 725–735. , , .
- 1990. Activin is a nerve cell survival molecule. Nature 344: 868–870. , , , , , .
- 2000. Bilateral lesions of the central but not anterior or posterior parts of the piriform cortex retard amygdala kindling in rats. Neuroscience 101: 513–521. , , .
- 2000. Specific amygdaloid nuclei are involved in suppression or propagation of epileptiform activity during transition stage between oral automatisms and generalized clonic seizures. Brain Res 873: 1–17. , , , .
- 1996. Expression of serine/threonine kinase receptors including the bone morphogenetic factor type II receptor in the developing and adult rat brain. Cell Tissue Res 286: 269–279. , , .
- 2002. Proteases involved in long-term potentiation. Life Sci 72: 355–361. , , , , .
- 1996. Strong induction of activin expression after hippocampal lesion. Neuroreport 7: 1819–1823. , , , , , .
- 2000. Induction of activin A is essential for the neuroprotective action of basic fibroblast growth factor in vivo. Nat Med 6: 812–815. , , , , , .
- 1990. The inhibin/activin family of hormones and growth factors. In: AraiK, SpornMB, RobertsAB, BatteyJF, editors. Handbook of experimental pharmacology. New York: Springer-Verlag. p 211–248. , , , .
- 1993a. The functional anatomy of limbic status epilepticus in the rat. I. Patterns of 14C-2-deoxyglucose uptake and Fos immunocytochemistry. J Neurosci 13: 4787–4809. , .
- 1993b. The functional anatomy of limbic status epilepticus in the rat. II. The effects of focal deactivation. J Neurosci 13: 4810–4830. , .
- 1990. Optimization of cRNA probe in situ hybridization methodology for localization of glucocorticoid receptor mRNA in rat brain: a detailed protocol. Cell Mol Neurobiol 10: 145–157. , , , , , .
- 2002. TGFβ2 mediates rapid inhibition of calcium influx in identified cholinergic basal forebrain neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290: 1321–1327. , , .
- 1999. Expression of the activin axis and neuronal rescue effects of recombinant activin A following hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in the infant rat. Brain Res 835: 369–378. , , , , , .
- 2003. TGF-β signaling activates steroid hormone receptor expression during neuronal remodeling in the Drosophila brain. Cell 112: 303–315. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Smad proteins physically interact with calmodulin. J Biol Chem 273: 677–680. , , .