Dlx1&2 and Mash1 transcription factors control striatal patterning and differentiation through parallel and overlapping pathways
Article first published online: 24 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Comparative Neurology
Volume 512, Issue 4, pages 556–572, 1 February 2009
How to Cite
Long, J. E., Swan, C., Liang, W. S., Cobos, I., Potter, G. B. and Rubenstein, J. L.R. (2009), Dlx1&2 and Mash1 transcription factors control striatal patterning and differentiation through parallel and overlapping pathways. J. Comp. Neurol., 512: 556–572. doi: 10.1002/cne.21854
- Issue published online: 24 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 24 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2008
- Nina Ireland, Larry L. Hillblom Foundation. Grant Numbers: NIMH RO1 MH49428-01, K05 MH065670
- National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression Young Investigator Award
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). Grant Number: F32 MH070211
- California Institute of Regenerative Medicine's Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1997a. Interneuron migration from basal forebrain to neocortex: dependence on Dlx genes. Science 278: 474–476. , , , .
- 1997b. Mutations of the homeobox genes Dlx-1 and Dlx-2 disrupt the striatal subventricular zone and differentiation of late born striatal neurons. Neuron 19: 27–37. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Differential origins of neocortical projection and local circuit neurons: role of Dlx genes in neocortical interneuronogenesis. Cereb Cortex 9: 646–654. , , , .
- 2006. The establishment of neuronal properties is controlled by Sox4 and Sox11. Genes Dev 20: 3475–3486. , , , , .
- 1993a. The mouse Dlx-2 (Tes-1) gene is expressed in spatially restricted domains of the forebrain, face and limbs in midgestation mouse embryos. Mech Dev 40: 129–140. , , , , , .
- 1993b. Spatially restricted expression of Dlx-1, Dlx-2 (Tes-1), Gbx-2, and Wnt-3 in the embryonic day 12.5 mouse forebrain defines potential transverse and longitudinal segmental boundaries. J Neurosci 13: 3155–3172. , , , , , .
- 1998. An olfactory sensory map develops in the absence of normal projection neurons or GABAergic interneurons. Neuron 21: 1273–1282. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Dorsal-ventral patterning in the mammalian telencephalon. Curr Opin Neurobiol 13: 50–56. .
- 1999. Mash1 regulates neurogenesis in the ventral telencephalon. Development 126: 525–534. , , .
- 2006. Proneural bHLH and Brn proteins coregulate a neurogenic program through cooperative binding to a conserved DNA motif. Dev Cell 11: 831–844. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification of a developmentally regulated striatum-enriched zinc-finger gene, Nolz-1, in the mammalian brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 2613–2618. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. The vertebrate ortholog of Aristaless is regulated by Dlx genes in the developing forebrain. J Comp Neurol 483: 292–303. , , .
- 2005b. Mice lacking Dlx1 show subtype-specific loss of interneurons, reduced inhibition and epilepsy. Nat Neurosci 8: 1059–1068. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Dlx transcription factors promote migration through repression of axon and dendrite growth. Neuron 54: 873–888. , , .
- 2007. Inactivation of Arx, the murine ortholog of the X-linked lissencephaly with ambiguous genitalia gene, leads to severe disorganization of the ventral telencephalon with impaired neuronal migration and differentiation. J Neurosci 27: 4786–4798. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The Gsh2 homeodomain gene controls multiple aspects of telencephalic development. Development 127: 5007–5020. , , , , .
- 1999. DLX-1, DLX-2, and DLX-5 expression define distinct stages of basal forebrain differentiation. J Comp Neurol 414: 217–237. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Delineation of multiple subpallial progenitor domains by the combinatorial expression of transcriptional codes. J Neurosci 27: 9682–9695. , , , , , .
- 2000. A role for neural determination genes in specifying the dorsoventral identity of telencephalic neurons. Genes Dev 14: 67–80. , , , , , .
- 1999. Ebf1 controls early cell differentiation in the embryonic striatum. Development 126: 5285–5294. , , , .
- 2004. Mouse brain organization revealed through direct genome-scale TF expression analysis. Science 306: 2255–2257. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neurons. Cell 75: 463–476. , , , , , .
- 2006. FGF signalling generates ventral telencephalic cells independently of SHH. Development 133: 2937–2946. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Correct coordination of neuronal differentiation events in ventral forebrain requires the bHLH factor MASH1. Mol Cell Neurosci 14: 355–369. , , , .
- 2007. A subpopulation of olfactory bulb GABAergic interneurons is derived from Emx1 and Dlx5/6 expressing progenitors. J Neurosci 27: 6878–6891. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Impaired locomotion and dopamine signaling in retinoid receptor mutant mice. Science 279: 863–867. , , , , , , .
- 2007. DLX homeobox genes promote cortical interneuron migration from the basal forebrain by direct repression of the semaphorin receptor neuropilin-2. J Biol Chem 282: 19071–19081. , , , , , .
- 1997. Dlx genes encode DNA-binding proteins that are expressed in an overlapping and sequential pattern during basal ganglia differentiation. Dev Dyn 210: 498–512. , , , , .
- 2006. FACS-array profiling of striatal projection neuron subtypes in juvenile and adult mouse brains. Nat Neurosci 9: 443–452. , , , , .
- 2003. DLX5 regulates development of peripheral and central components of the olfactory system. J Neurosci 23: 568–578. , , , , .
- 2007. Dlx-dependent and -independent regulation of olfactory bulb interneuron differentiation. J Neurosci 27: 3230–3243. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cell migration in the forebrain. Annu Rev Neurosci 26: 441–483. , .
- 2001. Sorting of striatal and cortical interneurons regulated by semaphorin-neuropilin interactions. Science 293: 872–875. , , , , .
- 2004. Mash1 specifies neurons and oligodendrocytes in the postnatal brain. EMBO J 23: 4495–4505. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Dlx1 and Dlx2 control neuronal versus oligodendroglial cell fate acquisition in the developing forebrain. Neuron 55: 417–433. , , , .
- 1994. DLX-2, MASH-1, and MAP-2 expression and bromodeoxyuridine incorporation define molecularly distinct cell populations in the embryonic mouse forebrain. J Neurosci 14(11 Pt 1): 6370–6383. , , , , , .
- 2000. Pallial and subpallial derivatives in the embryonic chick and mouse telencephalon, traced by the expression of the genes Dlx-2, Emx-1, Nkx-2.1, Pax-6, and Tbr-1. J Comp Neurol 424: 409–438. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of the Dlx homeobox genes in proximodistal patterning of the branchial arches: mutations of Dlx-1, Dlx-2, and Dlx-1 and -2 alter morphogenesis of proximal skeletal and soft tissue structures derived from the first and second arches. Dev Biol 185: 165–184. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Defective postnatal neurogenesis and disorganization of the rostral migratory stream in absence of the Vax1 homeobox gene. J Neurosci 24: 11171–11181. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of two distinct progenitor populations in the lateral ganglionic eminence: implications for striatal and olfactory bulb neurogenesis. J Neurosci 23: 167–174. , , .
- 2006. Dose-dependent functions of Fgf8 in regulating telencephalic patterning centers. Development 133: 1831–1844. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Ectopic expression of the Dlx genes induces glutamic acid decarboxylase and Dlx expression. Development 129: 245–252. , , , .
- 1999. Loss of Nkx2.1 homeobox gene function results in a ventral to dorsal molecular respecification within the basal telencephalon: evidence for a transformation of the pallidum into the striatum. Development 126: 3359–3370. , , , .
- 2001. A role for Gsh1 in the developing striatum and olfactory bulb of Gsh2 mutant mice. Development 128: 4769–4780. , .
- 1999. Retinoids are produced by glia in the lateral ganglionic eminence and regulate striatal neuron differentiation. Development 126: 1317–1326. , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic control of dorsal-ventral identity in the telencephalon: opposing roles for Pax6 and Gsh2. Development 127: 4361–4371. , , .
- 2004. The homeobox gene Gsh2 is required for retinoid production in the embryonic mouse telencephalon. Development 131: 4013–4020. , , .
- 2006. The zinc finger transcription factor Sp8 regulates the generation and diversity of olfactory bulb interneurons. Neuron 49: 503–516. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of multiple dopamine signal transduction molecules by retinoids in the developing striatum. Neuroscience 134: 97–105. , .
- 2006. The role of the basal ganglia in habit formation. Nat Rev Neurosci 7: 464–476. , .
- 2005. Arx homeobox gene is essential for development of mouse olfactory system. Development 132: 751–762. , , , , .
- 2001. Gsh2 and Pax6 play complementary roles in dorsoventral patterning of the mammalian telencephalon. Development 128: 193–205. , , .
- 2002. Modulation of the notch signaling by Mash1 and Dlx1/2 regulates sequential specification and differentiation of progenitor cell types in the subcortical telencephalon. Development 129: 5029–5040. , , , , , .
- 2003. Patterning of the lateral ganglionic eminence by the Gsh1 and Gsh2 homeobox genes regulates striatal and olfactory bulb histogenesis and the growth of axons through the basal ganglia. J Comp Neurol 461: 151–165. , , , .
- 2000. A highly conserved enhancer in the Dlx5/Dlx6 intergenic region is the site of cross-regulatory interactions between Dlx genes in the embryonic forebrain. J Neurosci 20: 709–721. , , , , , , , , , .