Zebrafish neurolin-a and -b, orthologs of ALCAM, are involved in retinal ganglion cell differentiation and retinal axon pathfinding
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Comparative Neurology
Volume 513, Issue 1, pages 38–50, 1 March 2009
How to Cite
Diekmann, H. and Stuermer, C. A.O. (2009), Zebrafish neurolin-a and -b, orthologs of ALCAM, are involved in retinal ganglion cell differentiation and retinal axon pathfinding. J. Comp. Neurol., 513: 38–50. doi: 10.1002/cne.21928
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 12 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Received: 15 OCT 2007
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). Grant Numbers: Stu 112/17-3, TR SFB 11
- 2004. Role of the cell adhesion molecule DM-GRASP in growth and orientation of retinal ganglion cell axons. Dev Biol 271: 291–305. , , , .
- 1995. Fish E587 glycoprotein, a member of the L1 family of cell adhesion molecules, participates in axonal fasciculation and the age-related order of ganglion cell axons in the goldfish retina. J Cell Biol 130: 969–976. , , , .
- 2001. Onset and time course of apoptosis in the developing zebrafish retina. Cell Tissue Res 306: 199–207. , , .
- 1999. The roles of intrinsic and extrinsic cues and bHLH genes in the determination of retinal cell fates. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 37–46. .
- 2006. The homeobox gene irx1a is required for the propagation of the neurogenic waves in the zebrafish retina. Mech Dev 123: 252–263. , , , , .
- 2001. Apoptosis in the developing zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol 240: 123–142. , .
- 1999. HCA, an immunoglobulin-like adhesion molecule present on the earliest human hematopoietic precursor cells, is also expressed by stromal cells in blood-forming tissues. Blood 93: 826–837. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Heterophilic interactions of DM-GRASP: GRASP-NgCAM interactions involved in neurite extension. J Cell Biol 133: 657–666. , .
- 1997. Netrin-1 and DCC mediate axon guidance locally at the optic disc: loss of function leads to optic nerve hypoplasia. Neuron 19: 575–589. , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular mechanisms of axon guidance. Science 298: 1959–1964. .
- 2000. The multiple decisions made by growth cones of RGCs as they navigate from the retina to the tectum in Xenopus embryos. J Neurobiol 44: 246–259. , , .
- 1999. Characterization of monoclonal antibodies against zebrafish retina. Invest Ophthalmol Visual Sci Suppl 40: 1251. , , , .
- 1999. Secondary motoneuron axons localize DM-GRASP on their fasciculated segments. J Comp Neurol 406: 415–424. , .
- 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39: 783–791. .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41: 95–98. .
- 1997. Cellular diversification in the vertebrate retina. Curr Opin Genet Dev 7: 651–658. .
- 1999. Retinal neurogenesis: the formation of the initial central patch of postmitotic cells. Dev Biol 207: 309–321. , .
- 1996. Retinoic acid alters photoreceptor development in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 13298–13303. , , , .
- 1994. The molecular cloning and characterization of potential chick DM-GRASP homologs in zebrafish and mouse. J Neurobiol 25: 831–845. , , .
- 2001. Retinal ganglion cell genesis requires lakritz, a zebrafish atonal homolog. Neuron 30: 725–736. , , , , .
- 2005. Staggered cell-intrinsic timing of atoh7 expression underlies the wave of ganglion cell neurogenesis in the zebrafish retina. Development 132: 2573–2585. , , .
- 1989. Genetics and early development of zebrafish. Trends Genet 5: 283–288. .
- 2004. Identification of Nogo-66 receptor (NgR) and homologous genes in fish. Mol Biol Evol 21: 76–85. , , , , , .
- 1991a. Zebrafish pax[zf-a]: a paired box-containing gene expressed in the neural tube. EMBO J 10: 3609–3619. , , , , , .
- 1991b. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193–1206. , , , .
- 1993. A functionally conserved homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene hh is expressed in tissues with polarizing activity in zebrafish embryos. Cell. 75: 1431–1444. , , .
- 2001. MEGA2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis software. Tempe, Arizona. , , , .
- 1970. A factor preventing the major head protein of bacteriophage T4 from random aggregation. J Mol Biol 47: 69–85. , , .
- 1996. Spatiotemporal pattern of retinal ganglion cell differentiation revealed by the expression of neurolin in embryonic zebrafish. J Neurobiol 29: 65–74. , .
- 1994. Molecular characterization of fish neurolin: a growth associated cell surface protein and member of the immunoglobulin superfamily in the fish retinotectal system with similarities to chick protein DM-GRASP/SC-1/BEN. Differentiation 56: 21–29. , , , .
- 2001. Topographic restriction of TAG-1 expression in the developing retinotectal pathway and target dependent reexpression during axon regeneration. Mol Cell Neurosci 17: 398–414. , , , .
- 1999. Neurolin Ig domain 2 participates in retinal axon guidance and Ig domains 1 and 3 in fasciculation. J Cell Biol 144: 339–349. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate neural cell-fate determination: lessons from the retina. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 109–118. , .
- 1997. The Pax protein Noi is required for commissural axon pathway formation in the rostral forebrain. Development 124: 2397–2408. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Comparison of neurolin (ALCAM) and neurolin-like cell adhesion molecule (NLCAM) expression in zebrafish. GEP 6: 952–963. , , .
- 2000. Midline signals regulate retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish. Neuron 27: 251–263. , , , .
- 1999. Gene and genome duplications in vertebrates: the one-to-four (-to-eight in fish) rule and the evolution of novel gene functions. Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 699–704. , .
- 2002. Development of the neural retina in the zebrafish, Brachydanio rerio. PhD thesis, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR. .
- 1986. Simple methods for estimating the numbers of synonymous and nonsynonymous nucleotide substitutions. Mol Biol Evol 3: 418–426. , .
- 2000. Patterning of the zebrafish retina by a wave of sonic hedgehog activity. Science 289: 2137–2139. , .
- 2001. ALCAM (CD166): its role in hematopoietic and endothelial development. Blood 98: 2134–2142. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Gene duplication and the uniqueness of vertebrate genomes circa 1970–1999. Semin. Cell Dev Biol 10: 517–522. .
- 2002. Co-ordinating retinal histogenesis: early cell cycle exit enhances early cell fate determination in the Xenopus retina. Development 129: 2435–2446. , , , , .
- 1998. Neurolin, the goldfish homolog of DM-GRASP, is involved in retinal axon pathfinding to the optic disk. J Neurosci 18: 3363–3372. , , .
- 2001. Function of neurolin (DM-GRASP/SC-1) in guidance of motor axons in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol 235: 86–97. , , , .
- 1992. Neurolin, a cell surface glycoprotein on growing retinal axons in the goldfish visual system, is reexpressed during retinal axonal regeneration. J Cell Biol 117: 863–875. , , .
- 2005. Influences on neuronal lineage and mode of division in the zebrafish retina in vivo. J Cell Biol 171: 991–999. , , , .
- 1994. Cell adhesion molecule SC1/DMGRASP is expressed on growing axons of retina ganglion cells and is involved in mediating their extension on axons. Dev Biol 165: 670–687. , .
- 1992. BEN, a surface glycoprotein of the immunoglobulin superfamily, is expressed in a variety of developing systems. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 5261–5265. , , , , .
- 2007. p53 activation by knockdown technologies. PLoS Genet 3: 788–801. , , , , , , .
- 2003. New insights into the diversity and function of neuronal immunoglobulin superfamily molecules. Annu Rev Neurosci 26: 207–238. , .
- 2004. Sonic hedgehog, secreted by amacrine cells, acts as a short-range signal to direct differentiation and lamination in the zebrafish retina. Development 131: 3849–3858. , , , , .
- 2002. Embryonic retinal gene expression in sonic-you mutant zebrafish. Dev Dyn 225: 344–350. , , , .
- 1988. Retinotopic organization of the developing retinotectal projection in the zebrafish embryo. J Neurosci 8: 4513–4530. .
- 2000. The retinal axon's pathfinding to the optic disk. Prog Neurobiol 62: 197–214. , .
- 1999. Morpholino antisense oligomers: the case for an RNase H-independent structural type. Biochim Biophys Acta 1489: 141–158. .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 1997. The characterization, molecular cloning, and expression of a novel hematopoietic cell antigen from CD34+ human bone marrow cells. Blood 89: 2706–2716. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of an L1-related cell adhesion molecule on developing CNS fiber tracts in zebrafish and its functional contribution to axon fasciculation. Mol Cell Neurosci 9: 77–89. , , , , , .
- 2004. Axon fasciculation defects and retinal dysplasias in mice lacking the immunoglobulin superfamily adhesion molecule BEN/ALCAM/SC1. Mol Cell Neurosci 27: 59–69. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A GFP-based genetic screen reveals mutations that disrupt the architecture of the zebrafish retinotectal projection. Development 132: 2955–2967. , , , .
- 2005. Versican in the developing brain: lamina-specific expression in interneuronal subsets and role in presynaptic maturation. J Neurosci 25: 8457–8467. , .
- 2005. Histone deacetylase 1 regulates retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish by suppressing Wnt and Notch signalling pathways. Development 132: 3027–3043. , , , , , , , .