Computational modeling of human head under blast in confined and open spaces: primary blast injury
Article first published online: 28 AUG 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 69–82, January 2014
How to Cite
Rezaei, A., Salimi Jazi, M. and Karami, G. (2014), Computational modeling of human head under blast in confined and open spaces: primary blast injury. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Biomed. Engng., 30: 69–82. doi: 10.1002/cnm.2590
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2013
- 1Experimental study of blast injuries to the lungs. Lancet 1940; ii:219–224..
- 3Strategies for modeling brain impact injuries. Irish Journal of Medical Science 1998; 167(4):263–264., .
- 5Is Head Injury Caused by Linear or Angular Acceleration? IRCOBI Conference: Lisbon, Portugal, 2003., , , , .
- 10Blast injury. Canadian Medical Association Journal 1967; 96:207–214..
- 13Determination of Equation-of-State Parameters for Four Types of Explosive, US Energy Research & Development Administration under contract No. W-7405-Eng-48. Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, Livermore CA, UCRL 51892, 1975., , , .
- 14LS-DYNA. LS-Dyna keyword user's manual, 2007. Ver. 971, Livermore Software Technology Corporation, pp 18.3(INITIAL) and 50(MAT).
- 15LLNL Explosive Handbook, Properties of Chemical Explosive and Explosive Stimulants. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore CA, Univ. of Calif. Rept. UCRL-52997, 1981., .
- 16Simulation of the effects of an air blast wave. JRC Technical Notes, Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen, 2007. (Available from: http://elsa.jrc.ec.europa.eu/publications/JRC41337.pdf)..
- 17A new ALE formulation for sloshing analysis. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 2003; 16(4)., , , .
- 18The creation of three-dimensional finite element models for simulating head impact biomechanics. International Journal of Crashworthiness 2003; 8(3):1–14., .
- 20Head biomechanics: from the finite element model to the physical model. In Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference. International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact: Brunnen, Switzerland, 1995; 245–260., , .
- 21Intracranial pressure dynamics during head impact. In In Proceeding of 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, Warrendale PA, SAE Paper No. 770922, 1977; 339–366., , .
- 22Correlation of an FE model of the human head with local brain motion – consequences for injury prediction. Stapp Car Crash Journal 2002; 46: 123–143., .
- 24Finite element modeling of direct head impact. In Proceedings of the 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper Number 933114. Society of Automotive Engineers: Warrendale PA, 1993; 69–81., , .
- 26On blast pressure analysis due to a partially confined explosion: 1. Experimental studies. International Journal of Protective Structure 2010; 2:1–20., , , .
- 27Blast induced translational effects. Technical Progress Report, Lovelace Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1966., .
- 28Crash tests and the head injury criterion. Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications 1998; 17(4):162–170..
- 29Intracranial pressure – a brain injury criterion. SAE Technical Paper 801304, 1980. Doi:10.4271/801304., , .
- 30Mechanisms of axonal injury: an experimental and numerical study of a sheep model of head impact. Proceedings of International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact, Sitges, Spain, 1999; 107–120., , , , , , .