Special Issue Paper - Numerical Methods and Applications of Multi-Physics in Biomechanical Modeling
Novel wave intensity analysis of arterial pulse wave propagation accounting for peripheral reflections
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering
Volume 30, Issue 2, pages 249–279, February 2014
How to Cite
Alastruey, J., Hunt, A. A. E. and Weinberg, P. D. (2014), Novel wave intensity analysis of arterial pulse wave propagation accounting for peripheral reflections. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Biomed. Engng., 30: 249–279. doi: 10.1002/cnm.2602
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 DEC 2012
- British Heart Foundation Intermediate Basic Science Research Fellowship. Grant Number: FS/09/030/27812
- Centre of Excellence in Medical Engineering (funded by the Wellcome Trust and EPSRC. Grant Number: WT 088641/Z/09/Z
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre at Guy's and St Thomas' National Health Service (NHS) Foundation Trust and King's College London
- 1Arterial pulse wave haemodynamics. In 11th International Conference on Pressure Surges, Lisbon, Portugal, 24th – 26th October, Anderson S (ed.). Virtual PiE Led t/a BHR Group: 2012; 401–442, ISBN: 9781855981331., , .
- 8Assessment of arterio-ventricular coupling by tissue Doppler and wave intensity in type 2 diabetes. British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease 2006; 6: 271–278., , , , .
- 24Robustness of the P-U and lnD-U loop wave speed estimation methods: effects of the diastolic pressure decay and vessel wall non-linearities. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Boston, MA, USA, 2011; 6446–6449., , , .
- 25A technical assessment of pulse wave velocity algorithms applied to non-invasive arterial waveforms. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2013: 1–13, DOI: 10.1007/s10439-013-0854-y., , , , .
- 26Theoretical analysis of arterial hemodynamics including the influence of bifurcations. Part II: critical evaluation of theoretical model and comparison with noninvasive measurements of flow patterns in normal and pathological cases. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 1981; 9: 165–175., , .
- 30Role and relevancy of a cardiovascular simulator. Cardiovascular Engineering 1998; 3: 48–56., , , .
- 37Reduced models of the cardiovascular system. In Cardiovascular Mathematics. Modeling and Simulation of the Circulatory System, Formaggia L, Quarteroni A, Veneziani A (eds.). Springer-Verlag: Milano, 2009; 347–394., .
- 42Lumped parameter outflow models for 1-D blood flow simulations: effect on pulse waves and parameter estimation. Communications in Computational Physics 2008; 4: 317–336., , , .
- 44Blood Flow in Arteries, Edward Arnold: London, 1974..
- 45The Mechanics of the Circulation, (2nd edn),Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2011., , , .
- 50Cardiovascular Haemodynamics and Doppler Waveforms Explained, Appendix C. Greenwich Medical Media LTD: Cambridge, 2001..
- 52Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing, (2nd edn),Cambridge University Press: New York, 1992., , , .
- 57Wave intensity in the ascending aorta: effects of arterial occlusion. Journal of Biomechanics 2004; 38: 657–655., .
- 61Computer Modelling and Wave Intensity Analysis of Perinatal Cardiovascular Function and Dysfunction. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Melbourne, Australia, 2011..