On hydrodynamics of viscoelastic fluids
Article first published online: 2 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics
Volume 58, Issue 11, pages 1437–1471, November 2005
How to Cite
Lin, F.-H., Liu, C. and Zhang, P. (2005), On hydrodynamics of viscoelastic fluids. Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 58: 1437–1471. doi: 10.1002/cpa.20074
- Issue published online: 29 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 2 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Revised: AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: NOV 2003
- NSF Grant. Grant Number: DMS-0201443
- Petroleum Research Fund (PRF) from the American Chemical Society
- National Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 10131050, 10276036
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
In this paper, we study a hydrodynamic system describing fluids with viscoelastic properties. After a brief examination of the relations between several models, we shall concentrate on a few analytical issues concerning them. In particular, we establish local existence and global existence (with small initial data) of classical solutions for an Oldroyd system without an artificially postulated damping mechanism. © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.