Conflict specialists as leaders: Revisiting the role of the conflict specialist from a leadership perspective
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2012
© Wiley Periodicals, Inc., and the Association for Conflict Resolution
Conflict Resolution Quarterly
Volume 29, Issue 2, pages 103–126, Winter 2011
How to Cite
Kuttner, R. (2011), Conflict specialists as leaders: Revisiting the role of the conflict specialist from a leadership perspective. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 29: 103–126. doi: 10.1002/crq.20042
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2012
- Eye of the Storm Leadership: 150 Ideas, Stories, Quotes and Exercises on the Art and Politics of Managing Human Conflict. Eugene, Oreg.: Resourceful Internet Solutions Inc., 2008.
- “Managing Conflict in Construction Megaprojects: Leadership and Third-Party Principles.” Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 2008, 26(2), 167–198. , and
- Resolving Conflict in Nonprofit Organizations: The Leader's Guide to Finding Constructive Solutions. Saint Paul, Minn.: Wilder Publication, 1999.
- “Two Decades of Research and Development of Transformational Leadership.” European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 1999, 8(1), 9–32.
- The Handbook of Leadership: Theory, Research, and Managerial Applications. New York: The Free Press, 2009. , and
- Transformational Leadership. New York: Lawrence Elbaum Associates, 2006. , and
- “Ethics, Character, and Authentic Transformational Leadership Behavior.” Leadership Quarterly, 1999, 10(2), 181–217. , and
- Capitalizing on Conflict: Strategies and Practices for Turning Conflict to Synergy in Organizations: A Manager's Handbook. Palo Alto, Calif.: Davies-Black, 2002. , and
- Stewardship: Choosing Service over Self-Interest. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 1993.
- The Manager as Negotiator and Dispute Resolver. Washington, D.C.: National Institute for Dispute Resolution, 1985. , , , , and
- “Leadership for the Common Good.” In S. Schuman (ed.), Creating a Culture of Collaboration. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006. , and
- The Promise of Mediation: Responding to Conflict Through Empowerment and Recognition. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1994. , and
- CDR Associates. Conflict Resolution for Managers and Leaders Training Manual: The CDR Associates Training Package. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- “Peace Leadership Program.” [Booklet]. Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, http://www.wagingpeace.org/menu/programs/peace-leaders/plp_booklet.pdf (accessed Sept. 30, 2011).
- Collaborative Leadership: How Citizens and Civic Leaders Can Make a Difference. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1994.
- Mediating Dangerously. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001.
- The End of Management and the Rise of Organizational Democracy. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1997. , and
- The Art of Waking People Up: Cultivating Awareness and Authenticity at Work. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003. , and
- “Impact of Transformational Leadership on Follower Development and Performance: A Field Experiment.” Academy of Management Journal, 2002, 45(4), 735–744. , , , and
- Mediation: A Comprehensive Guide to Resolving Conflict Without Litigation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1984. , and
- “Mediation: Its Forms and Functions.” Southern California Law Review, 1971, 44(2), 305–339.
- The Manager's Conflict Resolution Handbook: A Practical Guide for Creating Positive Change. Dallas: Cornerstone Leadership Institute, 2008. , and
- True North. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- Leading Through Conflict. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Business Press, 2006.
- Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness. Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press, 1977.
- Facilitation Skills for Team Leaders: Leading Organized Teams to Greater Productivity. Crisp Fifty-Minute Series, 2002.
- Leading Without Easy Answers. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press at Harvard University Press, 1994.
- The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Business Press, 2009. , , and
- Effective Leadership Communication: A Guide for Department Chairs and Deans for Managing Difficult Situations and People. Bolton, Mass.: Anker, 2007. , and
- Hostage at the Table: How Leaders Can Overcome Conflict, Influence Others, and Raise Performance. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2008.
- The Leadership Challenge: How to Keep Getting Extraordinary Things Done in Organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1995. , and
- “Human, Not Too Human: Why Is Mediation a Profound Alternative to the Legal Proceedings?” Studies in Law, Politics and Society, 2009, 50, 139–167.
- “From Adversity to Relationality: A Relational View of Integrative Negotiation and Mediation.” Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, 2010, 25(4), 931–974.
- The Manager as Negotiator: Bargaining for Cooperation and Competitive Gain. New York: Free Press, 1986. , and
- The Moral Imagination: The Art and Soul of Building Peace. New York: Oxford, 2005.
- The Next Form of Democracy: How Expert Rule Is Giving Way to Shared Governance and Why Politics Will Never Be the Same. Nashville, Tenn.: Vanderblit University Press, 2006.
- “Complexity Leadership Theory: An Interactive Perspective on Leading in Complex Adaptive Systems.” Emergence: Complexity and Organization, 2006, 8(4), 2–12. , , , , , and
- Catalytic Leadership: Strategies for an Interconnected World. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1998.
- Beyond Neutrality. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Staying with Conflict: A Strategic Approach to Ongoing Disputes. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Shared Leadership: Reframing the Hows and Whys of Leadership. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage, 2003. , and
- Leading Out Loud. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
- How to Lead Work Teams: Facilitation Skills (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass/Pfeiffer, 2001.
- Becoming a Conflict Competent Leader: How You and Your Organization Can Manage Conflict Effectively. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2007. , and
- The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- “The Leader's New Work: Building Learning Organizations.” Sloan Management Review, 1990, 32(1), 7–23.
- “Leading Learning Organizations: The Bold, the Powerful, and the Invisible.” In F. Hesselbein, M. Goldsmite, and R. Beckhard (eds.), The Leader of the Future: New Visions, Strategies and Practices for the Next Era. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 1996.
- Official Leadership in the City: Patterns of Conflict and Cooperation. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.
- “Relational Leadership Theory: Exploring the Social Processes of Leadership and Organizing.” Leadership Quarterly, 2006, 17(6), 654–676.
- The Secrets of Facilitation: The S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Getting Results with Groups. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- Narrative Mediation. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Jossey-Bass, 2000. , and