Mediator and Survivor Perspectives on Screening for Intimate Partner Abuse
Article first published online: 10 APR 2014
© Wiley Periodicals, Inc., and the Association for Conflict Resolution
Conflict Resolution Quarterly
Volume 31, Issue 3, pages 305–330, Spring 2014
How to Cite
Bingham, S. G., Beldin, K. L. and Dendinger, L. (2014), Mediator and Survivor Perspectives on Screening for Intimate Partner Abuse. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 31: 305–330. doi: 10.1002/crq.21090
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 10 APR 2014
- American Bar Association Commission on Domestic Violence. 2008. “Mediation in Family Law Matters Where DV Is Present.” http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/domviol/docs/mediation_january_2008.authcheckdam.pdf.
- 2003. Qualitative Data: An Introduction to Coding and Analysis. New York: New York University Press. , and .
- 2011. “Detecting Intimate Partner Violence in Family and Divorce Mediation: A Randomized Trial of Intimate Partner Violence Screening.” Psychology, Public Policy and Law, 17: 241–63. , , , and .
- 2004. The Basics of Communication Research. Belmont, CA: Thompson/Wadsworth. , and .
- 2011. Intimate Partner Abuse in Divorce Mediation: Outcomes from a Long-Term Multi-Cultural Study. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice. , , , , and .
- 2009. “Analysis of Mediation Agreements of Families Reporting Specific Types of Intimate Partner Abuse.” Family Court Review, 47: 401–15. , , and .
- 2007. “‘Why Aren't We Screening?’ A Survey Examining Domestic Violence Screening Procedures and Training Protocol in Community Mediation Centers.” Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 24: 413–31. , and .
- 2013. Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design, 3rd ed. Los Angeles: Sage.
- Duluth Abuse Intervention Project. n.d. “The Power and Control Wheel.” http://www.theduluthmodel.org/pdf/PowerandControl.pdf.
- 2005. “Divorce Mediation: Research and Reflections.” Family Court Review, 43(1): 22–37. , , and .
- 2008. “Questions about Family Court Domestic Violence Screening and Assessment.” Family Court Review, 46: 523–30.
- 1990. “Gentle Jeopardy: The Further Endangerment of Battered Women and Children in Custody Mediation.” Mediation Quarterly, 7: 315–30.
- 1998. Batterer Intervention: Program Approaches and Criminal Justice Strategies. Issues and Practices in Criminal Justice. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice. , , with .
- 2010. “The Mediator's Assessment of Safety Issues and Concerns (MASIC): A Screening Interview for Intimate Partner Violence and Abuse Available in the Public Domain.” Family Court Review, 48: 646–62. , , and .
- 2008). “Custody Disputes involving Allegations of Domestic Violence: Toward a Differentiated Approach to Parenting Plans.” Family Court Review, 46: 500–22. , , , and . (
- 2008. “Differentiation among Types of Intimate Partner Violence: Research Update and Implications for Interventions.” Family Court Review, 46: 476–99. , and .
- 2007. “Theorizing the Process of Leaving: Turning Points and Trajectories in the Stages of Change.” Family Relations, 56: 413–25. , and .
- 2011. “The Ongoing Debate about Mediation in the Context of Domestic Violence: A Call for Empirical Studies of Mediation Effectiveness.” Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution, 12: 425–69. http://cardozojcr.com/issues/volume-12–2/.
- 2011. Qualitative Communication Research Methods, 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. , and .
- Model Standards of Practice for Family and Divorce Mediation. 2001. Family Court Review, 39: 121–34.
- 2005. “Domestic Violence and Mediation: Responding to the Challenges of Crafting Effective Screens.” Family Law Quarterly, 39: 53–85. , and .
- “Nebraska Mediation Screening Tool.” 2007. Office of Dispute Resolution. http://supremecourt.ne.gov/8607/nebraska-mediation-screening-tool.
- Parenting Act. 2008. Neb. Rev. Stat. § 43–2920 to 43–2943.
- 1997. “Mediating When Domestic Violence Is a Factor: Policies and Practices in Court-Based Divorce Mediation Programs.” Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 14: 319–35.
- 1993. Education Groups for Men Who Batter: The Duluth Model. New York: Springer. , and .
- 2012. “Secondary Victimization of Abused Mothers by Family Court Mediators.” Feminist Criminology, 7: 234–52. , , and . M.
- 2005. Qualitative Interviewing: The Art of Hearing Data. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. , and .
- 2009. “The Emergence of Triage in Family Court Services: The Beginning of the End of Mandatory Mediation?” Family Court Review, 47: 371–88.
- SAMHSA. 2013. “Trauma Informed Care & Trauma Services.” The National Center for Trauma-Informed Care. http://www.samhsa.gov/nctic/trauma.asp.
- 2011. “‘Persist. Persist.’: A Qualitative Study of Women's Decisions to Disclose and Their Perceptions of the Impact of Routine Screening for Intimate Partner Violence.” Psychology of Violence, 1: 150–62. , , and .
- 2007. Coercive Control: How Men Trap Women in Personal Life. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2011. “The Court, the Parent, and the Child: Mediator Perceptions of the Purpose and Impact of Mandated Mediated Child Custody Cases.” Journal of Family Law Studies, 13: 151–71. , , and .
- 2000. Full Report of the Prevalence, Incidence, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence against Women Survey. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. , and .
- 2010. “Help Seeking among Male Victims of Partner Abuse: Men's Hard Times.” Journal of Community Psychology, 38: 769–80. , , and .
- 2009. “Restorative Justice as Social Justice for Victims of Gendered Violence: A Standpoint Feminist Perspective.” Social Work, 57: 107–16.
- 2004. “‘If I Killed You, I'd Get the Kids’: Women's Survival and Protection Work with Child Custody and Access in the Context of Woman Abuse.” Qualitative Sociology, 27: 77–99. , and
- 2003. “Yes, No, and Maybe: Informed Decision Making about Divorce Mediation in the Presence of Domestic Violence.” William and Mary Journal of Women and the Law, 9(145): 1–63.
- 2008. “Report from the Wingspread Conference on Domestic Violence and Family Courts.” Family Court Review, 46: 454–75. , and
- 2003. “Interventions for Violence against Women: Scientific Review.” Journal of the American Medical Association, 289: 589–99. , and .
- 2013. Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, and Culture. Boston: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.