The research described in this article has been reviewed and approved for publication as an EPA document. Approval does not necessarily signify that the contents reflects the views and policies of the Agency, nor does mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.
Article first published online: 25 FEB 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Cytometry Part A
Special Issue: Commemorating the 25th ISAC Anniversary
Volume 58A, Issue 1, pages 45–52, March 2004
How to Cite
Leif, R. C., Stein, J. H. and Zucker, R. M. (2004), A short history of the initial application of anti–5-BrdU to the detection and measurement of S phase. Cytometry, 58A: 45–52. doi: 10.1002/cyto.a.20012
In memoriam: Albert Castro and Howard Gratzner, for their pioneering studies in the application of anti–5-BrdU for the detection and measurement of S phase of the cell cycle.
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 25 FEB 2004
- 5Technique. In: Atlas of exfoliative cytology. Volume 5. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1954. p. 3–12..
- 135-Halogenated analogs of deoxycytidine as selective inhibitors of the replication of Herpes simplex viruses in cell culture and related studies of intracranial Herpes simplex virus infections in mice. In: BlochA, editor. Chemistry, biology, and clinical uses of nucleoside analogs. Volume 255. New York: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences; 1975. p 359–365., , , .
- 14Newport Instruments. Available at: www.newportinstruments.com.
- 18Markers for instrumental evaluation of cells of the female reproductive tract: existing and new markers. In: WiedGL, BahrGF, BartelsPH, editors. The automation of uterine cancer cytology. Chicago: Tutorials of Cytology; 1976. p 313–344., , , , , .
- 20A proposal for an automated multiparameter analyzer for cells (AMAC). In: WiedGL, BahrGF, editors. Automated cell identification and sorting. New York: Academic Press; 1970. p 131–159..
- 22Nucleic acids. A study of techniques for the cytochemical demonstration of nucleic acids and some components of proteins. Soc Exp Biol 1947; 1: 101..
- 23Using flow cytometers: applications, extensions, and alternatives. In: Practical flow cytometry. 4th ed. Hoboken: Wiley-Liss; 2003. p 456–457..
- 24Detection of 5-bromo-2-deoxyuridine incorporated into DNA by labeling strand breaks induced by photolysis (SBIP). Int J Oncol 1994; 4: 1157–1161., , , .
- 26Principles, relative merits and limitation of current cytokinetic methods. In: DrewinkoB, HumphreyKA, editors. Growth kinetics and biochemical regulation of normal and malignant cells. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1977. p. 101–112..
- 27Rapid cell cycle analysis by measurement of the radioactivity per cell in a narrow window in S phase (RCSi). Cell Tissue Kinet 1977; 10: 97–109., , , .
- 35A monoclonal antibody directed against 2-amino-6-hydroxy-5-(n-methyl)-4-(5′-phosphoryl) ribosylaminopyrimidine (imidazole ring-opened 7-methyl guanylic acid). Fed Proc 1986; 45: 1787., , .
- 40Progress in the use of Quantum Dye® Eu(III)-macrocycles. In: Nicolau DV, Enderlein J, Leif RC, Farkas DL, editors. Manipulation and analysis of biomolecules, cells and tissues. Volume 4962. New York: Proceedings of the SPIE; 2003. p 341–353., , , , .