This research has been enabled by the use of computing resources provided by the Western Canada Research Grid (WestGrid) and Compute/Calcul Canada. The authors would like to thank Greg Finak, Raphael Gottardo, and Nishant Gopalakrishnan from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Thomas Lumley from the Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington for their comments on an earlier version of this manuscript for the flowMeans Bioconductor package.
Rapid cell population identification in flow cytometry data†
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 International Society for Advancement of Cytometry
Cytometry Part A
Volume 79A, Issue 1, pages 6–13, January 2011
How to Cite
Aghaeepour, N., Nikolic, R., Hoos, H. H. and Brinkman, R. R. (2011), Rapid cell population identification in flow cytometry data. Cytometry, 79A: 6–13. doi: 10.1002/cyto.a.21007
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2010
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar Award
- MSFHR/CIHR Training Program
- A University of British Columbia's graduate fellowship. Grant Number: 1R01EB008400
- NSERC Discovery Grant
- 5Reduction of variation in T-cell subset enumeration among 55 laboratories using single-platform, three or four-color flow cytometry based on CD45 and SSC-based gating of lymphocytes. Cytometry Part B: Clinical Cytometry 2002; 50: 92–101., , , , .
- 7Per-channel basis normalization methods for flow cytometry data. Cytometry Part A 2009; 77A: 121–131., , , , , , , , , , Gentleman R, Brinkman R.
- 8A Survey of Flow Cytometry Data Analysis Methods. Adv Bioinformatics 2009; 584603, .
- 10Merging mixture model components for improved cell population identification in high throughput flow cytometry data. Advances in Bioinformatics 2009; 100., , , .
- 11Combining mixture components for clustering. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 2010;19:332–353., , , , .
- 15Automated identification of subpopulations in flow cytometric list mode data using cluster analysis. Cytometry Part A 2005; 6A: 302–309..
- 16X-means: Extending K-means with efficient estimation of the number of clusters. In Proceedings of the Seventeenth International Conference on Machine Learning table of contents, San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc, 2000. p 727–734., .
- 17Learning the K in k-means. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 2004; 17: 281–288., .
- 18Finding groups in data: an introduction to cluster analysis. New York: Wiley; 1990., .
- 20Multivariate density estimation: theory, practice, and visualization. New York: Wiley-Interscience; 1992..
- 21V-measure: A conditional entropy-based external cluster evaluation measure. In Proceedings of the 2007 Joint Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and Computational Natural Language Learning, (EMNLP-CoNLL); Prague, Czech Republic. 2007. p 410–420., .
- 24A computational efficient covariance matrix update and a (1+ 1)-CMA for evolution strategies. In Proceedings of the 8th annual conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, GECCO ’06. New York: ACM. ISBN 1-59593-186-4; 2006: p 453–460., , .