How to cite this article: Mandy F, Janossy G, Bergeron M, Pilon R, Faucher S. Affordable CD4 T-Cell Enumeration for Resource-Limited Regions: A Status Report for 2008. Cytometry Part B 2008; 74B (Suppl. 1): S27–S39, 2008.
Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2008 Clinical Cytometry Society
Cytometry Part B: Clinical Cytometry
Supplement: The Global Health and Diagnostic (Flow) Cytometry-Breakthrough in HIV and Tuberculosis
Volume 74B, Issue S1, pages S27–S39, 2008
How to Cite
Mandy, F., Janossy, G., Bergeron, M., Pilon, R. and Faucher, S. (2008), Affordable CD4 T-cell enumeration for resource-limited regions: A status report for 2008. Cytometry, 74B: S27–S39. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.20414
Clinical Cytometry supplement (74B, Supplement 1, 2008) titled ‘The Global Health and Diagnostic (Flow) Cytometry-Breakthrough in HIV and Tuberculosis’ is sponsored by Beckman Coulter, BD Biosciences and Caltag-Medisystems. The contributing authors to this article have declared the following conflicts of interest: Francis Mandy works as a part-time consultant for PointCare Technologies as a technical writer and advisor. The remaining authors have declared no conflicts of interest.
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2008
- 1WHO/UNAIDS. Emergency scale-up of antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: Technical and operational recommendations to achieve 3 by 5. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2004. p 41.
- 15CDC. 1995 revised guidelines for prophylaxis against Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia for children infected with or perinatally exposed to human immunodeficiency virus. National Pediatric and Family HIV Resource Center and National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1995; 44: 1–11.
- 17‘Killer’ applications: Towards affordable rapid cell-based diagnostics for malaria and tuberculosis. Cytometry Part B 2008; 74B ( Suppl. 1): in press. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.20401 (this issue)., .
- 18National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Clinical application of flow cytometry: Immunophenotyping of lymphocytes, approved guideline. Pennsylvania: NCCLS; 1998.
- 26Guava Technologies. The power of single cell analysis and counting through microcytometry. 2003. Available at www.guavatechnologies.com.
- 28www.Partec.com/EssentialHealthCare HIV, AIDS, TB, malaria.
- 29www.PointCare.net/pointcare NOWfor near-patient HIV monitoring.
- 30Affordable diagnostics: Changing the paradigm in India. Cytometry Part B 2008; 74B( Suppl. 1): in press. DOI: 10.1002/cyto. b.20402 (this issue)..
- 34A combined HIV-1 protein bead array for serology assay and T-cell subset immunophenotyping with a hybrid flow cytometer: A step in the direction of a comprehensive multitasking instrument platform for infectious disease diagnosis and monitoring. Cytometry Part B 2006; 70B: 179–188., , , , , , , , .
- 35New trends in affordable CD4 T-cell enumeration by flow cytometry in HIV/AIDS. Clin Appl Immunol Rev 2003; 4: 91–107., , .
- 44Guidelines for performing single-platform absolute CD4+ T-cell determinations with CD45 gating for persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep 2003; 52: 1–13., , .
- 45Large-scale affordable panleucogated CD4 testing with proactive internal- and external quality assessment—in support of the South African National Comprehensive Care, Treatment, and Management Programme for HIV/AIDS. Cytometry Part B (Clin Cytometry) 2008; 74B ( Suppl. 1): in press. DOI: 10.1002/cyto.b.20384 (this issue)., , , , , , , ,
- 46A multi-laboratory study of CD4 counts using Flow Cytometric PanLeukogating (PLG): A NIAID-DAIDS Immunology Quality Assessment Program study. Cytometry Part B (Clin Cytometry) 2008; 74B ( Suppl 1): In press. DOI: 10.1002/cyto.b.20417., , , , , , , , ,
- 55African regional external quality assessment (AFREQAS) for CD4 T-cell enumeration: Development, outcomes, and performance of laboratories. Cytometry Part B 2008; 74B ( Suppl. 1): in press. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.20397 (this issue)., , , , .
- 572004. Abstract., , , . Evaluation of CD4 assay formats on the BD FACSArray Bioanalyser. Presented at the XV International AIDS Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 59CD8/ CD38 activation yields important clinical information of effective anti-retroviral therapy (ART): Findings from the first year of the CIPRA-SA cohort. Cytometry Part B 2008; 74B ( Suppl. 1): in press. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.20391 (this issue)., , , , , , , .
- 622006., , , . The HIVRMI: A new affordable quantitative HIV monitoring tool. Presented at the XVI International AIDS Conference [MOPE0091]. Toronto, Canada