Neuroimaging in pediatric traumatic brain injury: Current and future predictors of functional outcome
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews
Special Issue: Acquired Central Nervous System Injuries
Volume 15, Issue 2, pages 117–123, 2009
How to Cite
Suskauer, S. J. and Huisman, T. A.G.M. (2009), Neuroimaging in pediatric traumatic brain injury: Current and future predictors of functional outcome. Dev Disabil Res Revs, 15: 117–123. doi: 10.1002/ddrr.62
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 APR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 13 FEB 2009
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Grant Number: K12HD001097
- 2002. Diffusion tensor MR imaging in diffuse axonal injury. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 23: 794–802. , , , et al.
- 1997. MRI of head injury using FLAIR. Neuroradiology 39: 239–242. , , .
- 2000. Predictive value of proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in pediatric closed head injury. Pediatr Neurol 23: 114–125. , , , et al.
- 2005. Susceptbility weighted imaging: neuropsychologic outcome and pediatric head injury. Pediatr Neurol 33: 184–194. , , , et al.
- 2006. MR spectroscopy: predicting long-term neuropsychological outcome following pediatric TBI. J Magn Reson Imaging 24: 801–811. , , , et al.
- 2004. Pathophysiology of traumatic injury in the developing brain: an introduction and short update. Exp Toxicol Pathol 56: 65–73. , .
- 2008. Longitudinal changes in patients with traumatic brain injury assessed with diffusion-tensor and volumetric imaging. Neuroimage 42: 503–514. , , , et al.
- 2007. Global white matter analysis of diffusion tensor images is predictive of injury severity in traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 24: 446–459. , , , et al.
- 2007. Diffusion tensor imaging in children and adolescents: reproducibility, hemispheric, and age-related differences. Neuroimage 34: 733–742. , , , et al.
- 2003. The association of early computed tomography scan findings and ambulation, self-care, and supervision needs at rehabilitation discharge and at 1 year after traumatic braininjury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84: 214–220. , , , et al.
- 1998. Neuroimaging, physical, and developmental findings after inflicted and noninflicted traumatic brain injury in young children. Pediatrics 102: 300–307. , , , et al.
- 2000. Acute neuroradiologic findings in young children with inflicted or noninflicted traumatic brain injury. Child Nerv Sys 16: 25–34. , , , et al.
- 1998. Proton MR spectroscopic findings correspond to neuropsychological function in traumatic brain injury. Am J Neuroradiol 19: 1879–1885. , , , et al.
- 2008. Diffusion-weighted imaging improves outcome prediction in pediatric traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 25: 1153–1162. , , , , .
- 2001. Acute and chronic changes of the apparent diffusion coefficient in neurological disorders––biophysical mechanisms and possible underlying histopathology. J Neurol Sci 186: S15–S23. , , .
- 1988. Prospective comparative study of intermediate field MR and CT in the evaluation of closed head trauma. Am J Neuroradiol 9: 91–100. , , , et al.
- 2000. Neuroimaging variables related to development of secondary attention deficit hyperactivity disorder after closed head injury in children and adolescents. Brain Inj 14: 205–218. , , , et al.
- 2001. Depth of lesion model in children and adolescents with moderate to severe traumatic brain injury: use of SPGR MRI to predict severity and outcome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 70: 350–358. , , , et al.
- 2008. New onset obsessive-compulsive symptoms in children and adolescents with severe traumatic brain injury. Depress Anxiety 25: 398–407. , , , et al.
- 2004. Susceptibility weighted imaging (SWI). Magn Reson Med 52: 612–618. , , , et al.
- 1999. Is the spatial distribution of brain lesions associated with closed-head injury predictive of subsequent development of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder? Analysis with brain-image database. Radiology 213: 389–394. , , , et al.
- 2006. Prospective longitudinal proton magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging in adult traumatic brain injury. J Magn Reson Imaging 24: 33–40. , , , et al.
- 2005. Anoxic versus traumatic brain injury: amount of tissue loss, not etiology, alters cognitive and emotional function. Neuropsychology 19: 233–242. , , .
- 2003. Diffusion-weighted imaging: basic concepts and application in cerebral stroke and head trauma. Eur Radiol 13: 2283–2297. .
- 2003. Diffusion-weighted imaging for the evaluation of diffuse axonal injury in closed head injury. J Comput Assist Tomogr 27: 5–11. , , , et al.
- 2004. Diffusion tensor imaging as potential biomarker of white matter injury in diffuse axonal injury. Am J Neuroradiol 25: 370–376. , , , et al.
- 2004. A population-based comparison of clinical and outcome characteristics of young children with serious inflicted and noninflicted traumatic brain injury. Pediatrics 114: 633–639. , , , et al.
- 2005. Response inhibition after traumatic brain injury (TBI) in children: impairment and recovery. Dev Neuropsychol 28: 829–848. , , , et al.
- 2005. Neuroimaging in traumatic brain injury. NeuroRx 2: 372–383. , .
- 2008. Focal lesions in acute mild traumatic brain injury and neurocognitive outcome: CT versus 3T MRI. J Neurotrauma 25: 1049–1056. , , , et al.
- 2003. Neuroplasticity following non-penetrating traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 17: 665–674. .
- 1997. Magnetic resonance imaging in relation to functional outcome of pediatric closed head injury: a test of the Ommaya-Gennarelli Model. Neurosurg Online 40: 432–441. , , .
- 2008. Diffusion tensor imaging in relation to cognitive and functional outcome of traumatic brain injury in children. J Head Trauma Rehabil 23: 197–208. , , , et al.
- 2005. Predictors of secondary attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents 6 to 24 months after traumatic brain injury. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 44: 1041–1049. , , , et al.
- 2006. Predictors of personality change due to traumatic brain injury in children and adolescents six to twenty-four months after injury. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 18: 21–32. , , , et al.
- 2004. An investigation of neuronal integrity in severe paediatric traumatic brain injury. Child Neuropsychol 10: 248–261. , , , et al.
- 2007. MRI patterns in prolonged low response states following traumatic brain injury in children and adolescents. Brain Inj 21: 63–68. , , , et al.
- 2007. Do lesion site and severity predict deficits in attentional control after preschool traumatic brain injury (TBI)? Brain Inj 21: 279–292. , , , et al.
- 2005. Neuroanatomic correlates of the CVLT-C performance following pediatric traumatic brain injury. JINS 11: 686–696. , , , et al.
- 2002. Correlation of white matter diffusivity and anisotropy with age during childhood and adolescence: a cross-sectional diffusion-tensor MR imaging study. Radiology 222: 212–218. , , , et al.
- 2006. Computed tomography findings and early cognitive outcome after traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 20: 997–1005. , , , et al.
- 2008. Diffusion tensor imaging during recovery from severe traumatic brain injury and relation to clinical outcome: a longitudinal study. Brain 131: 559–572. , , , et al.
- 2002. Performance on measures of executive function following pediatric traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 16: 759–772. , , , et al.
- 1997. Age-related differences in outcomes following childhood brain insults: an introduction and overview. JINS 3: 555–567. , .
- 2003. Hemorrhagic shearing lesions in children and adolescents with posttraumatic diffuse axonal injury: improved detection and initial results. Radiology 227: 332–339. , , , et al.
- 2004. Diffuse axonal injury in children: clinical correlation with hemorrhagic lesions. Ann Neurol 56: 36–50. , , , et al.
- 2004. Neuroimaging correlates of anxiety after pediatric traumatic brain injury. Biol Psychiatry 55: 208–216. , , , et al.
- 2001. Correlation of atrophy measures on MRI with neuropsychological sequelae in children and adolescents with traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 15: 211–221. , , , et al.
- 2008. Late proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy following traumatic brain injury during early childhood: relationship with neurobehavioral outcomes. J Neurotrauma 25: 94–103. , , , et al.
- 1995. Acute human stroke studied by whole brain echo planar diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging. Ann Neurol 37: 231–241. , , , et al.
- 2005. Frontal and temporal morphometric findings on MRI in children after moderate to severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 22: 333–344. , , , et al.
- 2006. Diffusion tensor imaging in the corpus callosum in children after moderate to severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 23: 1412–1426. , , , et al.
- 2008. Diffusion tensor imaging of acute mild traumatic brain injury in adolescents. Neurology 70: 948–955. , , , et al.
- 2007. Neurocognitive and neuroimaging correlates of pediatric traumatic brain injury: a diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) study. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 22: 555–568. , , , et al.
- 2006. Magnetic resonance spectroscopy detects brain injury and predicts cognitive functioning in children with brain injuries. J Neurotrauma 23: 1427–1435. , , , et al.
- 2007. Diffusion tensor MR imaging reveals persistent white matter alteration after traumatic brain injury experienced during early childhood. Am J Neuroradiol 28: 1919–1925. , , , et al.