The contents do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and endorsement by the Federal Government should not be assumed.
Intervention for individuals with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: Treatment approaches and case management†
Version of Record online: 3 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews
Special Issue: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
Volume 15, Issue 3, pages 258–267, 2009
How to Cite
Paley, B. and O'Connor, M. J. (2009), Intervention for individuals with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: Treatment approaches and case management. Dev Disabil Res Revs, 15: 258–267. doi: 10.1002/ddrr.67
- Issue online: 3 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAR 2009
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Grant Number: U84/CCU925033-01
- 2007. Language and literacy outcomes from a pilot intervention study for children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in South Africa. Alcohol 41: 403–414. , , , et al.
- 2008. The developmental origin of adolescent alcohol use: findings from the mater university study of pregnancy and its outcomes. Drug Alcohol Depend 98: 136–143. , , , et al.
- 2006. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in Finland: clinical delineation of 77 older children and adolescents. Am J Med Genet 140A: 137–143. , , , et al.
- 2003. A 21-year longitudinal analysis of the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on young adult drinking. Arch Gen Psychiatry 60: 377–385. , , , et al.
- 1998. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. A handbook for diagnosis and treatment, 2nd ed. New York: Guilford. .
- 2002. Some implications of prenatal alcohol exposure for the treatment of adolescents with sexually offending behaviors. Sexual Abuse J Res Treatment 14: 313–237. .
- On behalf of the FASD Intervention Group 2009. Interventions for children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: overview of findings for five innovative research projects. Res Dev Disabil 30: 986–1006. .
- 2006. Association of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and gestational alcohol exposure. J Attention Disord 9: 515–522. , , .
- 2004. Foster parent perceptions of placement needs for children with a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Children Youth Serv Rev 27: 309–327. , , .
- 2006. Interventions in FASD: we must do better. Child Care Health Dev 33: 398–400. .
- 2007. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and mental illness. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 6: 383–396. , , .
- 2009. Treatment of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: are we ready yet? J Clin Psychopharmacol 29: 1–4. , .
- 2003. Fetal alcohol syndrome: neuropsychiatric phenomics. Neurotoxicol Teratol 25: 697–705. , , , et al.
- 2004. Fetal alcohol syndrome in the United States corrections system. Addict Biol 9: 177–178. , , , et al.
- 1998. Neuropsychological deficits in adolescents with fetal alcohol syndrome: clinical findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 1998–2012. , , , et al.
- 1992. Prenatal exposure to alcohol and school problems in late childhood: a longitudinal prospective study. Dev Psychopathol 4: 341–359. , , , et al.
- 1997. Hearing, language, speech, vestibular, and dentofacial disorders in fetal alcohol syndrome. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21: 227–237. , , , et al.
- 2001. A survey of medication responses in children and adolescents with fetal alcohol syndrome. Ment Health Aspects Dev Disabil 4: 148–155. , , , et al.
- 2009. Math performance and behavior problems in children affected by prenatal alcohol exposure: intervention and follow-up. J Dev Behav Pediatr 30: 7–15. , , .
- 2007. Games that “work”: using computer games to teach alcohol-affected children about fire and street safety. Res Dev Disabil 28: 518–530. , , , et al.
- 2008. Medication effects on symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in child with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 18: 365–371. , , .
- 2005. School experiences of students with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Exceptionality Educ Can 15: 51–75. , .
- 1998. Parent-child interaction therapy for oppositional preschoolers. In: ShaeferCE,BriesmeisterJM, editors. Handbook of parent training: parents as cotherapists for children's behavior problems,2nd ed. New York, NY: Wiley. p 61–92. , .
- 1998. Mental illness in adults with fetal alcohol syndrome or fetal alcohol effects. Am J Psychiatry 155: 552–554. , , .
- FASD Regional Training Centers Consortium. 2007. Educating health professionals about fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Am J Health Educ 38: 364–373.
- 2004. The challenge of fetal alcohol syndrome in the criminal justice system. Addict Biol 9: 161–166. , .
- 2003. Children's friendship training. New York, NY: Brunner-Routledge. , .
- 2002. Prenatal ethanol exposure and spatial navigation: effects of postnatal handling and aging. Dev Psychobiol 40: 345–357. , , .
- 2006. Pediatricians' knowledge, training, and experience in the care of children with fetal alcohol syndrome. Pediatrics 118: 657–668. , , , et al.
- 2004. A pilot community intervention for women with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Commun Ment Health J 40: 499–511. , , , et al.
- 2002. Benefits and challenges of paraprofessional advocacy with mothers who abuse alcohol and drugs and their children. Zero Three 23: 14–20. , , .
- 2007. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: understanding the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure and supporting students. J School Health 77: 103–108. .
- 2009. Foetal alcohol spectrum disorders and alterations in brain and behavior. Alcohol Alcohol Res 44: 108–114. , , .
- 2005. Fetal alcohol effects: potential treatments from basic science. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29: 1074–1079. , , , et al.
- 2000. Amelioration of fetal alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorders in rats: exploring pharmacological and environmental treatments. Neurotoxicol Teratol 22: 103–111. , .
- 1993. Environmental enrichment and the behavioral effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol in rats. Neurotoxicol Teratol 15: 261–266. , , .
- 2007. Postnatal environmental or experiential amelioration of neurobehavioral effects of perinatal alcohol exposure in rats. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31: 202–211. , , .
- (The Lewin Group for the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism). 1998. Updating estimates of the economic costs of alcohol abuse in the United States: estimates, update methods, and data. Rockville, MD, USA: National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services; 1998. Report No.: 98-4327. Contract No.: N01-AA-7-1010. .
- 2008. Suicide attempts among adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: clinical implications. Ment Health Aspects Dev Disabil 11: 33–41. , , , et al.
- 2008. Children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a descriptive profile of adaptive function. Can J Occupational Ther 75: 238–248. , , .
- 2009. Plasticity and injury in the developing brain. Brain Dev 31: 1–10. , , , et al.
- 1973. Recognition of the fetal alcohol syndrome in early infancy. Lancet 2: 999–1001. , .
- 2007. Socio-cognitive habilitation using the math interactive learning experience program for alcohol affected children. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31: 1425–1434. , , .
- 2007. FASD: what types of intervention and rehabilitation are useful? Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31: 278–285. , .
- 2009. Animal models of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: impact of the social environment. Dev Disabil Res Rev 15: 200–208. , , .
- 2007. Defining the behavioral phenotype in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31: 192–201. .
- 2004. Characteristics of children who have full or incomplete fetal alcohol syndrome. J Pediatr 145: 635–640. , , , et al.
- 2007. Adaptation of the children's friendship training program for children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Child Fam Behav Ther 29: 57–69. , , , et al.
- 1999. Infantile handling eliminates reversal learning deficits in rats parentally exposed to alcohol. Alcohol 18: 49–53. , .
- 2008. The effects of rehearsal training on working memory span of children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Res Dev Disabil 29: 113–124. , , , et al.
- 2004. Cost of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Am J Med Genet 127C: 42–50. , , .
- 1998. Neuropsychological comparison of alcohol-exposed children with or without physical features of fetal alcohol syndrome. Neuropsychology 12: 146–153. , , , et al.
- 2001. Estimating the prevalence of fetal alcohol syndrome: a summary. Alcohol Res Health 25: 159–167. , .
- 2009. Prevalence and epidemiologic characteristics of FASD from various research methods with an emphasis on recent in-school studies. Dev Disabil Res Rev 15: 176–192. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Social information processing in children with histories of heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. J Abnormal Child Psychol 37: 817–830. , , , et al.
- 2008. Social problem solving deficits in adolescents with prenatal exposure to alcohol. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 34: 423–431. , , , et al.
- 2007. Social and behavioral functioning in individuals with prenatal alcohol exposure. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 6: 369–382. , .
- 2009. Need to establish a diagnostic capacity for foetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Pediatr Child Health 45: 79–81. , , , et al.
- 2005. “New choices” for substance using mothers and their young children: preliminary evaluation. J Substance Use 10: 239–251. , .
- 2006. A controlled social skills training for children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Consult Clin Psychol 74: 639–648. , , , et al.
- 2002. Psychiatric illness in a clinical sample of children with prenatal alcohol exposure. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 28: 743–754. , , , et al.
- 1992. Attachment behavior of infants exposed prenatally to alcohol: mediating effects of infant affect and mother-infant interaction. Dev Psychopathol 4: 243–256. , , .
- 2007. Responding to the challenge of early intervention for fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Infants Young Children 20: 172–189. , , , et al.
- 2000. Psychostimulant clinical response in fetal alcohol syndrome. Can J Psychiatry 45: 90–91. , , .
- 2002. Clinical implications of a link between fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Can J Psychiatry 47: 349–354. , .
- 1998. Effectiveness of methylphenidate in native American children with fetal alcohol syndrome and/or attention deficity/hyperactivity disorder: a controlled pilot study. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 8: 39–48. , , , et al.
- 1997. The relationship between peer, social, and school factors, and delinquency among youth. J School Health 67: 27–33. , .
- 2007. Neurocognitive and neurobehavioral impairments in individuals with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: recognition and assessment. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 6: 127–142. , .
- 2009. Integrating case topics in medical school curriculum to enhance multiple skill learning: using fetal alcohol spectrum disorders as an exemplary case. Acad Psychiatry 33: 143–148. , , , et al.
- 2006. Predictors of stress in parents of children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Dev Behav Pediatr 27: 396–404. , , , et al.
- 2005. Prenatal alcohol exposure, child externalizing behavior, and maternal stress. Parenting Sci Practice 5: 29–56. , , , et al.
- 1998. Variables that initiate and maintain and early-onset trajectory for juvenile offending. Dev Psychopathol 10: 531–547. , , , .
- 2006. Research-based interventions for children and youth with a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: revealing the gap. Child Care Health Dev 33: 389–397. , , , et al.
- 2005. Executive functioning and working memory in fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29: 1359–1367. .
- 2003. Neurobehavioral consequences of prenatal alcohol exposure: an international perspective. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27: 362–373. , , , et al.
- 2006. On, yet under, the radar: students with fetal alcohol syndrome disorder. Exceptional Children 72: 363–379. , .
- 2008. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: New Zealand birth mothers' experiences. Can J Clin Pharmacol 15: e191–e213. .
- 2005. Moral maturity and delinquency following prenatal alcohol exposure. J Stud Alcohol 66: 545–555. , , .
- 2007. Clinical competencies for professionals working with children and families affected by fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. J Psychol Practice 14: 67–92. , .
- 2004. Prevention of unintentional injury to people with intellectual disability: a review of the evidence. J Intell Disabil Res 48: 639–645. , , .
- 1997. Stimulant efficacy in children with FAS. In: StreissguthA,KanterJ, editors. The challenge of fetal alcohol syndrome: overcoming secondary disabilities. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press. p 64–77. , , , et al.
- 1997. Fetal alcohol syndrome: a guide for families and communities. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brooks. .
- 2007. Offspring effects of prenatal alcohol exposure from birth to 25 years: the seattle prospective longitudinal study. J Clin Psychol Med Settings 14: 81–101. .
- 1996. Understanding the occurrence of secondary disabilities in clients with fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) and fetal alcohol effects (FAE): final report to the center for disease control. Seattle: University of Washington, Fetal Alcohol and Drug Unit. , , , et al.
- 2004. Risk factors for adverse life outcomes in fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol effects. J Dev Behav Pediatr 25: 228–238. , , , et al.
- 2000. Neuropsychiatric implications and long-term consequences of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Semin Clin Neuropsychiatry 5: 177–190. , .
- 2008. Voluntary exercise influences behavioral development in rats exposed to alcohol during the neonatal brain growth spurt. Behav Neurosci 122: 1264–1273. , , .
- VON Canada. 2006. Parenting guidelines for families of children with FAS/FAE. Available at: http://www.von.ca/FASD/VON%20FASD%20Research%20Report%20FINAL%2006-06-30.pdf.
- 2008. With a little help from your friends: the importance of high-quality friendships on early adolescent adjustment. Social Dev 17: 832–852. , , .
- 2008. A comparison of psychopathology in children with and without prenatal alcohol exposure. Ment Health Aspects Dev Disabil 11: 69–78. , , .
- 2004. Consensus statement on FASD. Washington, DC: National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. , , , et al.
- 2003. Strategies for addressing the executive function impairments of students prenatally exposed to alcohol and other drugs. Commun Disord Quart 24: 194–204. , .
- 2007. Psychologists' knowledge and attitudes about fetal alcohol syndrome. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, and alcohol use during pregnancy. Professional Psychol Res Practice 38: 208–213. , , , et al.
- 2001. Comparison of the adaptive functioning of children prenatally exposed to alcohol to a nonexposed clinical sample. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25: 118–124. , , .