The contents do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and endorsement by the Federal Government should not be assumed.
Psychiatric conditions associated with prenatal alcohol exposure†
Version of Record online: 3 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews
Special Issue: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
Volume 15, Issue 3, pages 225–234, 2009
How to Cite
O'Connor, M. J. and Paley, B. (2009), Psychiatric conditions associated with prenatal alcohol exposure. Dev Disabil Res Revs, 15: 225–234. doi: 10.1002/ddrr.74
- Issue online: 3 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAR 2009
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Grant Number: UDD000041
- 2006. In utero alcohol exposure and prediction of alcohol disorders in early adulthood: a birth cohort study. Arch Gen Psychiatry 63: 1009–1016. , , , et al.
- 2008. The developmental origin of adolescent alcohol use: findings from the Mater University Study of Pregnancy and its outcomes. Drug Alcohol Depend 98: 136–143. , , , et al.
- 2006. Alcohol consumption before and during pregnancy comparing concurrent and retrospective reports. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30: 510–515. , , , et al.
- 2005. Consistency of reported alcohol use by pregnant women: anonymous versus confidential questionnaires with item nonresponse differences. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29: 1444–1449. , , .
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- 1998. Prenatal alcohol exposure and family history of alcoholism in the etiology of adolescent alcohol problems. J Stud Alcohol 59: 533–543. , , , et al.
- 2003. A 21-year longitudinal analysis of the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on young adult drinking. Arch Gen Psychiatry 60: 377–385. , , , et al.
- 2006. Binge drinking during pregnancy as a predictor of psychiatric disorders on the structured clinical interview for DSM-IV in young adult offspring. Am J Psychiatry 163: 1061–1065. , , , et al.
- 2008. A developmental perspective on alcohol and youths 16 to 20 years of age. Pediatrics 121 ( Suppl): 5290–5310. , , , et al.
- 2007. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and mental illness. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 6: 383–396. , , .
- 2003. Fetal alcohol syndrome: neuropsychiatric phenomics. Neurotoxicol Teratol 25: 697–705. , , , et al.
- 2004. Fetal alcohol syndrome in the United States corrections system. Addict Biol 9: 177–178. , , , et al.
- 2008. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder-associated depression: Evidence for reduction in the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in a mouse model. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 90: 614–624. , , , et al.
- 1998b. Neuropsychological deficits in adolescents with fetal alcohol syndrome: clinical findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 1998–2012. , , , et al.
- 1998a. Development and psychopathology: fetal alcohol syndrome and related conditions. Semin Clin Neuropsychiatry 3: 262–284. , , .
- 2001. Lessons learned from study of the developmental impact of parental alcohol use. Infant Ment Health J 22: 271–290. , , .
- 1992. Prenatal exposure to alcohol and school problems in late childhood: a longitudinal prospective study. Dev Psychopathol 4: 341–359. , , , et al.
- 1997. Association of prenatal alcohol exposure with behavioral and learning problems in early adolescence. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 36: 1187–1194. , , , et al.
- 1997. A comparison of children affected by prenatal alcohol exposure and attention deficit, hyperactivity disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21: 150–161. , , , et al.
- 2003. Children of mothers with serious substance abuse problems: an accumulation of risks. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 29: 743–758. , , , et al.
- 2007. Causal inferences regarding prenatal alcohol exposure and childhood externalizing problems. Arch Gen Psychiatry 6: 1296–1304. , , , et al.
- 2008. Strengthening the case: prenatal alcohol exposure is associated with increased risk for conduct disorder. Pediatrics 122: e1225–e1230. , , , et al.
- 2006. Translational science in action: hostile attributional style and the development of aggressive behavior problems. Dev Psychopathol 18: 791–814. .
- 1988. Under-reporting of alcohol use in pregnancy. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 12: 506–511. , , .
- 1998. Mental illness in adults with fetal alcohol syndrome or fetal alcohol effects. Am J Psychiatry 155: 552–554. , , .
- 2004. The challenge of fetal alcohol syndrome in the criminal legal system. Addict Biol 9: 161–166. , .
- 2007. Evaluation of psychopathological conditions in children with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Pediatrics 119: 733–741. , , , et al.
- 2007. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: understanding the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure and supporting students. J Sch Health 77: 103–108. .
- 2009. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and alterations in brain and behavior. Alcohol Drug Res 44: 108–114. , , .
- 2008. Prenatal alcohol exposure increases vulnerability to stress and anxiety-like disorders in adulthood. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1144: 154–175. , , , et al.
- 1995. Children and their child care caregivers: Profiles of relationships. Soc Dev 4: 44–61. , .
- 2005. A practical clinical approach to diagnosis of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: clarification of the 1996 Institute of Medicine criteria. Pediatrics 115: 39–47. , , , et al.
- 2008. Suicide attempts among adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: Clinical considerations. Ment Health Aspects Dev Disabil 11: 33–41. , , , et al.
- 1973. Recognition of the fetal alcohol syndrome in early infancy. Lancet 2: 999–1001. , .
- 2007. FASD: what types of intervention and rehabilitation are useful? Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31: 278–285. , .
- 1987. Seriously depressed preschoolers. Am J Psychiatry 144: 348–350. , .
- 2001. Pre-pregnancy drinking: how drink size affects risk assessment. Addiction 96: 1199–1209. , .
- 2000. Effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on social behavior in humans and other species. Neurotoxicol Teratol 22: 143–149. , , .
- 1997. Epidemiology of women and depression. J Affective Disord 74: 5–13. .
- 2001. Mood disorders in children and adolescents: an epidemiologic perspective. Biol Psychiatry 49: 1002–1014. , , .
- 2007. Defining the behavioral phenotype in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31: 192–201. .
- 1998. Internalizing disorders in childhood. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 39: 47–63. , .
- 1996. Personality traits are differentially linked to mental disorders: a multitrait-multidiagnosis study of an adolescent birth cohort. J Abnorm Psychol 1105: 299–312. , , , et al.
- 2007. Parenting skills and family support programs for drug-abusing mothers. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 12: 134–142. , .
- 2004. Classifying children with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure using measures of attention. J Int Neuropsychol Soc 10: 271–277. , , .
- 2006. Predictors and correlates of high levels of depression and anxiety symptoms among children at age 10. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45: 223–230. , , , et al.
- 2009. Infant irritability: the impact of fetal alcohol exposure, maternal depressive symptoms, and low emotional support from the husband. Infant Ment Health J 30: 57–81. , , .
- 1998. A review of neurobehavioral deficits in children with fetal alcohol syndrome or prenatal exposure to alcohol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 279–294. , .
- 2001. Estimating the prevalence of fetal alcohol syndrome: a summary. Alcohol Res Health 25: 159–167. , .
- 2007. Social and behavioral functioning in individuals with prenatal alcohol exposure. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 6: 369–382. , .
- 2006. Socioemotional development in adolescents at risk for depression: the role of maternal depression and attachment style. Dev Psychopathol 18: 489–516. , , , et al.
- 2001. Prenatal alcohol exposure and infant negative affect as precursors of depressive features in children. Infant Ment Health J 22: 291–299. .
- 2000. Prenatal alcohol exposure and depressive features in children. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24: 1084–1092. , .
- 2002a. Prenatal alcohol exposure and attachment behavior in children. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26: 1592–1602. , , .
- 2006. Under recognition of prenatal alcohol exposure in a child inpatient psychiatric setting. Ment Health Aspects Dev Disabil 9: 105–108. , , .
- 2006. The relationship of prenatal alcohol exposure and the postnatal environment to child depressive symptoms. Disabil Rehabil Psychol 31: 50–64. , .
- 2008. Hostile attributions, conduct disorder, and the impact of a social skills intervention on social processing in children with prenatal exposure to alcohol, paper presented at the special meeting of the Fetal Alcohol Study Group, FASTDATA. Washington DC, June 28. , , .
- 2002b. Psychiatric illness in a clinical sample of children with prenatal alcohol exposure. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 28: 743–754. , , , et al.
- 1992. Attachment behavior of infants exposed to alcohol prenatally: mediating effects of infant affect and mother-infant interaction. Dev Psychopathol 4: 243–256. , , .
- 2002. Clinical implications of a link between fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Can J Psychiatry 47: 349–354. , .
- 2007. Neurocognitive and neurobehavioral impairments in individuals with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: recognition and assessment. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 6: 127–142. , .
- 2005. Executive functioning and working memory in fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29: 1359–1367. .
- 2006. Neurobehavioral functioning in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Child Neuropsychol 12: 453–468. , , .
- 2005. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: an overview with emphasis on changes in brain and behavior. Exp Biol Med 230: 357–365. , .
- 2009. Is prenatal alcohol exposure related to inattention and hyperactivity symptoms in children? Disentangling the effects of social adversity. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. DOI: 10.1111/j.1469-7610.2009.02071.x. , , , et al.
- 1999. Behavioral and psychosocial profiles of alcohol exposed children. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 23: 1070–1076. , , .
- 2007. Alcohol consumption in pregnancy as a risk factor for later mental health problems. Evid Based Ment Health 10: 98–100. .
- 2007. Prenatal alcohol exposure and gender differences in childhood mental health problems: a longitudinal population-based study. Pediatrics 119: e426–434. , , , et al.
- 2005. Moral maturity and delinquency following prenatal alcohol exposure. J Stud Alcohol 66: 545–555. , , .
- 2006. Executive functioning predicts social skills following prenatal alcohol exposure. Child Neuropsychol 12: 439–452. , , , et al.
- 1999. Assessing alcohol consumption: beverage-specific versus grouped-beverage questions. J Stud Alcohol 60: 99–102. , , , et al.
- 2000. NIMH diagnostic interview schedule for children Version IV (NIMH DISC-IV): description, differences from previous versions, and reliability of some common diagnoses. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 39: 28–38. , , , et al.
- 2007. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in young adulthood. Disabil Rehabil 150: 175–179. , , .
- 1998. Long-term outcome of children with fetal alcohol syndrome: psychopathology, behavior, and intelligence. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 334–338. , .
- 2003. Behavioural phenotype in foetal alcohol syndrome and foetal alcohol effects. Dev Med Child Neuro 45: 179–182. , , , et al.
- StrattonK,HoweC,BattagliaF, editors. 1996. Fetal alcohol syndrome: diagnosis, epidemiology, prevention, and treatment. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine, National Academy Press.
- 1997. Fetal alcohol syndrome: a guide for families and communities. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes. .
- 1996. Understanding the occurrence of secondary disabilities in clients with fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol effects. Final report. Seattle (WA): University of Washington School of Medicine, Fetal Alcohol and Drug Unit; Report No.: 96-06. Sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. , , , et al.
- 2004. Risk factors for adverse life outcomes in fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol effects. J Dev Behav Pediatr 25: 228–238. , , , et al.
- StreissguthA,KantorJ, editors. 1997. The challenge of fetal alcohol syndrome: overcoming secondary disabilities. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press.
- 2000. Neuropsychiatric implications and long-term consequences of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Semin Clin Neuropsychiatry 5: 177–190. , .
- 1999. Disorganized attachment in early childhood. Meta-analysis of precursors, concomitants, and sequelae. Dev Psychopathol 11: 225–249. , , .
- 2008. A comparison of psychopathology in children with and without prenatal alcohol exposure. Ment Health Aspects Dev Disabil 11: 69–78. , , .
- 2004. Consensus statement on FASD. Washington, DC: National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. , , , et al.
- 1992. Prenatal ethanol exposure alters adrenocortical response to predictable and unpredictable stressors. Alcohol 9: 427–432. .