Expressive spoken language development in deaf children with cochlear implants who are beginning formal education
Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Deafness & Education International
Volume 11, Issue 1, pages 39–55, March 2009
How to Cite
Inscoe, J. R., Odell, A., Archbold, S. and Nikolopoulos, T. (2009), Expressive spoken language development in deaf children with cochlear implants who are beginning formal education. Deafness Educ. Int., 11: 39–55. doi: 10.1002/dei.252
- Issue online: 5 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2009
- Speech intelligibility in children after cochlear implantation. American Journal of Otology 1998; 19(6): 742–746. , , .
- 2006). Cochlear implantation and deaf education: Conflict or collaboration? In: WaltzmanS, RolandT (Eds) Cochlear Implants. New York: Thieme. (
- Approach to communication, speech perception and intelligibility after pediatric cochlear implantation. British Journal of Audiology 2000; 34(4): 257–264. , , , , , .
- The educational settings of profoundly deaf children with cochlear implants compared with age-matched peers with hearing aids: implications for management. International Journal of Audiology 2002; 41(3): 157–161. , , , .
- 1983). South Tyneside Assessment of Syntactic Structures. Ponteland, Northumberland: STASS publications. , (
- 1979). Speech Hearing Tests and the spoken language of hearing impaired children. Oxford: Academic Press. , (
- The unilateral hearing impaired child: a final comment. Ear & Hearing 1986; 61(19): 339–354. , , .
- A prospective study of the relationship between specific language impairment, phonological disorders and reading retardation. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 1990; 31: 1027–1050. , .
- Relationships among speech perception, production, language, hearing loss and age in children with impaired hearing. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research 2001; 44(2): 264–285. , , , , , , , , .
- Some measures of verbal and spatial working memory in eight- and nine-year-old hearing impaired children with cochlear implants. Ear & Hearing 2001; 22: 395–411. , , .
- 1976). The grammatical analysis of language disability: a procedure for assessment and remediation. , , (Studies in
- 1994). The Central Problem of Functional Categories in the English Syntax of Oral Deaf Children. Constraints in language acquisition: studies of atypical children. Tager-FlusbergH (Ed.) Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. , , (
- Communication development in children who receive the cochlear implant younger than 12 months: risks versus benefits. Ear and Hearing 2007; 28: 11S–18S. , , , , .
- 1997). Reynell Developmental Language Scales III. London: nfer Nelson Publishing. , , , , , (
- 1994). Variability in early communicative development. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, Serial No. 242, Vol. 59, No. 5. , , , , , (
- Speech, language and reading skills after early cochlear implantation. Archives of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery 2004; 130: 634–638. .
- 2006). Spoken language in children with cochlear implants. In: SpencerP, MarscharkM (Eds) Advances in the Spoken Language Development of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 244–270. (
- Language skills of children with early cochlear implantation. Ear and Hearing 2003; 24: 46S–58S. , , .
- Acoustic-phonetic correlates of talker intelligibility for adults and children. Journal of the Acoustic Society of America 2004; 116: 3108–3118. , .
- 2008). An evaluation of Auditory Verbal Therapy Using the Rate of Early Language Development as an Outcome Measure. Deafness Education International 2008; 10(3): 143–167. DOI: 10.1002/dei.242. , , , , (
- 2000). Challenges in the clinical investigation of cochlear implant outcomes. In: NiparkoJ, Iler-KirkK, MellonN, RobbinsA, TucciD, WilsonB (Eds) Cochlear Implants: Principles and Practices. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, pp. 225–265. (
- Language development in young children with cochlear implants. Advances in Otolaryngology 1995; 50: 160–166. , , , .
- Children with implants can speak, but can they communicate? Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 1997; 117: 155–160. , , .
- Enhancement of expressive language in prelingually deaf children with cochlear implants. Acta Otolaryngologica. 1997; 117(2): 154–157. , , .
- 1993). Oral Language Acquisition in the Prelinguistically Deaf in BishopD and MogfordK (Eds) Language Development in Exceptional Circumstances. Hove, UK: Psychology Press. (
- Changing expectations for children with cochlear implants. Eighth Symposium on Cochlear Implants in Children. St. Louis. The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology 2002; 111(5): 138–143. .
- The effects of degree and type of hearing loss on children's performance in class. Deafness Education International 2004; 6(3): 154–166. DOI: 10.1002/dei.177 .
- Will they catch up? The role of age at cochlear implantation in the spoken language development of children with severe to profound hearing loss. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research 2007; 50(4): 1048–1062. , .
- Age at implantation: its importance in pediatric cochlear implantation. Laryngoscope 1999; 109(4): 595–599. , , .
- Development of spoken language grammar following cochlear implantation in prelingually deaf children. Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2004; 130(5): 629–633. , , , .
- Young deaf children with hearing aids or cochlear implants: Early assessment package for monitoring progress. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 2005; 69(2): 175–186. , , .
- Does cause of deafness influence outcome after cochlear implantation in children? Pediatrics 2006; 118(4): 1350–1356. , , .
- Speech, Language and Reading Skills after Early Cochlear Implantation. Journal of American Medical Association 2004; 291: 2378–2380. .
- Effectiveness of language intervention with the language/learning disabled. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders 1987; 52(4): 348–357. , , .
- Determinants of speech perception in children after cochlear implantation. Lancet 2000; 356(9228): 466–468. , , .
- 2003). Some new findings on learning, memory and cognitive processes in deaf children following cochlear implantation. ZengF, PopperA & FayR (Eds), Handbook of auditory research: auditory pro theses, SHAR Volume X. New York: Springer. , (
- The development of speech perception in children using cochlear implants: effects of etiologic factors and delayed milestones. American Journal of Otology 2000; 21(1): 57–61. , , , , .
- 2008). BCS System for Cochlear Implant Centres release 6.02.24. Available: www.bawtry.net. [Accessed 10 March 2008]. , , (
- 1995). Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals 3. Oxford: The Psychological Corporation. , , (
- 2003). Cochlear implants in MarscharkM, SpencerP (Eds) Deaf Studies, Language and Education. New York: Oxford University Press. , (
- Hearing impaired children in the United Kingdom: I. Auditory performance, communication skills, educational achievements, quality of life and cochlear implantation. Ear and Hearing 2006; 27: 161–186. , , , .
- Grammatical morphologic development in pediatric cochlear implant users may be affected by the perceptual prominence of the relevant markers. Annals of Otology Rhinology Laryngology Supplement 2002; 189: 109–112. , , , , .
- Acoustic and Electrical Pattern Analysis of Consonant Perceptual Cues Used by Cochlear Implant Users. Audiol Neurotol 2003; 8: 269–285. , , .
- A comparison of language achievement in children with cochlear implants and children using hearing aids. Journal of Speech Language & Hearing Research 1999; 42: 497–511. , , , , .
- Oral language acquisition in children assessed with the Reynell Developmental Language Scales. International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology 1999; 47(2): 153–155. , , , .
- Parents' views On changing communication after cochlear implant. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education 2008; 13(1): 104–116. , , , .