What should be the antihypertensive drug of choice in diabetic patients and should we avoid drugs that increase glucose levels? Pro and Cons
Article first published online: 28 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews
Special Issue: Proceedings of the 1st Asia Pacific Congress on Controversies to Consensus in Diabetes, Obesity and Hypertension (CODHy), June 2-5, 2011, Shanghai, China. The 1st Asia Pacific Congress on Controversies to Consensus in Diabetes, Obesity and Hypertension (CODHy) and Wiley have published this supplement without financial support.
Volume 28, Issue Supplement s2, pages 60–66, December 2012
How to Cite
Standl, E., Erbach, M. and Schnell, O. (2012), What should be the antihypertensive drug of choice in diabetic patients and should we avoid drugs that increase glucose levels? Pro and Cons. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev., 28: 60–66. doi: 10.1002/dmrr.2355
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 28 DEC 2012
- Received: 25 January 2012 Revised: 19 March 2012 Accepted: 21 May 2012
- 2Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: executive summary. The task Force on diabetes and cardiovascular diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Eur Heart J 2007; 28: 88–136., , , et al.
- 5International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes atlas. http://www idf org/diabetesatlas 2009 Accessed 16 August 2011.
- 7Effects of hydrochlorothiazide on the serum insulin concentrations of dogs after intravenous glucose tolerance test. Doctor’s thesis (inaugural dissertation) 1967..
- 12The ALLHAT Officers and Coordinators for the ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Major outcomes in high-risk hypertensive patients randomized to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or calcium channel blocker vs diuretic. The Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT). JAMA 2002; 288: 97.
- 19The Navigator Study Group. Effect of valsartan on the incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 2010; Published online on Accessed 14 March Doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1001121.
- 21Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with life style intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 93–403.
- 23DREAM Investigators. Effect of rosiglitazone on the frequency of diabetes in patients with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose: a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2006; Doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69420-8.
- 26The Diabetes Control, Complication Trial Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of longterm complications of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 997–896.
- 35UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group. Tight blood pressure control and risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes: UKPDS 38. Brit Med J 1998; 317: 703–13.
- 36UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group. Efficacy of atenolol and captopril in reducing risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes: UKPDS 39. Brit Med J 1998; 317–20.
- 44First-line drugs for hypertension. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009 Jul 8: CD001841., .
- 45Calcium channel blockers versus other classes of drugs for hypertension. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; 4: CD–003658., , , et al.