Exposure to environmental enrichment elicits differential hippocampal cell proliferation: Role of individual responsiveness to anxiety
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 67, Issue 4, pages 395–405, March 2007
How to Cite
Leal-Galicia, P., Saldívar-González, A., Morimoto, S. and Arias, C. (2007), Exposure to environmental enrichment elicits differential hippocampal cell proliferation: Role of individual responsiveness to anxiety. Devel Neurobio, 67: 395–405. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20322
- Issue online: 15 FEB 2007
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2005
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (PAPIIT). Grant Number: IN205403
- 2003. Effect of age and testosterone on autumnal neurogenesis in male European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris). Behav Brain Res 143: 15–30. , , , .
- 1965. Autoradiographic and histological evidence of postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis in rats. J Comp Neurol 124: 319–335. , .
- 2004. Environmental enrichment in mice decreases anxiety,attenuates stress responses and enhances natural killer cell activity. Eur J Neurosci 20: 1341–1347. , , , , , , .
- 2005. New neurons in the dentate gyrus are involved in the expression of enhanced long-term memory following environmental enrichment. Eur J Neurosci 21: 513–521. , , .
- 2005. Doublecortin expression levels in adult brain reflect neurogenesis. Eur J Neurosci 21: 1–14. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The role of the dorsal hippocampal serotonergic and cholinergic systems in the modulation of anxiety. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 66: 65–72. , , .
- 1990. Characterization of the phenomenon of “one-trial tolerance” to the anxiolytic effect of chlordiazepoxide in the elevated plus-maze. Psychopharmacology 102: 98–101. , , .
- 2002. Early-life handling stimulation and environmental enrichment: Are some of their effects mediated by similar neural mechanisms? Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73: 233–245. , , , , , , .
- 1977. The influence of females upon aggression in domesticated male rats (Rattus norvegicus). Anim Behav 25: 654–659. , .
- 2002. The effects of social environment on adult neurogenesis in the female prairie vole. J Neurobiol 51: 115–128. , , , .
- 2002. Neurogenesis in the adult brain. J Neurosci 22: 612–613. .
- 2002. Neurogenesis in adult mammals: Some progress and problems. J Neurosci 22: 619–623. , .
- 1991. Models of anxiety. In: WillnerP,editor. Behavioral Models in Psychopharmacology: Theoretical, Industrial, and Clinical Perspectives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2004. Increased hippocampal neurogenesis in Alzheimer's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 343–347. , , , , , , .
- 1997. More hippocampal neurons in adult mice living in an enriched environment. Nature 386: 493–495. , , .
- 2004. Dominance hierarchy influences adult neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus. J Neurosci 24: 6755–6759. , .
- 2002. Psychological stress and environmental adaptation in enriched vs. impoverished housed rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73: 193–207. , , .
- 2005. Environmental enrichment reduces Aβ levels and amyloid deposition in transgenic mice. Cell 120: 701–713. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1990. Ethologically-based animal models of anxiety disorders. Pharmacol Ther 46: 321–340. .
- 2002. Coordinated interaction of neurogenesis and angiogenesis in the adult songbird brain. Neuron 34: 945–960. , , , .
- 1990. Environmental influence on behavior and nerve growth factor in the brain. Brain Res 528: 62–72. , , , .
- 2004. Effect of environmental enrichment on stress related systems in rats. J Neuroendocrinol 16: 423–431. , , , .
- 1999. Enriched environment increases neurogenesis in the adult rat dentate gyrus and improves spatial memory. J Neurobiol 39: 569–578. , , , , .
- 2004. Efficacy of doublecortin as a marker to analyze the absolute number and dendritic growth of newly generated neurons in the adult dentate gyrus. Eur J Neurosci 19: 234–246. , .
- 1986. Social interactions among rats housed in grouped and enriched conditions. Dev Psychobiol 19: 303–313. , .
- 1966. Environmental complexity, cerebral change, and behavior. Am Psychol 21: 321–332. .
- 2004. Metabolic and endocrine consequences of social stress in a visible burrow system. Physiol Behav 80: 683–693. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Animal models for the study of anti-anxiety agents: A review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 9: 203–222. .
- 2002. Dissociable effects of isolation rearing and environmental enrichment on exploration, spatial learning and HPA activity in adult rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73: 209–224. , , , .
- 1999. Running increases cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the adult mouse dentate gyrus. Nat Neurosci 2: 226–270. , , .
- 2002. Neural consequences of environmental enrichment. Nature 415: 1030–1034. , , , , , .