Survival, synaptogenesis, and regeneration of adult mouse spiral ganglion neurons in vitro
Article first published online: 22 DEC 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 108–122, January 2007
How to Cite
Wei, D., Jin, Z., Järlebark, L., Scarfone, E. and Ulfendahl, M. (2007), Survival, synaptogenesis, and regeneration of adult mouse spiral ganglion neurons in vitro. Devel Neurobio, 67: 108–122. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20336
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 22 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAR 2006
- European Commission Quality of Life Program (BioEar). Grant Number: QLG3-CT-2000-01343
- Swedish Research Council. Grant Number: 09888
- Foundation Tysta Skolan
- Augusta Hedlund Foundation
- European Commission FP6 Integrated Project EUROHEAR. Grant Number: LSHG-CT-20054-512063
- 1999. Rescue and regrowth of sensory nerves following deafferentation by neurotrophic factors. Ann N Y Acad Sci 884: 305–311. , , , , , .
- 2003. Intracellular fibroblast growth factor produces effects different from those of extracellular application on development of avian cochleovestibular ganglion cells in vitro. J Neurosci Res 71: 629–647. , , .
- 2001. Regulation of ureteric bud outgrowth by Pax2-dependent activation of the glial derived neurotrophic factor gene. Development 128: 4747–4756. , , , .
- 1987. A model of electrical excitation of the mammalian auditory-nerve neuron. Hear Res 31: 287–311. , .
- 1996. Skeletal overgrowth and deafness in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Nat Genet 12: 390–397. , , , , .
- 2002. Absence of fibroblast growth factor 2 does not prevent tumor formation originating from the RPE. Oncogene 21: 1841–1847. , , , , .
- 2005. Atoh1 null mice show directed afferent fiber growth to undifferentiated ear sensory epithelia followed by incomplete fiber retention. Dev Dyn 233: 570–583. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hair cell development in higher vertebrates. Curr Top Dev Biol 57: 293–319. .
- 1996. Cytoskeletal changes during neurogenesis in cultures of avain neural crest cells. J Neurocytol 25: 289–301. , , .
- 1997. Trophic support of cultured spiral ganglion neurons by depolarization exceeds and is additive with that by neurotrophins or cAMP and requires elevation of [Ca2+]i within a set range. J Neurosci 17: 1959–1970. , , .
- 1998. Deafness due to Pro250Arg mutation of FGFR3. Lancet 351: 877–878. , , , , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factors (FGF-1, FGF-2) promote migration and neurite growth of mouse cochlear ganglion cells in vitro: immunohistochemistry and antibody perturbation. J Neurosci Res 62: 40–55. , .
- 1998. Correlation of acoustic threshold measures and spiral ganglion cell survival in severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss: implications for cochlear implantation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 107: 906–911. , .
- 2005. Auditory hair cell replacement and hearing improvement by Atoh1 gene therapy in deaf mammals. Nat Med 11: 271–276. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Trafficking and signaling pathways of nuclear localizing protein ligands and their receptors. Bioessays 26: 993–1004. , , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFRs) localize in different cellular compartments. A splice variant of FGFR-3 localizes to the nucleus. J Biol Chem 270: 30643–30650. , , , .
- 2003. Class III beta-tubulin isotype: a key cytoskeletal protein at the crossroads of developmental neurobiology and tumor neuropathology. J Child Neurol 18: 851–866; discussion 867. , , , .
- 2000. Requirement for C-terminal end of fibroblast growth factor receptor 4 in translocation of acidic fibroblast growth factor to cytosol and nucleus. J Cell Sci 113 (Pt 10): 1827–1838. , , , , , .
- 1999. Chronic electrical stimulation by a cochlear implant promotes survival of spiral ganglion neurons after neonatal deafness. J Comp Neurol 412: 543–562. , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophins affect survival and neuritogenesis by adult injured auditory neurons in vitro. Neuroreport 5: 865–868. , , , , , .
- 2003. Pluripotent stem cells from the adult mouse inner ear. Nat Med 9: 1293–1299. , , .
- 1996. Effects of neurotrophins on early auditory neurones in cell culture. Neuroreport 7: 913–917. , , , , .
- 2005. Brainy but not too brainy: starting and stopping neuroblast divisions in Drosophila. Trends Neurosci 28: 30–36. , .
- 1997. Synergistic effects of BDNF and NT-3 on postnatal spiral ganglion neurons. J Comp Neurol 386: 529–39. , , , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates pillar cell development in the organ of corti. J Neurosci 22: 9368–9377. , , .
- 1990. Synaptic morphology of inner and outer hair cells of the human organ of Corti. J Electron Microsc Tech 15: 187–196. .
- 2002. Pre-existing pathways promote precise projection patterns. Nat Neurosci 5: 861–867. , , .
- 2003. Proangiogenic role of tumor-activated hepatic stellate cells in experimental melanoma metastasis. Hepatology 37: 674–685. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Transport of exogenous growth factors and cytokines to the cytosol and to the nucleus. Physiol Rev 83: 163–182. , , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. A quantitative method for evaluation of FGF family and FGF receptor family gene expression by RT-PCR. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 1: 211–216. , , .
- 2002. Integrative nuclear FGFR1 signaling (INFS) pathway mediates activation of the tyrosine hydroxylase gene by angiotensin II, depolarization and protein kinase C. J Neurochem 81: 506–524. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Evidence for a ligand-specific signaling through GFRalpha-1, but not GFRalpha-2, in the absence of Ret. J Neurosci Res 66: 390–395. , , .
- 2001. The expression of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in the embryonic and neonatal mouse inner ear. Hear Res 155: 54–62. .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor receptor expression in outer hair cells of rat cochlea. Neuroreport 9: 4093–4095. , , .
- 1995. The site of action of neuronal acidic fibroblast growth factor is the organ of Corti of the rat cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 9269–9273. , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of neurotrophins and Trk receptors in the developing, adult, and regenerating avian cochlea. J Neurobiol 33: 1019–1033. , , , , , .
- 2000. Synapses on human spiral ganglion cells: a transmission electron microscopy and immunohistochemical study. Hear Res 141: 1–11. , , , .
- 2004. Ligand dependent and independent internalization and nuclear translocation of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) receptor 1. DNA Cell Biol 23: 538–548. , , .
- 2002. Auditory system development: primary auditory neurons and their targets. Annu Rev Neurosci 25: 51–101. , .
- 1998. Hair cell regeneration and recovery of function in the avian auditory system. Scand Audiol Suppl 48: 7–14. , , , , .
- 1988. The spiral ganglion and the innervation of the human organ of Corti. Acta Otolaryngol 105: 403–410. , .
- 2000. Expression of the GDNF family members and their receptors in the mature rat cochlea. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 76: 25–35. , , , , .
- 1999. Stem cells in the adult mammalian central nervous system. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 135–141. , .
- 2000. Prevalence and ultrastructural morphology of axosomatic synapses on spiral ganglion cells in humans of different ages. Hear Res 150: 119–131. , , .
- 2002. Functional neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus. Nature 415: 1030–1034. , , , , , .
- 2000. Pattern of degeneration of the spiral ganglion cell and its processes in the C57BL/6J mouse. Hear Res 141: 12–18. , , , .
- 2004. Cochlear development: hair cells don their wigs and get wired. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 12: 449–454. .
- 2006. Survival and morphology of auditory neurons in dissociated cultures of newborn mouse spiral ganglion. Neuroscience 138: 653–62. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Impaired cell cycle control of neuronal precursor cells in the neocortical primordium of presenilin-1-deficient mice. J Neurosci Res 70: 501–513. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Altered intracellular localization of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 in human breast cancer. J Pathol 194: 27–34. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Basic fibroblast growth factor protects auditory neurons and hair cells from glutamate neurotoxicity and noise exposure. Acta Otolaryngol 124: 124–9. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential damage to auditory neurons and hair cells by ototoxins and neuroprotection by specific neurotrophins in rat cochlear organotypic cultures. Eur J Neurosci 8: 1897–1905. , .