Phosphoinositide 3-kinase acts through RAC and Cdc42 during agrin-induced acetylcholine receptor clustering
Article first published online: 6 MAR 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 67, Issue 8, pages 1047–1058, July 2007
How to Cite
Nizhynska, V., Neumueller, R. and Herbst, R. (2007), Phosphoinositide 3-kinase acts through RAC and Cdc42 during agrin-induced acetylcholine receptor clustering. Devel Neurobio, 67: 1047–1058. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20371
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 6 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 16 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 2006
- Austrian Science Fund. Grant Number: R10-B02
- Austrian National Bank. Grant Number: 10017
- 1986. Actin at receptor-rich domains of isolated acetylcholine receptor clusters. J Cell Biol 102: 1447–1458. .
- 1988. Molecular events in synaptogenesis: Nerve-muscle adhesion and postsynaptic differentiation. Am J Physiol 254: C345–364. , .
- 2001. Agrin-induced phosphorylation of the acetylcholine receptor regulates cytoskeletal anchoring and clustering. J Cell Biol 153: 1–12. , .
- 2002. Building the vertebrate neuromuscular synapse. J Neurobiol 53: 501–511. .
- 2006. Lipid rafts are involved in C95 (4,8) agrin fragment-induced acetylcholine receptor clustering. Neuroscience 138: 123–132. , .
- 1991. Oncogenes and signal transduction. Cell 64: 281–302. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase signalling pathways. J Cell Sci 114: 1439–1445. .
- 2000. The actin-driven movement and formation of acetylcholine receptor clusters. J Cell Biol 150: 1321–1334. , , , .
- 2000. Control of intramolecular interactions between the pleckstrin homology and Dbl homology domains of Vav and Sos1 regulates Rac binding. J Biol Chem 275: 15074–15081. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The receptor tyrosine kinase MuSK is required for neuromuscular junction formation in vivo. Cell 85: 501–512. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. c-Src is required for glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) family ligand-mediated neuronal survival via a phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase (PI-3K)-dependent pathway. J Neurosci 21: 1464–1472. , , , , , .
- 2003. Postsynaptic requirement for Abl kinases in assembly of the neuromuscular junction. Nat Neurosci 6: 717–723. , , .
- 1999. Quantitative analysis of phospholipids in functionally important membrane domains from RBL-2H3 mast cells using tandem high-resolution mass spectrometry. Biochemistry 38: 8056–8063. , , , , , .
- 1998. Phosphoinositide kinases. Annu Rev Biochem 67: 481–507. , , .
- 1997. Association of muscle-specific kinase MuSK with the acetylcholine receptor in mammalian muscle. EMBO J 16: 4951–4960. , , , .
- 1996. Defective neuromuscular synaptogenesis in agrin-deficient mutant mice. Cell 85: 525–535. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Agrin acts via a MuSK receptor complex. Cell 85: 513–523. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Rho GTPases and the actin cytoskeleton. Science 279: 509–514. .
- 1998. Role of substrates and products of PI 3-kinase in regulating activation of Rac-related guanosine triphosphatases by Vav. Science 279: 558–560. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Restoration of synapse formation in Musk mutant mice expressing a Musk/Trk chimeric receptor. Development 129: 5449–5460. , , .
- 2000. The juxtamembrane region of MuSK has a critical role in agrin-mediated signaling. EMBO J 19: 67–77. , .
- 1996. A Grb2-associated docking protein in EGF- and insulin-receptor signalling. Nature 379: 560–564. , , , , .
- 1991. Direct derivation of conditionally immortal cell lines from an H-2Kb-tsA58 transgenic mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 5096–5100. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Muscle-specific trk-related receptor with a kringle domain defines a distinct class of receptor tyrosine kinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 2895–2899. , , .
- 2003. Implication of geranylgeranyltransferase I in synapse formation. Neuron 40: 703–717. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Regulation of AChR clustering by dishevelled interacting with MuSK and PAK1. Neuron 35: 489–505. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. The agrin hypothesis. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 55: 407–418. .
- 1995. Immobilization of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in mouse C2 myotubes by agrin-induced protein tyrosine phosphorylation. J Cell Biol 131: 441–451. , , .
- 1999. Phospholipase C-γ and phosphoinositide 3-kinase mediate cytoplasmic signaling in nerve growth cone guidance. Neuron 23: 139–148. , , , , , .
- 1998. Lipid products of phosphoinositide 3-kinase interact with Rac1 GTPase and stimulate GDP dissociation. J Biol Chem 273: 30279–30286. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. A single pulse of agrin triggers a pathway that acts to cluster acetylcholine receptors. Mol Cell Biol 24: 7841–7854. , , , , , .
- 2001. Src-class kinases act within the agrin/MuSK pathway to regulate acetylcholine receptor phosphorylation, cytoskeletal anchoring, and clustering. J Neurosci 21: 3806–3818. , , , , .
- 1998. Coupling of Ras and Rac guanosine triphosphatases through the Ras exchanger Sos. Science 279: 560–563. , , .
- 1992. Agrin released by motor neurons induces the aggregation of acetylcholine receptors at neuromuscular junctions. Neuron 8: 865–868. , , .
- 2002. Functions of PI 3-kinase in development of the nervous system. Int J Dev Neurosci 20: 187–197. , .
- 1994. Phosphatidylinositol-3-OH kinase as a direct target of Ras. Nature 370: 527–532. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Association of the Shc and Grb2/Sem5 SH2-containing proteins is implicated in activation of the Ras pathway by tyrosine kinases. Nature 360: 689–692. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Src-family kinases stabilize the neuromuscular synapse in vivo via protein interactions, phosphorylation, and cytoskeletal linkage of acetylcholine receptors. J Neurosci 25: 10479–10493. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Induction, assembly, maturation and maintenance of a postsynaptic apparatus. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 791–805. , .
- 2002. Guanine nucleotide exchange factors for Rho GTPases: Turning on the switch. Genes Dev 16: 1587–1609. , .
- 1993. The function of GRB2 in linking the insulin receptor to Ras signaling pathways. Science 260: 1953–1955. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Src, Fyn, and Yes are not required for neuromuscular synapse formation but are necessary for stabilization of agrin-induced clusters of acetylcholine receptors. J Neurosci 21: 3151–3160. , , , , .
- 1995. Receptor tyrosine kinase specific for the skeletal muscle lineage: Expression in embryonic muscle, at the neuromuscular junction, and after injury. Neuron 15: 573–584. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Signaling by distinct classes of phosphoinositide 3-kinases. Exp Cell Res 253: 239–254. , .
- 1994. A specific inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, 2-(4-morpholinyl)-8-phenyl-4H-1-benzopyran-4-one (LY294002). J Biol Chem 269: 5241–5248. , , , .
- 2000. The in vitro and in vivo phosphotyrosine map of activated MuSK. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 4585–4590. , , , , , .
- 2003. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase-dependent activation of Rac. FEBS Lett 546: 93–97. , , , .
- 2003. Cooperative regulation by Rac and Rho of agrin-induced acetylcholine receptor clustering in muscle cells. J Biol Chem 278: 6450–6455. , , , , , .
- 2000. Agrin-induced acetylcholine receptor clustering is mediated by the small guanosine triphosphatases Rac and Cdc42. J Cell Biol 150: 205–212. , , , .
- 1998. The IRS-signaling system: A network of docking proteins that mediate insulin and cytokine action. Recent Prog Horm Res 53: 119–138. .
- 2002. Lipid rafts and little caves. Compartmentalized signalling in membrane microdomains. Eur J Biochem 269: 737–752. , .
- 1999. Distinct domains of MuSK mediate its abilities to induce and to associate with postsynaptic specializations. J Cell Biol 146: 1133–1146. , , , .
- 2006. Lipid rafts serve as a signaling platform for nicotinic acetylcholine receptor clustering. J Neurosci 26: 4841–4851. , , .