BDNF-mediated modulation of GABA and glycine release in dorsal horn lamina II from postnatal rats
Article first published online: 28 FEB 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 67, Issue 7, pages 960–975, June 2007
How to Cite
Bardoni, R., Ghirri, A., Salio, C., Prandini, M. and Merighi, A. (2007), BDNF-mediated modulation of GABA and glycine release in dorsal horn lamina II from postnatal rats. Devel Neurobio, 67: 960–975. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20401
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 28 FEB 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 6 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2006
- Italian MIUR
- Compagnia di San Paolo, Turin, Italy
- Fondazione CRT, Turin, Italy
- 2005. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor enhances GABA release probability and nonuniform distribution of N- and P/Q-type channels on release sites of hippocampal inhibitory synapses. J Neurosci 25: 3358–3368. , , , .
- 2004. Functional and histological evidence for pre-synaptic TrkB autoreceptor modulation of glutamate neurotransmission in dorsal horn spinal cord. Society For Neuroscience 34th Annual meeting Abstracts: 852.17 , , , .
- 2005. Neurotrophin-mediated rapid signaling in the central nervous system: Mechanisms and functions. Physiology 20: 70–78. , .
- 1994. Absence of synaptotagmin disrupts excitation-secretion coupling during synaptic transmission. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 10727–10731. , , , , .
- 2001. BDNF reduces miniature inhibitory postsynaptic currents by rapid downregulation of GABAA receptor surface expression. Eur J Neurosci 13: 1320–1328. , , , , .
- 1991. GABAergic vesicle-containing dendrites and spines: A critical element in processing sensory input in the monkey dorsal horn. Neurosci Lett 121: 40–42. , .
- 2000. Lumbar transplant of neurons genetically modified to secrete brain-derived neurotrophic factor attenuates allodynia and hyperalgesia after sciatic nerve constriction. Pain 86: 195–210. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor attenuates mouse cerebellar granule cell GABA(A) receptor-mediated responses via postsynaptic mechanisms. J Physiol 548: 711–721. , .
- 2005. BDNF from microglia causes the shift in neuronal anion gradient underlying neuropathic pain. Nature 438: 1017–1021. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Presynaptic α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA) receptors modulate release of inhibitory amino acids in rat spinal cord dorsal horn. Neuroscience 139: 539–553. , , , .
- 1998. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) modulates inhibitory,but not excitatory, transmission in the CA1 region of the hippocampus. J Neurophysiol 80: 3383–3386. , , .
- 2003. BDNF sensitizes the response of lamina II neurons to high threshold primary afferent inputs. Eur J Neurosci 18: 2467–2476. , , .
- 1994. Synaptotagmin I: A major Ca2+ sensor for transmitter release at a central synapse. Cell 79: 717–727. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Postsynaptic action of BDNF on GABAergic synaptic transmission in the superficial layers of the mouse superior colliculus. J Neurophysiol 88: 595–603. , , , .
- 2005. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates GABAergic synaptic transmission by enhancing presynaptic glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 levels,promoting asynchronous release and reducing the number of activated postsynaptic receptors. Neuroscience 135: 749–763. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms governing dendritic γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) release in the rat olfactory bulb. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 337–342. .
- 2001. Developmental changes in P2X purinoceptors on glycinergic presynaptic nerve terminals projecting to rat substantia gelatinosa neurones. J Physiol 536: 505–519. , , , , .
- 1999. Metabotropic glutamate receptors in superficial laminae of the rat dorsal horn. J Comp Neurol 410: 627–642. , , .
- 2004. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates fast synaptic inhibition by regulating GABA(A) receptor phosphorylation,activity, and cell-surface stability. J Neurosci 24: 522–530. , , , , .
- 2001. Region-specific developmental specialization of GABA-glycine cosynapses in laminas I-II of the rat spinal dorsal horn. J Neurosci 21: 7871–7880. , , , , .
- 2001. Direct presynaptic regulation of GABA/glycine release by kainate receptors in the dorsal horn: An ionotropic mechanism. Neuron 32: 477–488. , , , , .
- 2001. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is released in the dorsal horn by distinctive patterns of afferent fiber stimulation. J Neurosci 21: 4469–4477. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates hippocampal synaptic transmission by increasing N-methyl-D- aspartic acid receptor activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 10235–10239. , , , .
- 1995. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor rapidly enhances synaptic transmission in hippocampal neurons via postsynaptic tyrosine kinase receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 8074–8077. , , , .
- 1996. GABA and its receptors in the spinal cord. Trends Pharmacol Sci 17: 457–62. , .
- 2005. Actions of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on spinal nociceptive transmission during inflammation in the rat. J Physiol 569: 685–695. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor differentially regulates excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmission in hippocampal cultures. J Neurosci 20: 3221–3232. , , .
- 2004. Neurotrophins in spinal cord nociceptive pathways. Prog Brain Res 146: 291–321. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Postembedding immunogold staining. In: CuelloAC,editor. Immunocytotchemistrty II. New York: Wiley, pp 229–264 , .
- 1989. Ultrastructural localization of neuropeptides and GABA in rat dorsal horn: A comparison of different immunogold labeling techniques. J Histochem Cytochem 37: 529–540. , , , .
- 2002. BDNF modulates sensory neuron synaptic activity by a facilitation of GABA transmission in the dorsal horn. Mol Cell Neurosci 21: 51–62. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Neurotrophins: Mediators and modulators of pain. Annu Rev Neurosci 29: 507–538. , .
- 2004. Substantia gelatinosa of spinal cord. In: PaxinosG,editor. The Rat Nervous System. New York: Academic Press. .
- 1999. Spatial distribution of Na+ and K+ channels in spinal dorsal horn neurones: Role of the soma, axon and dendrites in spike generation. Prog Neurobiol 593: 217–241. .
- 2005. Ultrastructural evidence for a pre- and postsynaptic localization of full-length trkB receptors in substantia gelatinosa (lamina II) of rat and mouse spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci 22: 1951–1966. , , , .
- 2007. Costorage of BDNF and neuropeptides within individual dense-core vesicles in central and peripheral neurons. Develop Neurobiol 67: 326–338. , , , .
- 2000. Postsynaptic target specificity of neurotrophin-induced presynaptic potentiation. Neuron 25: 151–163. , , .
- 1998. Dendrodendritic inhibition in the olfactory bulb is driven by NMDA receptors. J Neurosci 18: 6790–6802. , , , , .
- 1994. Antinociceptive effect of brain derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3. Brain Res 633: 326–330. , , , .
- 2004. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor induces NMDA receptor subunit one phosphorylation via ERK and PKC in the rat spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci 20: 1769–1778. , , , , .
- 1992. Ultrastructural and immunocytochemical study of lamina II islet cells in rat spinal dorsal horn. J Comp Neurol 323: 359–369. , .
- 1997. Inhibition of GABAA synaptic responses by brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in rat hippocampus. J Neurosci 17: 2959–2966. , , .
- 1999. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is an endogenous modulator of nociceptive responses in the spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 7714–7718. , , , , .
- 1990. An electron microscope study of glycine-like immunoreactivity in laminae I-III of the spinal dorsal horn of the rat. Neuroscience 39: 398–394. .
- 1996. GABA and glycine in synaptic glomeruli of the rat spinal dorsal horn. Eur J Neurosci 8: 2492–2498. .
- 1990. Light microscope study of the coexistence of GABA-like and glycine-like immunoreactivities in the spinal cord of the rat. J Comp Neurol 296: 496–505. , .
- 2003. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulation of GABAergic synapses by postsynaptic regulation of chloride transport. J Neurosci 23: 8722–8732. , .
- 2000. The role of brain-derived neurothrophic factor receptors in the mature hippocampus: Modulation of long-term potentiation through a presynaptic mechanism involving TrkB. J Neurosci 20: 6888–6897. , , , , , , , et al.
- London Pain Consortium. 2006. Nociceptor-derived brain-derived neurotrophic factor regulates acute and inflammatory but not neuropathic pain. Mol Cell Neurosci 31: 539–548. , , , , , , , et al.