Conflict statement: The author is a scientific founder of Ceregene, Inc., and is a member of the scientific advisory boards of Acorda Therapeutics, Glaxo-Smith-Kline, Hospira Inc., and several non-profit foundations.
Nerve growth factor gene delivery: Animal models to clinical trials
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Translating Development - From Bench to Bedside with Molecular Neurobiology
Volume 67, Issue 9, pages 1204–1215, August 2007
How to Cite
Tuszynski, M. H. (2007), Nerve growth factor gene delivery: Animal models to clinical trials. Devel Neurobio, 67: 1204–1215. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20510
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 17 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUL 2006
- NIH. Grant Number: AG10435
- Veterans Administration
- Shiley Family Foundation
- Adelson Program in Neural Repair and Rehabilitation
- 2004. Induction of long-term potentiation and depression is reflected by corresponding changes in secretion of endogenous brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 15788–15792. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Longitudinal PET evaluation of cerebral metabolic decline in Dementia: A potential outcome measure in Alzheimer's disease treatment studies. Am J Psychiatry 159: 738–745. , , , , .
- 2006. Long-term clinical improvement in MPTP-lesioned primates after gene therapy with AAV-hAADC. Mol Ther 14: 564–570. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulated lentiviral NGF genetransfer controls rescue of medial septal cholinergic neurons. Mol Ther 11: 916–925. , , , , , .
- 1997. Trk neurotrophin receptors in cholinergic neurons of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 8: 1–8. , , , , , .
- 2004. Retrograde transport of neurotrophins: Fact and function. J Neurobiol 58: 217–229. , .
- 1983. Pathological changes in the nucleus basalis of Meynert in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. J Neurosci 54: 277–289. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Somatic gene transfer of NGF to the aged brain: Behavioral and morphological amelioration. J Neurosci 15: 2819–2825. , .
- 2005. AAV hybrid serotypes: Improved vectors for gene delivery. Curr Gene Ther 5: 299–310. , , .
- 2001. Down-regulation of trkA mRNA within nucleus basalis neurons in individuals with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. J Comp Neurol 437: 296–307. , , , , .
- 2005. The basal forebrain cholinergic system is essential for cortical plasticity and functional recovery following brain injury. Neuron 46: 173–179. , , .
- 2003. Lesions of the basal forebrain cholinergic system impair task acquisition and abolish cortical plasticity associated with motor skill learning. Neuron 38: 819–829. , , , , .
- 2001. Non-tropic actions of neurotrophins: Subcortical NGF gene delivery reverses age-related degeneration of primate cortical cholinergic innervation. Proc Natl Acad Sci 98: 1941–1946. , , , .
- 2001. Failed retrograde transport of NGF in a mouse model of Down's syndrome: Reversal of cholinergic neurodegenerative phenotypes following NGF infusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 10439–10444. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Detection of NGF-like activity in human brain tissue: Increased levels in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci 13: 2540–2550. , , , , .
- 2002. Impaired axonal transport of cortical neurons in Alzheimer's disease is associated with neuropathological changes. Brain Res 948: 138–144. , , , .
- 1992. A double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter study of tacrine for Alzheimer's disease. The Tacrine Collaborative Study Group. New Engl J Med 327: 1253–1259. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Coexistence of choline acetyltransferase and nerve growth factor receptors in the rat basal forebrain. Neurosci Lett 94: 138–144. , , .
- 1992. Delayed treatment with nerve growth factor improves acquisition of a spatial task in rats with lesions of the nucleus basalis magnocellularis: Evaluation of the involvement of different neurotransmitter systems. Neuroscience 48: 111–119. , , .
- 1994. Implants of polymer-encapsulated human NGF-secreting cells in the nonhuman primate: Rescue and sprouting of degenerating cholinergic basal forebrain neurons. J Comp Neurol 349: 148–164. , , , , , .
- 1996. Distribution of radioiodinated recombinant human nerve growth factor in primate brain following intracerebroventricular infusion. Exp Neurol 140: 151–160. , , , , , .
- 1998. Intracerebroventricular infusion of nerve growth factor in three patients with Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 9: 246–257. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Nerve growth factor mRNA and protein levels measured in the same tissue from normal and Alzheimer's disease parietal cortex. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 42: 175–178. , , , , .
- 1987. Amelioration of cholinergic neuron atrophy and spatial memory impairment in aged rats by nerve growth factor. Nature 329: 65–68. , , , , , .
- 1996. Functional recovery in parkinsonian monkeys treated with GDNF. Nature 380: 252–255. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Direct brain infusion of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in Parkinson disease. Nat Med 9: 589–595. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of subcutaneous recombinant human ciliary neurotrophic factor (rhCNTF) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurology 46: 1244–1249. .
- 1999. A controlled trial of recombinant methionyl human BDNF in ALS: The BDNF STudy Group (Phase III). Neurology 52: 1427–1433. .
- 2000. Treatment of Alzheimer's disease: Rationale and strategies. Neurol Clin 18: 807–828. , .
- 1986. Nerve growth factor (NGF) promotes survival of septal cholinergic neurons after fimbrial transection. J Neurosci 6: 2155–2162. .
- 1998. NGF content in the cerebral cortex of non-demented patients with amyloid-plaques and in symptomatic Alzheimer's disease. Int J Dev Neurosci 16: 787–794. , , , , .
- 2000. Region-specific neurotrophin imbalances in Alzheimer disease: Decreased levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and increased levels of nerve growth factor in hippocampus and cortical areas. Arch Neurol 57: 846–851. , , , , .
- 1993. Nerve growth factor reverses neuronal atrophy in a Down syndrome model of age-related neurodegeneration. Neurology 43: 2668–2673. , , , , , .
- 1992. p140trk mRNA marks NGF-responsive forebrain neurons: Evidence that trk gene expression is induced by NGF. Neuron 9: 465–478. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Nerve growth factor effects on cholinergic modulation of hippocampal and cortical plasticity. In: MocchettiI, editor. Neurobiology of the Neurotrophins. Johnson City, TN: F.P. Graham Publishing. , .
- 2004. Signaling endosome hypothesis: A cellular mechanism for long distance communication. J Neurobiol 58: 207–216. , .
- 1997. Differential modulation of the cholinergic phenotype of the nucleus basalis magnocellularis neurons by applying NGF at the cell body or cortical terminal fields. Exp Neurol 143: 162–171. , , .
- 1990. Intracerebral NGF infusion induces hyperinnervation of cerebral blood vessels. Neurobiol Aging 11: 51–55. , , .
- 2000. Neurotrophin signal transduction in the nervous system. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 381–391. , .
- 1988. Immunohistochemical localization of cells containing nerve growth factor receptors in the different regions of the adult rat forebrain. Neurosci Lett 27: 731–748. , , .
- 2000. NGF gene transfer to intrinsic basal forebrain neurons increases cholinergic cell size and protects from age-related, spatial memory deficits in middle-aged rats. Brain Res 875: 144–151. , , , , , .
- 1991. Human nerve growth factor prevents degeneration of basal forebrain cholinergic neurons in primates. Ann Neurol 30: 831–840. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neurodegeneration prevented by lentiviral vector delivery of GDNF in primate models of Parkinson's disease. Science 290: 767–773. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Clinicopathological findings following intraventricular glial-derived neurotrophic factor treatment in a patient with Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol 46: 419–424. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The aged monkey basal forebrain: Rescue and sprouting of axotomized basal forebrain neurons after grafts of encapsulated cells secreting human nerve growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 10898–10902. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Levels of nerve growth factor and its mRNA in the central nervous system of the rat correlate with cholinergic innervation. EMBO J 4: 1389–1393. , , , , .
- 1987. Nerve growth factor treatment after brain injury prevents neuronal death. Science 235: 214–216. .
- 1987. The nerve growth factor 35 years later. Science 237: 1154–1162. .
- 1951. Selective growth stimulating effects of mouse sarcoma on the sensory and sympathetic nervous system of the chick embryo. J Exp Zool 116: 321–362. , .
- 1953. A diffusible agent of mouse sarcoma, producing hyperplasia of sympathetic ganglia and hyperneurotization of viscera in the chick embryo. J Exp Zool 123: 233–288. , .
- 1954. In vitro experiments on the effects of mouse sarcoma 180 and 37 on the spinal and sympathetic ganglia of the chick embryo. Cancer Res 14: 49–57. , , .
- 1993. Long-term protective effects of human recombinant nerve growth factor and monosialoganglioside GM1 treatment on primate nucleus basalis cholinergic neurons after neocortical infarction. Neuroscience 53: 625–637. , , , , .
- 1994. High affinity nerve growth factor binding displays a faster rate of association than p140trk binding. Implications for multisubunit polypedtide receptors. J Biol Chem 269: 6884–6891. , , , .
- 2003. Clogging of axons by tau, inhibition of axonal traffic and starvation of synapses. Neurobiol Aging 24: 1079–1085. , , , , .
- 1994. Human nerve growth factor improves spatial memory in aged but not in young rats. J Neurosci 14: 4815–4824. , , , , .
- 1991. Cortical and subcortical patterns of synaptophysinlike immunoreactivity in Alzheimer's disease. Am J Pathol 138: 235–246. , , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophin signalling pathways regulating neuronal apoptosis. Curr Opin Neurobiol 11: 297–305. , .
- 1989. Loss of nerve growth factor receptor-containing neurons in Alzheimer's disease: A quantitative analysis across subregions of the basal forebrain. Exp Neurol 105: 221–232. , , .
- 1995. Nerve growth factor in Alzheimer's disease: Defective retrograde transport to nucleus basalis. Neuroreport 6: 1063–1066. , , .
- 2003a. Human cholinergic basal forebrain: Chemoanatomy and neurologic dysfunction. J Chem Neuroanat 26: 233–242. , , , .
- 2003b. Preservation of brain nerve growth factor in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol 60: 1143–1148. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Reduction in p140-TrKA receptor protein within the nucleus basalis and cortex in Alzheimer's disease. ExpNeurol 146: 91–103. , , , , , .
- 2002. Loss of basal forebrain P75(NTR) immunoreactivity in subjects with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. J Comp Neurol 443: 136–153. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regional specificity of alterations in NGF, BDNF and NT-3 levels in Alzheimer's disease. Neuroreport 7: 2925–2928. , , , , .
- 2003. Randomized, double-blind trial of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in PD. Neurology 60: 69–73. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Cholinergic correlates of cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease: Comparison with Alzheimer's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 48: 413–421. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Correlation of cholinergic abnormalities with senile plaques and mental test scores in senile dementia. Br Med J 2: 1457–1459. , , , , , .
- 2001. Brain metabolic and clinical effects of rivastigmine in Alzheimer's disease. Int J Neuropsychopharm 4: 223–230. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Further analysis of the effects of immunotoxic lesions of the basal nucleus of Meynert reveals substantial impairment on visual discrimination learning in monkeys. Brain Res Bull 65: 433–442. , , , .
- 1988. Grafting genetically modified cells to the damaged brain: Restorative effects of NGF expression. Science 242: 1575–1578. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Increased App expression in a mouse model of Down's syndrome disrupts NGF transport and causes cholinergic neuron degeneration. Neuron 51: 29–42. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Alzheimer's disease and NGF signaling. J Neural Transm 111: 323–345. , , .
- 2000. Alterations in trk A,trk B and trk C receptor immunoreactivities in parietal cortex and cerebellum in Alzheimer's disease. Eur Neurol 44: 172–180. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Nerve growth factor in Alzheimer's disease: Increased levels throughout the brain coupled with declines in nucleus basalis. J Neurosci 15: 6213–6221. , , , , .
- 1999. Age-associated neuronal atrophy occurs in the primate brain and is reversible by growth factor gene therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 10893–10898. , , , .
- 1993. Atrophy but not death of adult septal cholinergic neurons after ablation of target capacity to produce mRNAs for NGF, BDNF, and NT3. J Neurosci 13: 5263–5276. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Survival of adult basal forebrain cholinergic neurons after loss of target neurons. Science 247: 338–342. , , , .
- 2001. Nerve growth factor signaling,neuroprotection, and neural repair. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: 1217–1281. , , .
- 2005. Axonopathy and transport deficits early in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. Science 307: 1282–1288. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophic factors. In: M.H.a.K TuszynskiJH,editor. CNS Regeneration: Basic Science and Clinical Advances. San Diego: Academic Press, pp 109–158. .
- 2002. Gene therapy for neurodegenerative disorders. Lancet Neurol 2002: 51–57. .
- 1995. Bridging grafts and transient NGF infusions promote long-term CNS neuronal rescue and partial functional recovery. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 4621–4625. , .
- 1996. Gene therapy in the adult primate brain: Intraparenchymal grafts of cells genetically modified to produce nerve growth factor prevent cholinergic neuronal degeneration. Gene Therapy 3: 305–314. , , , , .
- 2005. A phase 1 clinical trial of nerve growth factor gene therapy for Alzheimer disease. Nat Med 11: 551–555. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Nerve growth factor infusion in primate brain reduces lesion-induced cholinergic neuronal degeneration. J Neurosci 10: 3604–3614. , , , .
- 1991. Recombinant human nerve growth factor infusions prevent cholinergic neuronal degeneration in the adult primate brain. Ann Neurol 30: 625–636. , , .
- 1983. Human beta-nerve growth factor gene sequence highly homologous to that of mouse. Nature 303: 821–825. , , , .
- 2005. Gene therapy: Twenty-first century medicine. Annu Rev Biochem 74: 711–738. , .
- 1994. Basal forebrain lesions in monkeys disrupt attention but not learning and memory. J Neurosci 14: 167–186. , , , , , .
- 1997. The nucleus basalis magnocellularis cholinergic system: One hundred years of progress. Neurobiol Learn Mem 67: 85–95. .
- 1986. Developmental and regional expression of B nerve growth factor messenger RNA and protein in the rat central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 817–821. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Hypophagia is induced by intracerebroventricular administration of nerve growth factor. Exp Neurol 113: 31–37. .
- 1986. Continuous infusion of nerve growth factor prevents basal forebrain neuronal death after fimbria-fornix transection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 9231–9235. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Reversible Schwann cell hyperplasia and sprouting of sensory and sympathetic neurites after intraventricular administration of nerve growth factor. Ann Neurol 41: 82–93. , , , , , , , , .