HDAC4 inhibits cell-cycle progression and protects neurons from cell death
Article first published online: 22 MAY 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 68, Issue 8, pages 1076–1092, July 2008
How to Cite
Majdzadeh, N., Wang, L., Morrison, B. E., Bassel-Duby, R., Olson, E. N. and D'Mello, S. R. (2008), HDAC4 inhibits cell-cycle progression and protects neurons from cell death. Devel Neurobio, 68: 1076–1092. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20637
- Issue published online: 11 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 22 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2007
- NIH–NINDS. Grant Number: NS40408
- 2006. Cdh1-APC/C, cyclin B-Cdc2, and Alzheimer's disease pathology. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339: 1–6. , .
- 2006. Differential contributions of Caenorhabditis elegans histone deacetylases to huntingtin polyglutamine toxicity. J Neurosci 26: 2830–2838. , , , , .
- 2004. Cell cycle regulation of neuronal apoptosis in development and disease. Prog Neurobiol 72: 1–25. , .
- 2005. Intracellular trafficking of histone deacetylase 4 regulates neuronal cell death. J Neurosci 25: 9544–9553. , .
- 2003. Selective E2F-dependent gene transcription is controlled by histone deacetylase activity during neuronal apoptosis. J Neurochem 84: 814–828. , , .
- 2006. Histone deacetylase inhibitors as therapeutics for polyglutamine disorders. Nat Rev Neurosci 7: 784–796. , .
- 2003. Insulin-like growth factor-I suppresses degradation of the pro-survival transcription factor myocyte enhancer factor 2D (MEF2D) during neuronal apoptosis. Horm Metab Res 35: 763–770. , , , , .
- 1998. Apaf1 (CED-4 homolog) regulates programmed cell death in mammalian development. Cell 94: 727–737. , , , , .
- 2005. An expression screen reveals modulators of class II histone deacetylase phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 8120–8125. , , , .
- 2004. Histone deacetylases 5 and 9 govern responsiveness of the heart to a subset of stress signals and play redundant roles in heart development. Mol Cell Biol 24: 8467–8476. , , , , , .
- 2006. Histone deacetylase 7 maintains vascular integrity by repressing matrix metalloproteinase 10. Cell 126: 321–334. , , , , , .
- 2003. Neuronal activity-dependent nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of HDAC4 and HDAC5. J Neurochem 85: 151–159. , , , , .
- 2006. Valproate protects dopaminergic neurons in midbrain neuron/glia cultures by stimulating the release of neurotrophic factors from astrocytes. Mol Psychiatry 11: 1116–1125. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Inhibition of GSK3beta is a common event in neuroprotection by different survival factors. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 137: 193–201. , , .
- 2001. Activation of cell-cycle-associated proteins in neuronal death: A mandatory or dispensable path? Trends Neurosci 24: 25–31. , , , , , .
- 2005. Treating neurodegenerative conditions through the understanding of neuronal apoptosis. Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 4: 3–23. , .
- 1993. Induction of apoptosis in cerebellar granule neurons by low potassium: Inhibition of death by insulin-like growth factor I and cAMP. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 10989–10993. , , , .
- 2003. Histone deacetylases (HDACs): Characterization of the classical HDAC family. Biochem J 370: 737–749. , , , , .
- 1994. Altered gene expression in neurons during programmed cell death: Identification of c-jun as necessary for neuronal apoptosis. J Cell Biol 127: 1717–1727. , , , , , .
- 2006. Pharmacological inhibition of histone deacetylases by suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid specifically alters gene expression and reduces ischemic injury in the mouse brain. Mol Pharmacol 70: 1876–1884. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Histone deacetylase inhibition by sodium butyrate chemotherapy ameliorates the neurodegenerative phenotype in Huntington's disease mice. J Neurosci 23: 9418–9427. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Analysis of cell cycle-related gene expression in postmitotic neurons: Selective induction of Cyclin D1 during programmed cell death. Neuron 12: 343–355. , , .
- 2005. Neuroprotective effects of phenylbutyrate in the N171–82Q transgenic mouse model of Huntington's disease. J Biol Chem 280: 556–563. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Neuroprotective effects of phenylbutyrate against MPTP neurotoxicity. Neuromolecular Med 5: 235–241. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cell cycle molecules and vertebrate neuron death: E2F at the hub. Cell Death Differ 11: 49–60. , , .
- 1999. Three proteins define a class of human histone deacetylases related to yeast Hda1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 4868–4873. , , .
- 1998. Differential requirement for caspase 9 in apoptotic pathways in vivo. Cell 94: 339–352. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. A c-Jun dominant negative mutant protects sympathetic neurons against programmed cell death. Neuron 14: 927–939. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, ameliorates motor deficits in a mouse model of Huntington's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 2041–2046. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Valproic acid, a mood stabilizer and anticonvulsant, protects rat cerebral cortical neurons from spontaneous cell death: A role of histone deacetylase inhibition. FEBS Lett 542: 74–78. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Valproic acid inhibits histone deacetylase activity and suppresses excitotoxicity-induced GAPDH nuclear accumulation and apoptotic death in neurons. Pharmacogenomics J 4: 336–344. , , , , .
- 2002. The GSK3 beta signaling cascade and neurodegenerative disease. Curr Opin Neurobiol 12: 275–278. , .
- 2003. The E2F-Cdc2 cell-cycle pathway specifically mediates activity deprivation-induced apoptosis of postmitotic neurons. J Neurosci 23: 1649–1658. , .
- 2002. Cdc2 phosphorylation of BAD links the cell cycle to the cell death machinery. Mol Cell 9: 1005–1016. , , , .
- 2001. NF-κB is involved in the survival of cerebellar granule neurons: Association of IκBβ [correction of Iκβ] phosphorylation with cell survival. J Neurochem 76: 1188–1198. , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular basis of programmed cell death involved in neurodegeneration. Trends Neurosci 28: 670–676. , , , .
- 1998. Reduced apoptosis and cytochrome c-mediated caspase activation in mice-lacking caspase 9. Cell 94: 325–337. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Decreased apoptosis in the brain and premature lethality in CPP32-deficient mice. Nature 384: 368–372. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Essential function of histone deacetylase 1 in proliferation control and CDK inhibitor repression. Embo J 21: 2672–2681. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Remodeling chromatin and stress resistance in the central nervous system: Histone deacetylase inhibitors as novel and broadly effective neuroprotective agents. Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 4: 41–50. , , , .
- 2003. Inactivation of the myocyte enhancer factor-2 repressor histone deacetylase-5 by endogenous Ca2+ //calmodulin-dependent kinase II promotes depolarization-mediated cerebellar granule neuron survival. J Biol Chem 278: 41472–41481. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Signal-dependent activation of the MEF2 transcription factor by dissociation from histone deacetylases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 4070–4075. , , , .
- 2000. Activation of the myocyte enhancer factor-2 transcription factor by calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-stimulated binding of 14–3-3 to histone deacetylase 5. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 14400–14405. , , .
- 2001. Aberrant apoptosis in the neurological mutant flathead is associated with defective cytokinesis of neural progenitor cells. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 130: 53–63. , , , , .
- 2007. Histone deacetylases 1 and 2 redundantly regulate cardiac morphogenesis, growth, and contractility. Genes Dev 21: 1790–1802. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Neuroprotection by histone deacetylase-related protein. Mol Cell Biol 26: 3550–3564. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Antiapoptotic role of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-myocyte enhancer factor 2 transcription factor pathway during neuronal differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 7561–7566. , , , .
- 1999. Role of cell cycle regulatory proteins in cerebellar granule neuron apoptosis. J Neurosci 19: 8747–8756. , , , .
- 2006. Additive neuroprotective effects of a histone deacetylase inhibitor and a catalytic antioxidant in a transgenic mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurobiol Dis 22: 40–49. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The hairless gene mutated in congenital hair loss disorders encodes a novel nuclear receptor corepressor. Genes Dev 15: 2687–2701. , , , , , .
- 2004. Valproic acid reduces brain damage induced by transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats: Potential roles of histone deacetylase inhibition and heat shock protein induction. JNeurochem 89: 1358–1367. , , , , .
- 2003. Histone deacetylase inhibitors prevent oxidative neuronal death independent of expanded polyglutamine repeats via an Sp1-dependent pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 4281–4286. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Up-regulation of cyclin D1 occurs in apoptosis of immature but not mature cerebellar granule neurons in culture. J Neurosci Res 58: 396–406. , , , .
- 1998. Neuronal apoptosis induced by histone deacetylase inhibitors. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 61: 203–206. , , , .
- 2004. Activation of the c-Jun transcription factor following neurodegeneration in vivo. Neurosci Lett 361: 36–39. .
- 2001. Histone deacetylase inhibitors arrest polyglutamine-dependent neurodegeneration in Drosophila. Nature 413: 739–743. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Hdac2 regulates the cardiac hypertrophic response by modulating Gsk3 beta activity. Nat Med 13: 324–331. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sustained hippocampal chromatin regulation in a mouse model of depression and antidepressant action. Nat Neurosci 9: 519–525. , , , , , .
- 2004. Histone deacetylase 4 controls chondrocyte hypertrophy during skeletogenesis. Cell 119: 555–566. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Class II histone deacetylases: Versatile regulators. Trends Genet 19: 286–293. , , .
- 1999. HDAC4, a human histone deacetylase related to yeast HDA1, is a transcriptional corepressor. Mol Cell Biol 19: 7816–7827. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Phosphorylation of c-Jun is necessary for apoptosis induced by survival signal withdrawal in cerebellar granule neurons. J Neurosci 18: 751–762. , , , , , .
- 2003. Apoptosis in cerebellar granule neurons is associated with reduced interaction between CREB-binding protein and NF-κB. J Neurochem 84: 397–408. , , , , .
- 2005. Class II histone deacetylases: From sequence to function, regulation, and clinical implication. Mol Cell Biol 25: 2873–2884. , .
- 1998. Apaf1 is required for mitochondrial pathways of apoptosis and brain development. Cell 94: 739–750. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The transcriptional corepressor MITR is a signal-responsive inhibitor of myogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 7354–7359. , , .
- 2002. Sox9 transactivation and testicular expression of a novel human gene. KIAA0800 J Cell Biochem 86: 277–289. , , .