Expression of the Pax2 transcription factor is associated with vestibular phenotype in the avian inner ear
Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 69, Issue 2-3, pages 191–202, 1 - 15 February 2009
How to Cite
Warchol, M. E. and Richardson, G. P. (2009), Expression of the Pax2 transcription factor is associated with vestibular phenotype in the avian inner ear. Devel Neurobio, 69: 191–202. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20684
- Issue online: 12 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2008
- NIDCD (National Institutes of Health). Grant Number: R01 DC006283
- NIH/NIDCD. Grant Number: P30 DC04665
- Grass Foundation
- 2007. Changes in Sef levels influence auditory brainstem development and function. J Neurosci 27: 4273–4282. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Identification pf Pax2-regulated genes by expression profiling of the mid-hindbrain organizer region. Development 132: 2633–2643. , , , , ,
- 2004. The role of Pax2 in mouse inner ear development. Dev Biol 272: 161–175. , , , , .
- 1997. Fish n' chicks: Model recipes for hair-cell regeneration. Neuron 19: 951–954. , .
- 2006. Identification of the hair cell soma antigen HCS-1 as otoferlin. Assoc Res Otolaryngol. Ann Midwinter Research Meeting (Baltimore, MD); Abstract 665. , , , .
- 1992. Pax-2 is a DNA-binding protein expressed in embryonic kidney and Wilms tumor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 1179–1183. , .
- EatockRA,FayRR,PopperAN, editors. 2006. Vertebrate Hair Cells. New York: Springer.
- 2002. Survival of bundleless hair cells and subsequent bundle replacement in the bullfrog's saccule. J Neurobiol 50: 81–92. , , , .
- 2000. Competence, specification and commitment in otic placode induction. Development 127: 3489–3499. , .
- 2003. Gene expression differences in quiescent versus regenerating hair cells of avian sensory epithelia: Implications for human hearing and balance disorders. Hum Mol Genet 12: 1261–1272. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Large scale gene expression profiles of regenerating inner ear sensory epithelia. PLoS One 2: e525. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of Pax2 and patterning of the chick inner ear. J Neurocytol 28: 795–807. , , , , .
- 2007. Fgf8 induces pillar cell fate and regulates cellular patterning in the mammalian cochlea. Development 134: 3021–3029. , , , , .
- 1973. On the structure of the avian maculae. Acta Zool 54: 121–130. , .
- 1989. Number and distribution of hair cells in the utricular maculae of some avian species. J Morphol 201: 187–204. .
- 1998. Eya1 expression in the developing ear and kidney: Towards the understanding of the pathogenesis of branchio-oto-renal (BOR) syndrome. Dev Dyn 213: 486–499. , , , .
- 1999. An essential role for the Drosophila Pax2 homolog in the differentiation of adult sensory organs. Development 126: 2261–2272. , , , , .
- 2006. Regulation of cell fate in the sensory epithelia of the inner ear. Nat Rev Neurosci 7: 837–849. .
- 2007. PAX genes: Roles in development, pathophysiology, and cancer. Biochem Pharmacol 73: 1–14. , , , , .
- 1985. The very distal part of the basilar papila in the chicken: A morphological approach. J Comp Neurol 238: 340–347. , , .
- 2002. Expression of the transcription factors GATA3 and Pax2 during development of the mammalian inner ear. J Comp Neurol 442: 378–391. , , .
- 2004. Correlation of Pax-2 expression with cell proliferation in the developing chicken inner ear. J Neurobiol 60: 61–70. , , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of damage and regeneration in cultured avian utricles. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 46–63. , , , .
- 2003. Expression of Pax258 in the gastropod statocyst: Insights into the antiquity of metazoan geosensory organs. Evol Dev 5: 572–578. , .
- 2004. Cubozoan jellyfish: An Evo/Devo model for eyes and other sensory systems. Int J Dev Biol 48: 719–729. , .
- 1999. The deltaA gene of zebrafish mediates lateral inhibition of hair cells in the inner ear and is regulated by Pax2.1. Development 126: 5669–5678. , , , .
- 2004. Otx2, Gbx2, and Fgf8 expression patterns in the chick developing inner ear and their possible roles in otic specification and early innervation. Gene Exp Pat 4: 659–669. , , .
- 2005. Pax2 expression patterns in the developing chick inner ear. Gene Exp Pat 5: 763–773. , , .
- 1999. Progenitor cell cycling during hair cell regeneration in the vestibular and auditory epithelia of the chick. J Neurocytol 28: 863–876. , , , , .
- 1995. Pax2 controls multiple steps of urogenital development. Development 121: 4057–4065. , , , .
- 1996. Pax2 contributes to inner ear patterning and optic nerve trajectory. Development 122: 3381–3391. , , .
- 2007. Characterization of supporting cell phenotype in the avian inner ear: Implications for sensory regeneration. Hear Res 227: 11–18. .
- 1989. Neural responsiveness to very low frequency sound in the chick cochlear nucleus. J Comp Physiol 166: 83–95. , .
- 1996. Regenerative proliferation in organ cultures of the avian cochlea: identification of the initial progenitors and determination of the latency of the proliferative response. J Neurosci 16: 5466–5477. ,
- 2007. Expression of GATA3 and tenascin in the avian vestibular maculae: Normative patterns and changes during sensory regeneration. J Comp Neurol 500: 646–657. , .
- 1993. Hair cell regeneration after streptomycin toxicity in the avian vestibular system. J Comp Neurol 331: 97–110. , .
- 1997. Mouse Eya homologues of the Drosophila eyes absent gene require Pax6 fro expression in lens and nasal placode. Development 124: 219–231. , , , , .
- 2003. The role of Six1 in mammalian auditory system development. Development 130: 3989–4000. , , , , , .
- 2006. Eya1 and Six1 are essential for early steps of sensory neurogenesis in mammalian cranial placodes. Development 131: 5561–5572. , , , .