Myosin-II negatively regulates minor process extension and the temporal development of neuronal polarity
Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 69, Issue 5, pages 279–298, April 2009
How to Cite
Kollins, K.M., Hu, J., Bridgman, P.C., Huang, Y.Q. and Gallo, G. (2009), Myosin-II negatively regulates minor process extension and the temporal development of neuronal polarity. Devel Neurobio, 69: 279–298. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20704
- Issue online: 4 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 12 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Received: 8 OCT 2008
- NIH. Grant Numbers: NS048090, NS026150
- NRSA. Grant Number: 8102122
- 2005. The structural basis of blebbistatin inhibition and specificity for myosin II. Nat Struct Mol Biol 12: 378–379. , , .
- 2000. Regulation and functions of Rho-associated kinase. Exp Cell Res 261: 44–51. , , .
- 2007. Neuronal polarity: From extracellular signals to intracellular mechanisms. Nat Rev Neurosci 8: 194–205. , .
- 2007. Replacement of nonmuscle myosin II-B with II-A rescues brain but not cardiac defects in mice. J Biol Chem 282: 22102–22111. , , , .
- 2007. LKB1 and SAD kinases define a pathway required for the polarization of cortical neurons. Cell 129: 549–563. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Nucleokinesis in tangentially migrating neurons comprises two alternating phases: Forward migration of the Golgi/centrosome associated with centrosome splitting and myosin contraction at the rear. J Neurosci 25: 5691–5699. , , , , .
- 2006. Traction forces of fibroblasts are regulated by the Rho-dependent kinase but not by the myosin light chain kinase. Arch Biochem Biophys 456: 224–231. , , , , .
- 2001. Inhibition of neurite extension by overexpression of individual domains of LIM kinase 1. J Neurochem 78: 924–927. , , .
- 2000. A critical role for a Rho-associated kinase,p160ROCK, in determining axon outgrowth in mammalian CNS neurons. Neuron 26: 431–441. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000a. Establishment of neuronal polarity: Lessons from cultured hippocampal neurons. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 574–581. , .
- 2000b. Changes in membrane trafficking and actin dynamics during axon formation in cultured hippocampal neurons. Microsc Res Tech 48: 3–11. , .
- 1999. Molecular mechanisms of nonmuscle myosin-II regulation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 26–33. .
- 2004. Myosin function in nervous and sensory systems. J Neurobiol 58: 118–130. , .
- 2008. Pyramidal neuron polarity axis is defined at the bipolar stage. J Cell Sci 121: 178–185. , , , .
- 1997. Cytomechanics of neurite outgrowth from chick brain neurons. J Cell Sci 110 (Pt 10): 1179–1186. , , , .
- 2003. Elucidation of the separate roles of myosins IIA and IIB during neurite outgrowth, adhesion and retraction. IEE Proc Nanobiotechnol 150: 111–125. , .
- 2008. Nonmuscle myosin moves in new directions. J Cell Sci 121: 11–18. , .
- 1994. Neuronal polarity. Annu Rev Neurosci 17: 267–310. , .
- 2002. Breaking the neuronal sphere: Regulation of the actin cytoskeleton in neuritogenesis. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 694–704. , .
- 2003. RhoA/ROCK regulation of neuritogenesis via profilin IIa-mediated control of actin stability. J Cell Biol 162: 1267–1279. , , , , , .
- 2004. Actin and microtubules in neurite initiation: Are MAPs the missing link? J Neurobiol 58: 18–33. , .
- 2003. The role of microtubule-associated protein 2c in the reorganization of MTs and lamellipodia during neurite initiation. J Neurosci 29: 9479–9990. , , , .
- 2003. Cytoskeletal dynamics and transport in growth cone motility and axon guidance. Neuron 40: 209–227. , .
- 2007. Filopodia are required for cortical neurite initiation. Nat Cell Biol 9: 1347–1359. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. RhoA binds to the amino terminus of MEKK1 and regulates its kinase activity. J Biol Chem 279: 1872–1877. , , , .
- 2004. Myosin II activity is required for severing-induced axon retraction in vitro. Exp Neurol 189: 112–121. .
- 2002. Actin turnover is required to prevent axon retraction driven by endogenous actomyosin contractility. J Cell Biol 158: 1219–1228. , , .
- 2004. Identification and characterization of nonmuscle myosin II-C, a new member of the myosin II family. J Biol Chem 279: 2800–2808. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Experimental observations on the development of polarity by hippocampal neurons in culture. J Cell Biol 108: 1507–1516. , .
- 2005. The role of the Rho GTPases in neuronal development. Genes Dev 19: 1–49. , , .
- 2003. The culture of chick forebrain neurons. Methods Cell Biol 71: 51–65. , , , .
- 2006. A change in the selective translocation of the Kinesin-1 motor domain marks the initial specification of the axon. Neuron 49: 797–804. , , .
- 2007. Axon extension in the fast and slow lanes: Substratum-dependent engagement of myosin II functions. Dev Neurobiol 67: 1305–1320. , , .
- 2004. Modulation of actomyosin contractility by myosin light chain phosphorylation/dephosphorylation through Rho GTPases signaling specifies axon formation in neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 318: 579–587. , .
- 2002. Constitutively active myosin light chain kinase alters axon guidance decisions in Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol 249: 367–381. , , , .
- 2006. Rho GTPases and their regulators in neuronal functions and development. Neurosignals 15: 228–237. .
- 2007. RPTPα is required for rigidity-dependent inhibition of extension and differentiation of hippocampal neurons. J Cell Sci 120: 3895–3904. , , .
- 2008. Myosin IIA is required for neurite outgrowth inhibition produced by repulsive guidance molecule. J Neurochem 105: 113–126. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Ena/VASP is Required for neuritogenesis in the developing cortex. Neuron 56: 441–455. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Mechanical tension can specify axonal fate in hippocampal neurons. J Cell Biol 159: 499–508. , , , .
- 1987. “Pull” and “push” in neurite elongation: Observations on the effects of different concentrations of cytochalasin B and taxol. Cell Motil Cyto 8: 193–209. , , .
- 2006. The multipolar stage and disruptions in neuronal migration. Trends Neurosci 29: 407–413. , .
- 2006. RhoA-kinase and myosin II are required for the maintenance of growth cone polarity and guidance by nerve growth factor. J Neurobiol 66: 847–867. , , , .
- 2000. Rho GTPases in neuronal morphogenesis. Nat Rev Neurosci 1: 173–180. .
- 2007. Loss of cell adhesion causes hydrocephalus in nonmuscle myosin II-B-ablated and mutated mice. Mol Biol Cell 18: 2305–2312. , , .
- 1984. Growth of neurites without filopodial or lamellipodial activity in the presence of cytochalasin B. J Cell Biol 99: 2041–2047. , .
- 2006. Myosin II functions in actin-bundle turnover in neuronal growth cones. Nat Cell Biol 8: 215–226. , , .
- 2006. Cell and molecular mechanisms involved in the migration of cortical interneurons. Eur J Neurosci 23: 894–900. , , , .
- 2004. Rho GTPases regulate axon growth through convergent and divergent signaling pathways. Neuron 44: 779–793. , .
- 2005. PAR-6-PAR-3 mediates Cdc42-induced Rac activation through the Rac GEFs STEF/Tiam1. Nat Cell Biol 7: 270–277. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Cortical neurons arise in symmetric and asymmetric division zones and migrate through specific phases. Nat Neurosci 7: 136–144. , , , .
- 1996. Microtubule stability decreases axon elongation but not axoplasm production. J Neurosci 16: 3236–3246. , , .
- 2007. Attenuation of actinomyosin II contractile activity in growth cones accelerates filopodia-guided and microtubule-based neurite elongation. Brain Res 1176: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2006. A critical role for myosin IIb in dendritic spine morphology and synaptic function. Neuron 49: 175–182. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. LKB1/STRAD promotes axon initiation during neuronal polarization. Cell 129: 565–577. , , , , .
- 2006. Neuronal polarity in CNS development. Genes Dev 20: 2639–2647. , , , .
- 2003. Dissecting temporal and spatial control of cytokinesis with a myosin II inhibitor. Science 299: 1743–1747. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Distinct roles of MLCK and ROCK in the regulation of membrane protrusions and focal adhesion dynamics during cell migration of fibroblasts. J Cell Biol 164: 427–439. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Structural abnormalities develop in the brain after ablation of the gene encoding nonmuscle myosin II-B heavy chain. J Comp Neurol 433: 62–74. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Polarity sorting of actin filaments in cytochalasin-treated fibroblasts. J Cell Sci 110: 1693–1704. , , .
- 2005. Polarity proteins in axon specification and synaptogenesis. Dev Cell 8: 803–816. , , .
- 2001. Separate but linked functions of conventional myosins modulate adhesion and neurite outgrowth. Nat Cell Biol 3: 88–92. , .
- 2003. Myosin IIA drives neurite retraction. Mol Biol Cell 14: 4654–4666. , .
- 2006. Signaling networks in neuronal polarization. J Neurosci 26: 10626–10630. , , .