Captivity reduces hippocampal volume but not survival of new cells in a food-storing bird
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 69, Issue 14, pages 972–981, December 2009
How to Cite
Tarr, B. A., Rabinowitz, J. S., Imtiaz, M. A. and DeVoogd, T. J. (2009), Captivity reduces hippocampal volume but not survival of new cells in a food-storing bird. Devel Neurobio, 69: 972–981. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20736
- Issue published online: 10 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 23 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 12 NOV 2008
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: MH56093
- 2008. Correlates of intellectual ability with morphology of the hippocampus and amygdala in healthy adults. Brain Cognit 66: 105–114. , , , , , .
- 2006. Anatomy of the avian hippocampal formation. Rev Neurosci 17: 3–15. , .
- 2006. Social and spatial changes induce multiple survival regimes for new neurons in two regions of the adult brain: An anatomical representation of time? Behav Brain Res 167: 63–74. , , .
- 1994. Seasonal recruitment of hippocampal neurons in adult free-ranging hippocampal-ablated pigeons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 11217–11221. , .
- 1996. Recruitment and replacement of hippocampal neurons in young and adult chickadees: An addition to the theory of hippocampal learning. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 714–718. ,
- 2006. Isolation rearing induces recognition memory deficits accompanied by cytoskeletal alterations in rat hippocampus. Eur J Neurosci 24: 2894–2902. , , , , , .
- 2006. Stress and brain atrophy. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 5: 503–512. .
- 2003. Enriched environment and physical activity stimulate hippocampal but not olfactory bulb neurogenesis. Eur J Neurosci 17: 2042–2046. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Lower hippocampal volume in patients suffering from depression: A meta-analysis. Am J Psychiatry 161: 598–607. , , , .
- 2006. Alzheimer's disease a century later. J Clin Psychiatry 67: 1784–1800. , , , .
- 1986. Connections of the pigeon dorsomedial forebrain studied with WGA-HRP and 3H-proline. J Comp Neurol 245: 454–470. , , .
- 1991. Selective vulnerability in brain hypoxia. Crit Rev Neurobiol 6: 149–182. , .
- 1994a. Memory for spatial and object-specific cues in food-storing and non-storing birds. J Comp Physiol A 174: 371–379. , .
- 1994b. Hippocampal growth and attrition in birds affected by experience. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 7410–7414. , .
- 2002. Exercise: A behavioral intervention to enhance brain health and plasticity. Trends Neurosci 25: 295–301. , .
- 1935. The hippocampal and parahippocampal cortex of the emu (Dromiceius). J Comp Neurol 61: 563–591. .
- 1996. Food storing does not affect hippocampal volume in experienced adult willow tits. Behav Brain Res 81: 233–236. .
- 2001. Stress-induced changes in cerebral metabolites, hippocampal volume, and cell proliferation are prevented by antidepressant treatment with tianeptine. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 12796–12801. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Neurogenesis and learning: Acquisition and asymptotic performance predict how many new cells survive in the hippocampus. Neurobiol Learn Mem 88: 143–148. , , , .
- 2007. Is hippocampal atrophy a future drug target? Med Hypoth 68: 1300–1306. , .
- 2006. A neurotrophic model for stress-related mood disorders. Biol Psychiatry 59: 1116–1127. , .
- 2005. Voluntary exercise alters the cytoarchitecture of the adult dentate gyrus by increasing cellular proliferation, dendritic complexity, and spine density. J Compa Neurol 486: 39–47. , , .
- 1991. The distribution of neuropeptides in the dorsomedial telencephalon of the pigeon (Columba livia): A basis for regional subdivisions. J Comp Neurol 314: 478–492. , , .
- 1997. Sex differences in dendritic atrophy of CA3 pyramidal neurons in response to chronic restraint stress. Neuroscience 81: 689–697. , , , , , .
- 1999. Learning enhances adult neurogenesis in the hippocampal formation. Nat Neurosci 2: 260–265. , , , , .
- 1997. Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult tree shrew is regulated by psychosocial stress and NMDA receptor activation. J Neurosci 17: 2492–2498. , , , , .
- 1954. Contribution to the food biology of tits especially about storing of surplus food. Part I. The crested tit (Parus c. cristatus L.). K Norske Vidensk Selsk Skr 1953: 1–123. .
- 1996. Hippocampal lesions impair memory for location but not color in passerine birds. Behav Neurosci 110: 831–835. , .
- 1996. Hippocampal volume in migratory and non-migratory warblers: Effects of age and experience. Behav Brain Res 81: 61–68. , , .
- 2004. Suppressed proliferation and apoptotic changes in the rat dentate gyrus after acute and chronic stress are reversible. Eur J Neurosci 19: 131–144. , , , , .
- 2005. An examination of avian hippocampal neurogenesis in relationship to photoperiod. Neuroreport 16: 987–991. , , .
- 2007. Annual cycle of the black-capped chickadee: Seasonality of food-storing and the hippocampus. Brain Behav Evol 69: 161–168. , , , .
- 2004. Neuron production, neuron number, and structure size are seasonably stable in the hippocampus of the food-storing black-capped chickadee (Poecile atricapillus). Behav Neurosci 118: 345–355. , .
- Alzheimer's Dis Neuroimaging. 2008. 3D characterization of brain atrophy in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment using tensor-based morphometry. Neuroimage 41: 19–34. , , , , , , , et al.;
- 2008. Social isolation rearing-induced impairment of the hippocampal neurogenesis is associated with deficits in spatial memory and emotion-related behaviors in juvenile mice. J Neurochem 105: 921–932. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A meta-analysis of structural brain abnormalities in PTSD. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 30: 1004–1031. , , , , , .
- 1967. A Stereotaxic Atlas of the Brain of the Pigeon (Columba livia). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins. , .
- 2005. The effect of exercise on hippocampal integrity: Review of recent research. Int J Psychiatry Med 35: 75–89. , .
- 2005. Experience induces structural and biochemical changes in the adult primate brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 17478–17482. , , , , , , .
- 1978a. Efferent connections of the hippocampus and adjacent regions in the pigeon. Brain Behav Evol 15: 372–388. , .
- 1978b. Efferent connections of the septal area in the pigeon. Brain Behav Evol 15: 389–404. , .
- 1990. Food-storing birds: Adaptive specialization in brain and behaviour? Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 349: 55–64. .
- 1995. Effects of photoperiod on food-storing and the hippocampus in birds. Neuroreport 6: 1701–1704. , , , .
- 1991. The distribution of neurotransmitters and neurotransmitter-related enzymes in the dorsomedial telencephalon of the pigeon (Columbu livia). J Comp Neurol 314: 467–477. , , .
- 1966. Some complex forms of feeding behaviour of nut-cracker Nucijraga caryocatactes, after removal of old cortex. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol 11: 563–568. .
- 1938. The ontogenetic development and phylogenetic significance of the cortex telencephali in the chick. J Comp Neurol 69: 273–301. .
- 2003. Associative memory formation increases the observation of dendritic spines in the hippocampus. J Neurosci 23: 659–665. , , .
- 2004. Learning enhances the survival of new neurons beyond the time when the hippocampus is required for memory. J Neurosci 24: 7477–7481. , , , , , .
- 2006. Temporal discontiguity is neither necessary nor sufficient for learning-induced effects on adult neurogenesis. J Neurosci 26: 13437–13442. , , , .
- 2003. Photoperiodic regulation of food storing and hippocampus volume in black-capped chickadees. Poecile atricapillus. Anim Behav 65: 805–812. , , , , .
- 1995a. Stress-induced atrophy of apical dendrites of hippocampal CA3c neurons: Involvement of glucocorticoid secretion and excitatory amino acid receptors. Neuroscience 69: 89–98. , .
- 1995b. Stress-induced atrophy of apical dendrites of hippocampal CA3 neurons—Comparison of stressors. Neuroscience 69: 83–88. , .
- 1996. Chronic psychosocial stress causes apical dendritic atrophy of hippocampal CA3 pyramidal neurons in subordinate tree shrews. J Neurosci 16: 3534–3540. , , , .
- 2006. London taxi drivers and bus drivers: A structural MRI and neuropsychological analysis. Hippocampus 16: 1091–1101. , , .
- 2008. Hypobaric hypoxia induces dendritic plasticity in cortical and hippocampal pyramidal neurons in rat brain. Behav Brain Res 189: 233–243. , , , .
- 1998. Long-term potentiation of synaptic transmission in the avian hippocampus. J Neurosci 18: 1207–1216. , , .
- 2007. Ultrastructural plasticity associated with hippocampal-dependent learning: A meta-analysis. Neurobiol Learn Mem 87: 361–371. .
- 1999. Stress and hippocampal plasticity. Ann Rev Neurosci 22: 105–122. .
- 2000. Chronic social stress reduces dendritic arbors in CA3 of hippocampus and decreases binding to serotonin transporter sites. Synapse 36: 85–94. , , , , , .
- 2007. Functional implications of decreases in neurogenesis following chronic mild stress in mice. Neuroscience 150: 251–259. , , .
- 2006. Stress and adult neurogenesis. Hippocampus 16: 233–238. , .
- 1996. The dorsomedial and dorsolateral forebrain of the zebra fmch. Taeniopygia guttata: A Golgi study. Cell Tissue Res 283: 263–282. , , .
- 1996. Physical activity increases mRNA for brain-derived neurotrophic factor and nerve growth factor in rat brain. Brain Res 726: 49–56. , , , .
- 1942. Annual cycle of the black-capped chickadee. Auk 59: 499–531. .
- 2007. Ischemia-induced neuronal cell death and stress response. Antioxid Redox Signal 9: 573–587. , , .
- 1986. Individual differences in foraging and storing behaviour in Siberian Tit (Parus cinctus) Bodd. and Willow Tit (Parus montanus) Bald. Sov J Ecol 4: 60–64. .
- 2001. Effects of demanding foraging conditions on cache retrieval accuracy in food-caching mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 268: 363–368. , .
- 2002b. The effect of photoperiod on adrenocortical stress response in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). Gen Compar Endocrinol 126: 242–248. , , , , .
- 2001. Long-term unpredictable foraging conditions and physiological stress response in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). Gen Comp Endocrinol 123: 324–331. , , , .
- 2002a. Changes in spatial memory mediated by experimental variation in food supply do not affect hippocampal anatomy in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). J Neurobiol 51: 142–148. , , .
- 2005. Nutritional deficits during early development affect hippocampal structure and spatial memory later in life. Behav Neurosci 119: 1368–1374. , , .
- 2003. The relationship between dominance, corticosterone, memory, and food caching in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). Horm Behav 44: 93–102. , , .
- 2005a. Dominance related changes in spatial memory are associated with changes in hippocampal cell proliferation rates in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). J Neurobiol 62: 31–41. , .
- 2005b. Prolonged moderate elevation of corticosterone does not affect hippocampal anatomy or cell proliferation rates in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). J Neurobiol 62: 82–91. , .
- 2002. Neurogenesis in adult primate neocortex: An evaluation of the evidence. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 65–71. .
- 2001. Cadherin expression by embryonic divisions and derived gray matter structures in the telencephalon of the chicken. J Comp Neurol 438: 253–285. , , .
- 2006. Exercise-induced changes in dendritic structure and complexity in the adult hippocampal dentate gyrus. Neuroscience 137: 1299–1307. , .
- 2007. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes long-term potentiation-related cytoskeletal changes in adult hippocampus. J Neurosci 27: 3017–3029. , , , , , .
- 2004. Exercise increases hippocampal neurogenesis to high levels but does not improve spatial learning in mice bred for increased voluntary wheel running. Behav Neurosci 117: 1006–1016. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Rapid reversal of stress induced loss of synapses in CA3 of rat hippocampus following water maze training. Eur J Neurosci 17: 2447–2456. , , , , , .
- 2006. Social isolation selectively reduces brain-derived neurotrophic factor without altering plasma corticosterone. Behav Brain Res 168: 323–325. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Hippocampal size positively correlates with verbal IQ in male children. Hippocampus 17: 486–493. , , , , , .
- 2003. Untreated depression and hippocampal volume loss. Am J Psychiatry 160: 1516–1518. , , .
- 1989. Food storing in the Paridae. Wilson Bull 101: 289–304. .
- 1989. Hippocampus and memory for food caches in black-capped Chickadees. Behav Neurosci 103: 308–318. , .
- 1995. Memory in food-storing birds: From the field to the Skinner box. In: AllevaE,FasoloA,LippHP,NadelL, editors. Proceedings of NATO Advanced Study Institute Series. Maratea, Italy: Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Hague, pp 158–179. .
- 2003. Reversible inactivation of the hippocampal formation in food-storing black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapillus). Hippocampus 13: 437–444. , , , .
- 2000. Hippocampal theta rhythm in awake, freely moving homing pigeons. Hippocampus 10: 627–631. , , .
- 2007. Neurogenesis and the spacing effect: Learning over time enhances memory and the survival of new neurons. Learn Mem 14: 368–375. , , .
- 2007. Neurogenesis decreases with age in the canine hippocampus and correlates with cognitive function. Neurobiol Learn Memory 88: 249–259. , , , ,
- 2006. A multi-disciplinary approach to understanding hippocampal function in food-hoarding birds. Rev Neurosci 17: 53–69. .
- 2000a. Effects of captivity and testosterone on the volumes of four brain regions in the dark-eyed junco (Junco hyemalis). J Neurobiol 43: 244–253. , , , , .
- 1995. Seasonal variation in hippocampal volume in a food-storing bird, the black-capped chickadee. J Neurobiol 27: 15–25. , , .
- 2000b. Seasonal changes in neuron numbers in the hippocampal formation of a food-hoarding bird: The black-capped chickadee. J Neurobiol 44: 414–422. , , , .
- 2000. Reorganization of the morphology of hippocampal neurites and synapses after stress-induced damage correlates with behavioral improvement. Neuroscience 97: 253–266. , , , , .
- 2005. Stress suppresses and learning induces plasticity in CA3 of rat hippocampus: A three-dimensional ultrastructural study of thorny excrescences and their postsynaptic densities. Neuroscience 131: 43–54. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Social isolation delays the positive effects of running on adult neurogenesis. Nat Neurosci 9: 526–533. , , .
- 2007. Running induces widespread structural alterations in the hippocampus and entorhinal cortex. Hippocampus 17: 1017–1022. , , .
- 2006. Increased stress and smaller anterior hippocampal volume. Neuroreport 17: 1825–1828. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Exposure to fox odor inhibits cell proliferation in the hippocampus of adult rats via an adrenal hormone-dependent mechanism. J Comp Neurol 437: 496–504. , , , , .
- 2006. Synapse loss from chronically elevated glucocorticoids: Relationship to neuropil volume and cell number in hippocampal area CA3. J Comp Neurol 498: 363–374. , , .
- 2007. Acute psychosocial stress reduces cell survival in adult hippocampal neurogenesis without altering proliferation. J Neurosci 27: 2734–2743. , , .
- 2006. Acute exposure to predator odor elicits a robust increase in corticosterone and a decrease in activity without altering proliferation in the adult rat hippocampus. Exp Neurol 201: 308–315. , , .
- 1994. Neurotoxicity of glucocorticoids in the primate brain. Horm Behav 28: 336–348. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Relationship between hippocampal volume and memory ability in healthy individuals across the lifespan: Review and meta-analysis. Neuropsychologia 42: 1394–1413. .
- 1999. Running increases cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the adult mouse dentate gyrus. Nat Neurosci 2: 266–270. , , .
- 2005. Exercise enhances learning and hippocampal neurogenesis in aged mice. J Neurosci 25: 8680–8685. , , , .
- 1990. Food Hoarding in Animals. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2004. Hippocampal BDNF mediates the efficacy of exercise on synaptic plasticity and cognition. Eur J Neurosci 20: 2580–2590. , , .
- 2004. Hippocampal volume and depression: A meta-analysis of MRI studies. Am J Psychiatry 161: 1957–1966. , .
- 1990. Exposure to excess glucocorticoids alters dendritic morphology of adult hippocampal pyramidal neurons. Brain Res 531: 225–231. , , .
- 2007. Lack of exercise, via hindlimb suspension, impedes endogenous neurogenesis. Neuroscience 149: 182–191. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Memory in the aging brain: Doubly dissociating the contribution of the hippocampus and entorhinal cortex. Hippocampus 17: 1134–1140. , , , , , .