Elevated corticosterone levels in stomach milk, serum, and brain of male and female offspring after maternal corticosterone treatment in the rat
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 70, Issue 10, pages 714–725, 1 September 2010
How to Cite
Brummelte, S., Schmidt, K. L., Taves, M. D., Soma, K. K. and Galea, L. A.M. (2010), Elevated corticosterone levels in stomach milk, serum, and brain of male and female offspring after maternal corticosterone treatment in the rat. Devel Neurobio, 70: 714–725. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20805
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Received: 13 NOV 2009
- CIHR Operating
- NSERC Discovery
- 1983. Perinatal mother-offspring pituitary-adrenal interrelationship in rats: Corticosterone in milk may affect adult life. Endocrinol Exp 17: 191–205. , , , .
- 1985. A model for later-life effects of perinatal drug exposure: Maternal hormone mediation. Neurobehav Toxicol Teratol 7: 511–517. , , , , , .
- 2009. Maternal care determines rapid effects of stress mediators on synaptic plasticity in adult rat hippocampal dentate gyrus. Neurobiol Learn Mem 92: 292–300. , , , , , .
- 1997. Neurosteroids: Of the nervous system, by the nervous system, for the nervous system. Recent Prog Horm Res 52: 1–32. .
- 1990. Determination of nonconjugated and conjugated steroid levels in plasma and prostate after separation on C-18 columns. Ann N Y Acad Sci 595: 251–259. , , , .
- 1987. Cushing's syndrome in pregnancy: The timing of definitive treatment. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 27: 225–233. , , , .
- 2001. Glucocorticoids and lung development in the fetus and preterm infant. Pediatr Pulmonol 32: 76–91. , , , .
- 2010. Depression during pregnancy and postpartum: Contribution of stress and ovarian hormones. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 34: 766–776. , .
- 2006. High post-partum levels of corticosterone given to dams influence postnatal hippocampal cell proliferation and behavior of offspring: A model of post-partum stress and possible depression. Horm Behav 50: 370–382. , , .
- 1997. Effect of increased maternal corticosterone during lactation on hippocampal corticosteroid receptors, stress response and learning in offspring in the early stages of life. Neuroscience 79: 1005–1012. , , , , , .
- 2007. Maternal exposure to low levels of corticosterone during lactation protects the adult offspring against ischemic brain damage. J Neurosci 27: 7041–7046. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Maternal corticosterone influences behavior, stress response and corticosteroid receptors in the female rat. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73: 105–114. , , , , , , ,et al.
- 2000. Maternal corticosterone during lactation permanently affects brain corticosteroid receptors, stress response and behaviour in rat progeny. Neuroscience 100: 319–325. , , , , , .
- 1993. Progeny of mothers drinking corticosterone during lactation has lower stress-induced corticosterone secretion and better cognitive performance. Brain Res 624: 209–215. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Effect of adrenalectomy at different pregnancy stages on maternal and fetal serum corticosteroid binding globulin and corticosterone in the rat. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 122: 121–126. , , , , .
- 2008. Epigenetic programming of the stress response in male and female rats by prenatal restraint stress. Brain Res Rev 57: 571–585. , .
- 1976. Postnatal development of mouse plasma and brain corticosterone levels: New findings contingent upon the use of a competitive protein-binding assay. Endocrinology 98: 1434–1442. , , .
- 2004. Effects of diet and handling on initiation of independent ingestion in rats. Dev Psychobiol 45: 72–82. , .
- 2008. Corticosterone levels in the brain show a distinct ultradian rhythm but a delayed response to forced swim stress. Endocrinology 149: 3244–3253. , , , , , .
- 2009. The ultradian and circadian rhythms of free corticosterone in the brain are not affected by gender: An in vivo microdialysis study in Wistar rats. J Neuroendocrinol 21: 132–140. , , , , .
- 1999. Neurobiology of mother-infant interactions: Experience and central nervous system plasticity across development and generations. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 23: 673–685. , , .
- 2006. The effects of adrenalectomy and corticosterone replacement on maternal memory in postpartum rats. Horm Behav 49: 353–361. , , , .
- 1978. Plasma concentrations of total and free corticosterone during development in the rat. Am J Physiol 235: E451–E456. .
- 1981. Postnatal development: Coordination of feeding, digestion, and metabolism. Am J Physiol 241: G199–G214. .
- 1979. Delineation of the glucocorticoid-sensitive period of intestinal development in the rat. Endocrinology 104: 1158–1163. , .
- 2000. Attenuation of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis stress responses in late pregnancy: Changes in feedforward and feedback mechanisms. J Neuroendocrinol 12: 811–822. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Corticosterone increases depression-like behavior, with some effects on predator odor-induced defensive behavior, in male and female rats. Behav Neurosci 118: 1365–1377. , , , .
- 2000. Controversies in antenatal corticosteroid treatment. Can Fam Physician 46: 1571–1573. , .
- 2007. Overexposure to antenatal corticosteroids: A global concern. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 29: 879. , , , , .
- 2008. Effects of maternal prenatal stress on offspring development: A commentary. Arch Womens Ment Health 11: 363–375. , , .
- 1977. Neonatal corticosterone treatment increases submissiveness in adulthood in mice. Physiol Behav 19: 163–165. , .
- 2002. Regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in the neonatal rat: The role of maternal behavior. Neurotox Res 4: 557–564. .
- 2007. Effects of prenatal restraint stress on the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis and related behavioural and neurobiological alterations. Psychoneuroendocrinology 32 ( Suppl 1): S10–S15. , .
- 2004. Fetal glucocorticoid exposure and hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) function after birth. Endocr Res 30: 827–836. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of neonatal corticosterone treatment on maze performance and HPA axis in juvenile rats. Physiol Behav 74: 371–379. , , , , , .
- 1968. Selective retention of corticosterone by limbic structures in rat brain. Nature 220: 911–912. , , .
- 2001. Maternal care, gene expression, and the transmission of individual differences in stress reactivity across generations. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: 1161–1192. .
- 1985. The development of the glucocorticoid receptor system in the rat limbic brain. I. Ontogeny and autoregulation. Brain Res 350: 159–164. , , .
- 2001. Increased maternal corticosterone levels in rats: Effects on brain 5-HT1A receptors and behavioral coping with stress in adult offspring. Behav Neurosci 115: 1111–1117. , , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of prolactin deficiency during the early postnatal period on the development of maternal behavior in female rats: Mother's milk makes the difference. Horm Behav 56: 281–291. , , , , , .
- 1982. Influence of glucocorticoids on postnatal lung development in the rat: Possible modulation by thyroid hormone. Endocrinology 111: 1587–1594. , .
- 2008. Multiple courses of antenatal corticosteroids for preterm birth (MACS): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet 372: 2143–2151. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008a. Analysis of steroids in songbird plasma and brain by coupling solid phase extraction to radioimmunoassay. Gen Comp Endocrinol 155: 503–510. , , , , , .
- 2008b. Dehydroepiandrosterone and corticosterone are regulated by season and acute stress in a wild songbird: Jugular versus brachial plasma. Endocrinology 149: 2537–2545. , , .
- 2009. Corticosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone in songbird plasma and brain: Effects of season and acute stress. Eur J Neurosci 29: 1905–1914. , .
- 1972. Effect of neonatal corticosterone administration on behavioural and pituitary-adrenocortical responses in the rat. Acta Physiol Acad Sci Hung 42: 231–241. , .
- 2009. Prenatal stress and neurodevelopment of the child: Focus on the HPA axis and role of the placenta. Dev Neurosci 31: 285–292. , , .
- 2004. Glucocorticoid exposure in late gestation in the rat permanently programs gender-specific differences in adult cardiovascular and metabolic physiology. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287: E863–E870. , , , .
- 1976. Glucocorticoid binding to receptor-like proteins in rat brain and pituitary: Ontogenetic and experimentally induced changes. Brain Res 105: 121–128. , .
- 2000. Birth defects after maternal exposure to corticosteroids: Prospective cohort study and meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Teratology 62: 385–392. , , , , , , ,et al.
- 2009. Reproductive experience alters corticosterone and CBG levels in the rat dam. Physiol Behav 96: 108–114. , , , , .
- 1990. Management of Cushing's syndrome secondary to adrenal adenoma during pregnancy. Surgery 108: 1072–1077. , , , , , .
- 2004. The effects of adrenalectomy and corticosterone replacement on maternal behavior in the postpartum rat. Horm Behav 46: 411–419. , , , .
- 2004. Influence of stress during pregnancy on HPA activity and neonatal behavior. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1032: 228–230. , , , , , .
- 1986. Maturation of the adrenocortical stress response: Neuroendocrine control mechanisms and the stress hyporesponsive period. Brain Res 396: 64–76. , .
- 2008. Cortisol and corticosterone in the songbird immune and nervous systems: Local vs. systemic levels during development. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295: R103–R110. , .
- 1997. Glucocorticoids, feto-placental 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2, and the early life origins of adult disease. Steroids 62: 89–94. .
- 2004. Dehydroepiandrosterone metabolism by 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/Delta5-Delta4 isomerase in adult zebra finch brain: Sex difference and rapid effect of stress. Endocrinology 145: 1668–1677. , , , .
- 2009. Effects of intrauterine exposure to synthetic glucocorticoids on fetal, newborn, and infant hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function in humans: A systematic review. Endocr Rev 30: 753–789. , , .
- 2005. Comparative analysis of ACTH and corticosterone sampling methods in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289: E823–E828. , , , , , , ,et al.
- 2000. Quantification of neurosteroids in rat plasma and brain following swim stress and allopregnanolone administration using negative chemical ionization gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Anal Biochem 287: 153–166. , , , , .
- 2005. The potential influence of maternal stress hormones on development and mental health of the offspring. Brain Behav Immun 19: 296–308. .
- 1978. Transfer of milk prolactin to the plasma of neonatal rats by intestinal absorption. J Endocrinol 79: 191–199. , .
- 2007. Maternal glucocorticoid deficit affects hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal function and behavior of rat offspring. Horm Behav 51: 321–327. , .
- 2004. Postpartum maternal corticosterone decreases maternal and neonatal antibody levels and increases the susceptibility of newborn mice to herpes simplex virus-associated mortality. J Neuroimmunol 150: 48–58. , , .
- 2003. Sex-differences in adrenocortical responsiveness during development in rats. Steroids 68: 439–445. , , , , , .
- 1970. Passage of 14C-4-corticosterone from the rat mother to the foetus and neonate. Nature 226: 1058–1059. , , .
- 1997. Glucocorticoids induce corticosteroid-binding globulin biosynthesis by immature mouse liver and kidney. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 60: 163–169. , , .