Enteric neurons synthesize netrins and are essential for the development of the vagal sensory innervation of the fetal gut
Version of Record online: 11 APR 2011
Copyright © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 71, Issue 5, pages 362–373, May 2011
How to Cite
Ratcliffe, E. M., Fan, L., Mohammed, T. J., Anderson, M., Chalazonitis, A. and Gershon, M. D. (2011), Enteric neurons synthesize netrins and are essential for the development of the vagal sensory innervation of the fetal gut. Devel Neurobio, 71: 362–373. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20869
- Issue online: 11 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 11 APR 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 DEC 2010 09:29AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 1 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2010
- NIH. Grant Numbers: NS 15547, 12969
- CIHR Operating Grant, McMaster Children's Hospital (EMR), McMaster Child Health Research Institute
- 2006. Phenotypes of neural-crest-derived cells in vagal and sacral pathways. Cell Tissue Res 323: 11–25. , , .
- 2002. Expression of netrin-1 and netrin-1 receptor, DCC, in the rat olfactory nerve pathway during development and axonal regeneration. Neuroscience 109: 643–656. , , , , .
- 2007. Sensory transmission in the gastrointestinal tract. Neurogastroenterol Motil 19: 1–19. , , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophin-3 induces neural crest-derived cells from fetal rat gut to develop in vitro as neurons or glia. J Neurosci 14: 6571–6584. , , , , , .
- 1995. The axonal chemoattractant netrin-1 is also a chemorepellent for trochlear motor axons. Cell 81: 621–629. , .
- 2001. RET signaling is essential for migration,axonal growth and axon guidance of developing sympathetic neurons. Development 128: 3963–3974. , , , , , .
- 2000. Development of cranial parasympathetic ganglia requires sequential actions of GDNF and neurturin. Development 127: 4877–4889. , , , , .
- 1999. Growth-cone attraction to netrin-1 is converted to repulsion by laminin-1. Nature 401: 69–73. , , , , .
- 2003. Netrins and DCC in the guidance of migrating neural crest-derived cells in the developing bowel and pancreas. Dev Biol 258: 364–384. , , .
- 1996. Deleted in colorectal cancer (DCC) encodes a netrin receptor. Cell 87: 175–185. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Axon guidance by diffusible chemoattractants: A gradient of netrin protein in the developing spinal cord. J Neurosci 26: 8866–8874. , , , .
- 1921. The Autonomic Nervous System, Part 1. Cambridge: W. Heffer. .
- 2004. Enteric dopaminergic neurons: Definition, developmental lineage, and effects of extrinsic denervation. J Neurosci 24: 1330–1339. , , , , .
- 1998. Carbocyanine postmortem neuronal tracing. Influence of different parameters on tracing distance and combination with immunocytochemistry. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 901–910. , , , , , .
- 2003. The dependence receptors DCC and UNC5H as a link between neuronal guidance and survival. Biol Cell 95: 425–436. , .
- 1998. The role of the first postmitotic cortical cells in the development of thalamocortical innervation in the reeler mouse. J Neurosci 18: 5746–5765. , , , .
- 1995. How do thalamic axons find their way to the cortex? Trends Neurosci 18: 389–397. , .
- 1987. Origin and morphology of nerve fibers in the aganglionic colon of the lethal spotted (ls/ls) mutant mouse. J Comp Neurol 257: 237–252. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Accumulation of components of basal laminae: Association with the failure of neural crest cells to colonize the presumptive aganglionic bowel of ls/ls mutant mice. Dev Biol 125: 341–360. , , , , , .
- 2000. Tension and stretch receptors in gastrointestinal smooth muscle: re-evaluating vagal mechanoreceptor electrophysiology. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 34: 1–26. , .
- 2002. Musings on the wanderer: What's new in our understanding of vago-vagal refexes? I. Morphology and topography of vagal afferents innervating the GI tract. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 283: G1217–G1225. , .
- 2008. Ultrastructural evidence for communication between intramuscular vagal mechanoreceptors and interstitial cells of Cajal in the rat fundus. Neurogastroenterol Motil 20: 69–79. , , , , , .
- 2008. Laminin terminates the Netrin/DCC mediated attraction of vagal sensory axons. Dev Neurobiol 68: 960–971. , , .
- 2006. Netrin/DCC-mediated attraction of vagal sensory axons to the fetal mouse gut. J Comp Neurol 498: 567–580. , , , , , .
- 1996. Increased expression of laminin-1 and collagen (IV) subunits in the aganglionic bowel of ls/ls, but not c-ret −/− mice. Dev Biol 178: 498–513. , , , , , .
- 1982. Phenotypic expression in the developing murine enteric nervous system. J Neurosci 2: 381–393. , .
- 1994. Defects in the kidney and enteric nervous system of mice lacking the tyrosine kinase receptor Ret. Nature 367: 380–383. , , , , .
- 1996. Netrin-1 is required for commissural axon guidance in the developing vertebrate nervous system. Cell 87: 1001–1014. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Identification of functional intramuscular rectal mechanoreceptors in aganglionic rectal smooth muscle from piebald lethal mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294: G855–867. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Targeted ablation and reorganization of the principal preplate neurons and their neuroblasts identified by golli promoter transgene expression in the neocortex of mice. ASN Neuro 1: 227–250. , , .
- 2004. Guidance cues involved in the development of the peripheral autonomic nervous system. Auto Neurosci 112: 1–14. , , .
- 2001. Intraganglionic laminar endings are mechano-transduction sites of vagal tension receptors in the guinea-pig stomach. JPhysiol 534: 255–268. , , .