The pubertal-related decline in cellular proliferation and neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of male rats is independent of the pubertal rise in gonadal hormones
Article first published online: 9 APR 2012
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 72, Issue 5, pages 743–752, May 2012
How to Cite
Ho, A., Villacis, A. J., Svirsky, S. E., Foilb, A. R. and Romeo, R. D. (2012), The pubertal-related decline in cellular proliferation and neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of male rats is independent of the pubertal rise in gonadal hormones. Devel Neurobio, 72: 743–752. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20987
- Issue published online: 9 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 9 APR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 OCT 2011 08:56AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 30 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2011
- Undergraduate Science Education Program of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (Barnard College)
- 2008. Pubertal hormones modulate the addition of new cells to sexually dimorphic brain regions. Nat Neurosci 11: 995–997. , , , , , .
- 2002. Pubertal changes in gonadal hormones do not underlie adolescent dopamine receptor overproduction. Psychoneuroendocrinology 27: 683–691. , , , .
- 2008. Repeated estradiol administration alters different aspects of neurogenesis and cell death in the hippocampus of female, but not male, rats. Neuroscience 152: 888–902. , .
- 2010. Testosterone decrease does not play a major role in the suppression of hippocampal cell proliferation following social defeat stress in rats. Physiol Behav 101: 719–725. , , , .
- 2010. Adolescence: What do transmission, transition, and translation have to do with it? Neuron 67: 749–760. , , .
- 2010. Synaptic reorganization of the medial amygdala during puberty. J Neuroendocrinol 23: 65–73. .
- 2007. Pubertal growth of the medial amygdala delayed by short photoperoids in the Siberian hamster,Phodopus sungorus. Horm Behav 52: 283–288. , , .
- 2000. Normal brain development and aging: Quantitative analysis at in vivo MR imaging in healthy volunteers. Neuroradiology 216: 672–682. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Age-dependent deline in hippocampal neurogenesis is not altered by chronic treatment with fluoxetine. Brain Res 1228: 14–19. , , , .
- 2007. Adolescent cortical development: A critical period of vulnerability for addiction. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 86: 189–199. , , .
- 2001. Sex differences in brain maturation during childhood and adolescence. Cereb Cortex 11: 552–557. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Spatiotemporal expression of androgen receptors in the female rat brain during the oestrus cycle and the impact of exogenous androgen administration: A comparison with gonadally intact males. Mol Cell Endocrinol 321: 161–174. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Gonadal hormone modulation of neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of adult male and female rodents. Brain Res Rev 57: 332–341. .
- 2006. Gonadal hormone modulation of hippocampal neurogenesis in the adult. Hippocampus 16: 225–232. , , , .
- 2004. Structural magnetic resonance imaging of the adolescent brain. Ann NY Acad Sci 1021: 77–85. .
- 1999. Brain development during childhood and adolescence: A longitudinal MRI study. Nat Neurosci 2: 861–863. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Sexual dimorphism of the developing human brain. Prog Neuro Psychopharmacol Biol Psychiat 21: 1185–1201. , , , , .
- 2009. Anatomical brain magnetic resonance imaging of typically developing children and adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychiat 48: 465–470. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Structural MRI of pediatric brain development: What have we learned and where are we going? Neuron 67: 728–734. , .
- 1996. Quantitative MRI of the temporal lobe, amygdala, and hippocampus in normal human development: Ages 4-18 years. J Comp Neurol 366: 223–230. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Dynamic mapping of human cortical development during childhood through early adulthood. Proc Natl Acad Sci 101: 8174–8179. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Sex steroids and the dentate gyrus. Prog Brain Res 163: 399–415. , , .
- 2007. Neurogenesis decreases during brain maturation from adolescence to adulthood. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 86: 327–333. , .
- 2004. Prominent decline of newborn cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis in the aging dentate gyrus, in absence of an age-related hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activation. Neurobiol Aging 25: 361–375. , , , .
- 2009. Prozac during puberty: Distinctive effects on neurogenesis as a function of age and sex. Neuroscience 163: 609–617. , , , , .
- 2004. Delayed effects of chronic variable stress during peripubertal-juvenile period on hippocampal morphology and on cognitive and stress axis functions in rats. Hippocampus 14: 636–648. , , , .
- 1991. Maturation of human cerebrum observed in vivo during adolescence. Brain 114: 2037–2049. , , , .
- 2004. The cellular basis for volume changes in the rat cortex during puberty: White and gray matter. Ann NY Acad Sci 1021: 431–435. , .
- 2004. Age-dependence of the effect of treadmill exercise on cell proliferation in the dentate gyrus of rats. Neurosci Lett 355: 152–154. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Maturational trajectories of cortical brain development through the pubertal transition: Unique species and sex differences in the monkey revealed through structural magnetic resonance imaging. Cereb Cortex 20: 1053–1063. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The differential regulation of BDNF and TrkB levels in juvenile rats after four days of escitalipram and desipramine treatment. Neuropharmacology 54: 251–257. , , .
- 2011. Longitudinal development of human brain wiring continues from childhood into adulthood. J Neurosci 31: 10937–10947. , .
- 2009. Thymidine analog methods for studies of adult neurogensis are not equally sensitive. J Comp Neurol 517: 123–133. , , .
- 2009. In-vitro effects of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on neural progenitor/stem cells from rat hippocampus. Neuroreport 20: 295–300. , , , .
- 2007. Neuron number decreases in the rat ventral, but not dorsal, medial prefrontal cortex between adolescence and adulthood. Neuroscience 144: 961–968. , , .
- 2005. Dynamics of neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of adult rats. Neurosci Lett 385: 70–75. , .
- 2002. Ovarian hormones after postnatal day 20 reduce neuron number in the rat primary visual cortex. J Neurobiol 52: 312–321. , , .
- 2005. The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates. New York: Elsevier Academic Press. , .
- 2008. Growth of white matter in the adolescent brain: role of testosterone and androgen receptor. J Neurosci 28: 9519–9524. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. A quantative magnetic resonance imaging study of changes in brain morphologyfrom infancy to late adulthood. Arch Neurol 51: 874–887. , , , , , .
- 2004. Efficacy of doublecortin as a marker to analyse the absolute number of dendritic growth of newly generated neurons in the adult dentate gyrus. Eur J Neurosci 19: 234–246. , .
- 2010. Longitudinally mapping the influence of sex and androgen signaling of the dynamics of human cortical maturation in adolescence. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 16988–16993. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Growth at puberty. J Adol Health 31: 192–200. , , .
- 2000. Effects of gonadal steroids during pubertal development on androgen and estrogen receptor-a immunoreactivity in the hypothalamus and amygdala. J Neurobiol 44: 361–368. , , .
- 2001. Pubertal and seasonal plasticity in the amygdala. Brain Res 889: 71–77. , .
- 2011. Neurogenesis and affective disorders. Eur J Neurosci 33: 1152–1159. , .
- 2003. Requirement of hippocampal neurogenesis for the behavioral effects of antidepressants. Science 301: 805–809. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Increased neurogenesis and the ectopic granule cells after intrahippocampal BDNF infusion in adult rats. Exp Neurol 192: 348–356. , , , , , .
- 0000 Use it or lose it: How neurogenesis keeps the brain fit for learning. Behav Brain Res, in press. , , , .
- 2001. Neurogenesis in the adult is involved in the formation of trace memories. Nature 410: 372–376. , , , , , .
- 1989. Physiology of puberty. J Endocrinol Invest 12: 59–63. .
- 2007. Mapping adolescent brain maturation using structural magnetic resonance imaging. In: Romer D,Walker EF, editors. Adolescent Psychopathology and the Developing Brain. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp 55–84. , , .
- 2010. The Behavioral Neuroscience of Adolescence. New York: Norton. .
- 2007. Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone, but not eastradiol, enhance survival of new hippocampal neurons in adult male rats. Dev Neurobiol 67: 1321–1333. , .
- 2005. Male-specific volume expansion of the human hippocampus during adolescence. Cereb Cortex 15: 187–193. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Ultrastructural evidence that androgen receptors are located at extra nuclear sites in the rat hippocampal formation. Neuroscience 130: 151–163. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Ovarian steroids influence cell proliferation in the dentate gyrus of the adult female rat in a dose- and time-dependent manner. J Comp Neurol 481: 252–265. , , .
- 1999. Estrogen stimulates a transient increase in the number of new neurons in the dentate gyrus of the adult female rat. J Neurosci 15: 5792–5801. , , , .
- 2008. Age-dependent effects of chronic stress on brain plasticity and depressive behavior. J Neurochem 107: 522–532. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Immunohistological markers for staging neurogenesis in adulth hippocampus. Cell Tissue Res 329: 409–420. .