Members of the BMP, Shh, and FGF morphogen families promote chicken statoacoustic ganglion neurite outgrowth and neuron survival in vitro
Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 72, Issue 9, pages 1213–1228, September 2012
How to Cite
Fantetti, K. N. and Fekete, D. M. (2012), Members of the BMP, Shh, and FGF morphogen families promote chicken statoacoustic ganglion neurite outgrowth and neuron survival in vitro. Devel Neurobio, 72: 1213–1228. doi: 10.1002/dneu.20988
- Issue online: 6 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 OCT 2011 09:08AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 4 APR 2011
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: RO1DC002756
- Purdue Research Foundation
- 2004. FGF signaling is required for determination of otic neuroblasts in the chick embryo. Dev Biol 267: 119–134. , , , , , .
- Connecting the ear to the brain: Molecular mechanisms of auditory circuit assembly. Prog Neurobiol 93: 488–508. , .
- 1999. BMPs as mediators of roof plate repulsion of commissural neurons. Neuron 24: 127–141. , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of the neurotrophins and CNTF on developing statoacoustic neurons: Comparison with an otocyst-derived factor. Dev Biol 159: 353–365. , .
- 2002. EphB receptors influence growth of ephrin-B1-positive statoacoustic nerve fibers. Eur J Neurosci 16: 1499–1506. , .
- 2007. The role of bone morphogenetic protein 4 in inner ear development and function. Hear Res 225: 71–79. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Role of the hindbrain in dorsoventral but not anteroposterior axial specification of the inner ear. Development 132: 2115–2124. , , .
- 2009. Effects of neurotrophic factors on growth and glial cell alignment of cultured adult spiral ganglion cells. Audiol Neurootol 15: 175–186. , , , , , .
- 1999. The specification of neuronal identity by graded Sonic hedgehog signalling. Semin Cell Dev Biol 10: 353–362. , .
- 2011. Otic ablation of smoothened reveals direct and indirect requirements for hedgehog signaling in inner ear development. Development 138. doi:10.1242/dev.066126. , .
- 2003. Insulin-like growth factor 1 is required for survival of transit-amplifying neuroblasts and differentiation of otic neurons. Dev Biol 262: 242–253. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Roles of fibroblast growth factor 2 during innervation of the avian inner ear. J Neurochem 77: 786–795. , , , .
- 2004. The development of semicircular canals in the inner ear: Role of FGFs in sensory cristae. Development 131: 4201–4211. , , , .
- 2003. The morphogen sonic hedgehog is an axonal chemoattractant that collaborates with netrin-1 in midline axon guidance. Cell 113: 11–23. , , , , .
- 2005. Novel brain wiring functions for classical morphogens: A role as graded positional cues in axon guidance. Development 132: 2251–2262. , .
- 2002. Inhibition of hedgehog signaling by direct binding of cyclopamine to smoothened. Genes Dev 16: 2743–2748. , , , .
- 1996. Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene function. Nature 383: 407–413. , , , , , , .
- 1982. Temporal patterns of neurogenesis in avian cranial sensory and autonomic ganglia. Am J Anat 163: 351–372. .
- 2008. Hedgehog signaling regulates sensory cell formation and auditory function in mice and humans. J Neurosci 28: 7350–7358. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Wnts and Wnt inhibitors do not influence axon outgrowth from chicken statoacoustic ganglion neurons. Hear Res 278: 86–95. , , .
- 2011. Dissection and culture of chick statoacoustic ganglion and spinal cord explants in collagen gels for neurite outgrowth assays. J Vis Exp 58. and .
- 2003. Transforming growth factor-beta(s) are essential for the development of midbrain dopaminergic neurons in vitro and in vivo. J Neurosci 23: 5178–5186. , , , , .
- 2007. Axon guidance in the inner ear. Int J Dev Biol 51: 549–556. , .
- 2002. Small-molecule modulators of hedgehog signaling: Identification and characterization of smoothened agonists and antagonists. J Biol 1: 10. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Development of inner ear afferent connections: Forming primary neurons and connecting them to the developing sensory epithelia. Brain Res Bull 60: 423–433. .
- 2005. Mutant mice reveal the molecular and cellular basis for specific sensory connections to inner ear epithelia and primary nuclei of the brain. Hear Res 206: 52–63. , , , , , .
- 1992. Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. J Cell Biol 119: 493–501. , , .
- 2001. Msx-2 and p21 mediate the pro-apoptotic but not the anti-proliferative effects of BMP4 on cultured sympathetic neuroblasts. Dev Biol 237: 212–221. , .
- 2012. Shaping sound in space: the regulation of inner ear patterning. Development 139: 245–257. and .
- 2003. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell 5: 45–57. , , , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–91. , .
- 2001. Multiple distinct signal pathways, including an autocrine neurotrophic mechanism, contribute to the survival-promoting effect of depolarization on spiral ganglion neurons in vitro. J Neurosci 21: 2256–2267. , , , .
- 2007. Loss of Fgfr3 leads to excess hair cell development in the mouse organ of Corti. Dev Dyn 236: 525–533. , , .
- 2002. Sequential interactions of fibroblast growth factor-2, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, neurotrophin-3, and their receptors define critical periods in the development of cochlear ganglion cells. Exp Neurol 175: 138–151. , , .
- 2008. Interactive roles of fibroblast growth factor 2 and neurotrophin 3 in the sequence of migration, process outgrowth, and axonal differentiation of mouse cochlear ganglion cells. J Neurosci Res 86: 2376–2391. , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factors (FGF-1, FGF-2) promote migration and neurite growth of mouse cochlear ganglion cells in vitro: Immunohistochemistry and antibody perturbation. Journal of Neuroscience Research 62: 40–55. , .
- 1996. Basic fibroblast growth factor affects neuronal migration and differentiation in normotypic cell cultures from the cochleovestibular ganglion of the chick embryo. Exp Neurol 138: 121–143. , , , , .
- 1998. Direct binding of follistatin to a complex of bone-morphogenetic protein and its receptor inhibits ventral and epidermal cell fates in early Xenopus embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 9337–9342. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The teratogenic Veratrum alkaloid cyclopamine inhibits sonic hedgehog signal transduction. Development 125: 3553–3562. , , , .
- 2007. Fgf8 induces pillar cell fate and regulates cellular patterning in the mammalian cochlea. Development 134: 3021–3029. , , , , .
- 2010. Neurod1 suppresses hair cell differentiation in ear ganglia and regulates hair cell subtype development in the cochlea. PLoS One 5: e11661. , , , .
- 2011. Influence of central glia on spiral ganglion neuron neurite growth. Neuroscience 177: 321–334. , , , .
- 2000. Neuronal specification in the spinal cord: Inductive signals and transcriptional codes. Nat Rev Genet 1: 20–29. .
- 2000. Control of Shh activity and signaling in the neural tube. Dev Dyn 219: 143–154. , .
- 2010. Olfactory ensheathing cells promote the survival of newborn rat spiral ganglion cells in vitro. Sheng Li Xue Bao 62: 115–121. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Dynamic expression pattern of Sonic hedgehog in developing cochlear spiral ganglion neurons. Dev Dyn 239: 1674–1683. , , , .
- 1997. Structures of the tyrosine kinase domain of fibroblast growth factor receptor in complex with inhibitors. Science 276: 955–960. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Developmentof the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci 18: 3327–3335. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in the developing vestibular and auditory sensory organs. J Neurosci 16: 6463–6475. , , .
- 2010. BMP signaling is necessary for patterning the sensory and nonsensory regions of the developing mammalian cochlea. J Neurosci 30: 15044–15051. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression and function of FGF10 in mammalian inner ear development. Dev Dyn 227: 203–215. , , , , , .
- 2010. The bone morphogenetic protein roof plate chemorepellent regulates the rate of commissural axonal growth. J Neurosci 30: 15430–15440. , , , , .
- 2000. FGF/FGFR-2(IIIb) signaling is essential for inner ear morphogenesis. J Neurosci 20: 6125–6134. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron 35: 671–680. , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev 16: 2365–2378. , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt-dependent regulation of inner ear morphogenesis is balanced by the opposing and supporting roles of Shh. Genes Dev 19: 1612–1623. , , .
- 2007. Fgf19 expression patterns in the developing chick inner ear. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 30–38. , , , .
- 2004. Otx2, Gbx2, and Fgf8 expression patterns in the chick developing inner ear and their possible roles in otic specification and early innervation. Gene Expr Patterns 4: 659–669. , , .
- 2009. Emerging mechanisms in morphogen-mediated axon guidance. BioEssays 31: 1013–1025. , .
- 2010. Hedgehog signaling governs the development of otic sensory epithelium and its associated innervation in zebrafish. J Neurosci 30: 3612–3623. , .
- 2004. NT-3 replacement with brain-derived neurotrophic factor redirects vestibular nerve fibers to the cochlea. J Neurosci 24: 2575–2584. , , .
- 2006. Axon guidance cues in auditory development. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288: 390–396. , .
- 2007. Culture conditions determine the prevalence of bipolar and monopolar neurons in cultures of dissociated spiral ganglion. Neuroscience 146: 833–840. , , , , .
- 2009. Spontaneous association of glial cells with regrowing neurites in mixed cultures of dissociated spiral ganglia. Neuroscience 161: 227–235. , , , , .
- 2003. FGF signaling in ear development and innervation. Curr Top Dev Biol 57: 225–259. , .
- 1996. Sensory organ generation in the chick inner ear. J Neurosci 16: 6454–6462. , .
- 2011. The molecular basis of making spiral ganglion neurons and connecting them to hair cells of the organ of Corti. Hear Res 278: 21–33. , , , , .
- 1996. The Spemann organizer signal noggin binds and inactivates bone morphogenetic protein 4. Cell 86: 599–606. , , .
- 2007. Morphogens as conserved axon guidance cues. Curr Opin Neurobiol 17: 22–28. , .