Michael W. Marlatt and Michelle C. Potter contributed equally to this work.
Running throughout middle-age improves memory function, hippocampal neurogenesis, and BDNF levels in female C57BL/6J mice
Article first published online: 14 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue in Honor of Ira Black's Contributions to Neuroscience
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages 943–952, June 2012
How to Cite
Marlatt, M. W., Potter, M. C., Lucassen, P. J. and van Praag, H. (2012), Running throughout middle-age improves memory function, hippocampal neurogenesis, and BDNF levels in female C57BL/6J mice. Devel Neurobio, 72: 943–952. doi: 10.1002/dneu.22009
- Issue published online: 14 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 14 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 JAN 2012 07:12AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2011
- Intramural Research Program
- National Institute on Aging, NIH
- EU (NEURAD)
- 2005. The exercise-induced expression of BDNF within the hippocampus varies across life-span. Neurobiol Aging 26: 511–520. , , .
- 2011. Short bouts of mild-intensity physical exercise improve spatial learning and memory in aging rats: Involvement of hippocampal plasticity via AKT, CREB and BDNF signaling. Mech Ageing Dev 132: 560–567. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Resolving new memories: A critical look at the dentate gyrus, adult neurogenesis, and pattern separation. Neuron 70: 589–596. , , .
- 2006. Mild forced treadmill exercise enhances spatial learning in the aged rat. Behav Brain Res 168: 345–348. , , , .
- 1965 Autoradiographic and histology evidence of postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis in rats. JComp Neurol 124: 319–335. , .
- 2011. Little exercise, big effects: Reversing aging and infection-induced memory deficits, and underlying processes. J Neurosci 31: 11578–11586. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Trophic regulation of synaptic plasticity. J Neurobiol 41: 108–118. .
- 1990. Learning causes synaptogenesis, whereas motor activity causes angiogenesis, in cerebellar cortex of adult rats. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 5568–5572. , , , , .
- 2003. Transient expression of doublecortin during adult neurogenesis. J Comp Neurol 467: 1–10. , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulation of hippocampal progenitor cell survival, proliferation and dendritic development by BDNF. Mol Neurodegener 4: 52. , , , .
- 2002. Exercise: A behavioral intervention to enhance brain health and plasticity. Trends Neurosci 25: 295–301. , .
- 2003. The aging hippocampus: Cognitive, biochemical and structural findings. Cereb Cortex 13: 1344–1351. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The neurobiology of memory changes in normal aging. Exp Gerontol 38: 61–69. , .
- 2011. Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 3017–3022. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. VEGF is necessary for exercise-induced adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Eur J Neurosci 18: 2803–2812. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Effects of voluntary exercise on synaptic plasticity and gene expression in the dentate gyrus of adult male Sprague-Dawley rats in vivo. Neuroscience 124: 71–79. , , , , , .
- 2000. Reference memory, anxiety and estrous cyclicity in C57BL/6NIA mice are affected by age and sex. Neuroscience 95: 293–307. , , , .
- 1992. Age-related loss of axospinous synapses formed by two afferent systems in the rat dentate gyrus as revealed by the unbiased stereological dissector technique. Hippocampus 2: 437–444. , , , , .
- 1996. Facilitation of glutamate receptors reverses an age-associated memory impairment in rats. Synapse 22: 332–337. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Prominent decline of newborn cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis in the aging dentate gyrus, in absence of an age-related hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis activation. Neurobiol Aging 25: 361–375. , , , .
- 2011. Decline in adult neurogenesis during aging follows a topographic pattern in the mouse hippocampus. J Comp Neurol 519: 451–466. .
- 2003. Early determination and long-term persistence of adult-generated new neurons in the hippocampus of mice. Development 130: 391–399. , , , , .
- 2011. Endurance factors improve hippocampal neurogenesis and spatial memory in mice. Learn Mem 18: 103–107. , , .
- Wheel running attenuates microglia proliferation and increases expression of a proneurogenic phenotype in the hippocampus of aged mice. Brain Behav Immunol (in press). 0000 , , , , .
- 2006. Physical exercise prevents age-related decline in precursor cell activity in the mouse dentate gyrus. Neurobiol Aging 27: 1505–1513. , , , , , .
- 1996. Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat: Age-related decrease of neuronal progenitor proliferation. J Neurosci 16: 2027–2033. , , .
- 2008. TrkB regulates hippocampal neurogenesis and governs sensitivity to antidepressive treatment. Neuron 59: 399–412. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Regulation of adult neurogenesis by stress, sleep disruption, exercise and inflammation: Implications for depression and antidepressant action. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 20: 1–17. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Synaptic plasticity in early aging. Ageing Res Rev 5: 255–280. , , .
- 1997. Influence of dietary restriction on ionotropic glutamate receptors during aging in C57B1 mice. Mech Ageing Dev 95: 187–202. .
- 1999. Sex dimorphisms in the rate of age-related decline in spatial memory: Relevance to alterations in the estrous cycle. J Neurosci 19: 8122–8133. .
- 2006. Ageing and neuronal vulnerability. Nat Rev Neurosci 7: 278–294. , .
- 1982. Place navigation impaired in rats with hippocampal lesions. Nature 297: 681–683. , , , .
- 1995. Exercise and brain neurotrophins. Nature 373: 109. , , , .
- 1982. A longitudinal study of estrous cyclicity in aging C57BL/6J mice: I. Cycle frequency, length and vaginal cytology. Biol Reprod 27: 327–339. , , , , .
- 2007. Decreased neurogenesis in aged rats results from loss of granule cell precursors without lengthening of the cell cycle. J Comp Neurol 501: 659–667. , , .
- 2010. Severe early life stress hampers spatial learning and neurogenesis, but improves hippocampal synaptic plasticity and emotional learning under high-stress conditions in adulthood. J Neurosci 30: 6635–6645. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Models of visuospatial and verbal memory across the adult life span. Psychol Aging 17: 299–320. , , , , , .
- 2006. Variability of doublecortin-associated dendrite maturation in adult hippocampal neurogenesis is independent of the regulation of precursor cell proliferation. BMC Neurosci 7: 77. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Integration of new neurons into functional neural networks. J Neurosci 26: 12237–12241. , , , , .
- 2006. Restoration of long-term potentiation in middle-aged hippocampus after induction of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neurophysiol 96: 677–685. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Voluntary exercise in C57 mice is anxiolytic across several measures of anxiety. Behav Brain Res 197: 31–40. , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of physical exercise on anxiety, depression, and sensitivity to stress: A unifying theory. Clin Psychol Rev 21: 33–61. .
- 2006. NT-3 facilitates hippocampal plasticity and learning and memory by regulating neurogenesis. Learn Mem 13: 307–315. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Age-related changes in brain-derived neurotrophic factor and tyrosine kinase receptor isoforms in the hippocampus and hypothalamus in male rats. Neuroscience 132: 613–624. , , , .
- 1997. Decreases in cerebral microvasculature with age are associated with the decline in growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1. Endocrinology 138: 3515–3520. , , , .
- 1999. Estrogen stimulates a transient increase in the number of new neurons in the dentate gyrus of the adult female rat. JNeurosci 19: 5792–5801. , , , .
- 2010. Attenuation of age-related changes in mouse neuromuscular synapses by caloric restriction and exercise. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 14863–14868. , , , , , ,
- 1999. Running enhances neurogenesis, learning, and long-term potentiation in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 13427–13431. , , , .
- 2005. Exercise enhances learning and hippocampal neurogenesis in aged mice. J Neurosci 25: 8680–8685. , , , .
- 2004. Hippocampal BDNF mediates the efficacy of exercise on synaptic plasticity and cognition. Eur J Neurosci 20: 2580–2590. , , .
- 2011. The ageing systemic milieu negatively regulates neurogenesis and cognitive function. Nature 477: 90–94. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Mechanisms and functional implications of adult neurogenesis. Cell 132: 645–660. , , .