These authors have contributed equally to this work.
Distinct roles of Drosophila cacophony and Dmca1D Ca2+ channels in synaptic homeostasis: Genetic interactions with slowpoke Ca2+-activated BK channels in presynaptic excitability and postsynaptic response
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages 1–15, January 2014
How to Cite
Lee, J., Ueda, A. and Wu, C.-F. (2014), Distinct roles of Drosophila cacophony and Dmca1D Ca2+ channels in synaptic homeostasis: Genetic interactions with slowpoke Ca2+-activated BK channels in presynaptic excitability and postsynaptic response. Devel Neurobio, 74: 1–15. doi: 10.1002/dneu.22120
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 AUG 2013 11:45AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAR 2013
- NIH. Grant Number: GM 088804
- 2009. Postsynaptic regulation of synaptic plasticity by synaptotagmin 4 requires both C2 domains. J Cell Biol 187:295–310. , , , .
- 2000. Structure and regulation of voltage-gated Ca2+ channels. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 16:521–555. .
- 1999. Glutamate receptor expression regulates quantal size and quantal content at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci 19:3023–3032. , , , .
- 2009. The schizophrenia susceptibility gene dysbindin controls synaptic homeostasis. Science 326:1127–1130. ,
- 2008. Mutations in a Drosophila α2δ voltage-gated calcium channel subunit reveal a crucial synaptic function. J Neurosci 28:31–38. , , .
- 1998. Genetic and developmental characterization of Dmca1D, a calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 148:1159–1169. , , , , , .
- 1986. A Drosophila mutation that eliminates a calcium-dependent potassium current. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83:8415–8419. , , .
- 2000. Nomenclature of voltage-gated calcium channels. Neuron 25:533–535. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. A modified minimal hemolymph-like solution, HL3.1, for physiological recordings at the neuromuscular junctions of normal and mutant Drosophila larvae. J Neurogenet 18:377–402. , , .
- 2006. Mechanisms underlying the rapid induction and sustained expression of synaptic homeostasis. Neuron 52:663–677. , , , , .
- 2009. A presynaptic homeostatic signaling system composed of the Eph receptor, ephexin, Cdc42, and CaV2.1 calcium channels. Neuron 61:556–569. , , .
- 1982. Drosophila mutants with opposing effects on nerve excitability: Genetic and spatial interactions in repetitive firing. J Neurophysiol 47, 501–514. , .
- 1983. Neurogenetic analysis of potassium currents in Drosophila: Synergistic effects on neuromuscular transmission in double mutants. J Neurogenet 1:17–28. , .
- 1995. Resolution and pharmacological analysis of the voltage-dependent calcium channels of Drosophila larval muscles. J Neurosci 15:6085–6093. , , .
- 1989. Native and detergent-solubilized membrane extracts from Drosophila heads contain binding sites for the phenylalkylamine calcium channel blockers. Insect Biochem 19:309–322. , , , , , .
- 2001. Ion Channels of Excitable Membranes. Sunderland: Sinauer. .
- 2012a. Spontaneous transmitter release is critical for the induction of long-term and intermediate-term facilitation in Aplysia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109:9131–9136. , , , , , .
- 2012b. Spontaneous transmitter release recruits postsynaptic mechanisms of long-term and intermediate-term facilitation in Aplysia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109:9137–9142. , , , , , .
- 1969a. Tetrodotoxin-resistant electric activity in presynaptic terminals. J Physiol 203:459–487. , .
- 1969b. Spontaneous and evoked activity of motor nerve endings in calcium ringer. J Physiol 203:689–706. , .
- 2002. Synaptic calcium-channel function in Drosophila: Analysis and transformation rescue of temperature-sensitive paralytic and lethal mutations of cacophony. J Neurosci 22:5856–5864. , , .
- 2000. A temperature-sensitive paralytic mutant defines a primary synaptic calcium channel in Drosophila. J Neurosci 20:4885–4889. , , .
- 2010. Two types of Ca2+ channel linked to two endocytic pathways coordinately maintain synaptic transmission at the Drosophila synapse. Eur J Neurosci 32:335–346. , , .
- 2008. Pre- and post-synaptic mechanisms of synaptic strength homeostasis revealed by Slowpoke and Shaker K+ channel mutations in Drosophila. Neuroscience 154:1283–1296. , , .
- 2010. Orchestration of stepwise synaptic growth by K+ and Ca2+ channels in Drosophila. J Neurosci 30:15821–15833. , .
- 1989. Spider toxins selectively block calcium currents in Drosophila. Neuron 3:767–772. , , , , .
- 1991. Characterization of single calcium channels in Drosophila embryonic nerve and muscle cells. J Neurosci 11:3047–3059. , .
- 2000. Ion channels and synaptic organization: Analysis of the Drosophila genome. Neuron 26:35–43. , .
- 2008. Straightjacket is required for the synaptic stabilization of cacophony, a voltage-gated calcium channel α1 subunit. J Cell Biol 181:157–170. , , , , .
- 2006. The Drosophila cacts2 mutation reduces presynaptic Ca2+ entry and defines an important element in Ca(v)2.1 channel inactivation. Eur J Neurosci 23:3230–3244. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Memory from the dynamics of intrinsic membrane currents. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:13481–13486. , , , , .
- 1955. A further study of the statistical composition on the end-plate potential. J Physiol 130:114–122. .
- 2012. Rab3-GAP Controls the progression of synaptic homeostasis at a late stage of vesicle release. Neuron 69:749–762. , , , .
- 1987. Identification and affinity labeling of very high affinity binding sites for the phenylalkylamine series of Ca+ channel blockers in the Drosophila nervous system. Biochemistry 26:6311–6315. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Homeostatic control of presynaptic release is triggered by postsynaptic membrane depolarization. Neuron 30:737–749. , , .
- 1989. Diversity and novel pharmacological properties of Ca2+ channels in Drosophila brain membranes. Embo J 8:2365–2371. , , , , , .
- 2007. Drosophila cacophony channels: A major mediator of neuronal Ca2+ currents and a trigger for K+ channel homeostatic regulation. J Neurosci 27:1072–1081. , .
- 1997. Genetic analysis of glutamate receptors in Drosophila reveals a retrograde signal regulating presynaptic transmitter release. Neuron 19:1237–1248. , , , , .
- 1992. Adaptation of quantal content to decreased postsynaptic sensitivity at single endplates in α-bungarotoxin-treated rats. J Physiol 458:487–499. , ,
- 2003. Presynaptic N-type calcium channels regulate synaptic growth. J Biol Chem 278:41099–41108. , , ,
- 2012. Ca(v)2 channels mediate low and high voltage-activated calcium currents in Drosophila motoneurons. J Physiol 590:809–825. , , ,
- 1990. Properties of potassium currents and their role in membrane excitability in Dorosphila larval muscle-fibers. J Exp Biol 152:59–76. ,
- 1999. Ionic currents in larval muscles of Drosophila. Neuromuscular junctions in Drosophila book series. Int Rev Neurobiol 43:191–220. ,
- 1996. A Drosophila calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene maps to a genetic locus associated with behavioral and visual defects. J Neurosci 16:7868–7879. , , , , ,
- 1996. Homeostasis of synaptic transmission in Drosophila with genetically altered nerve terminal morphology. J Neurosci 16:3877–3886. , , ,
- 2004. The synaptic vesicle cycle. Annu Rev Neurosci 27:509–547.
- 1988. Multiple types of neuronal calcium channels and their selective modulation. Trends Neurosci 11:431–438. , , , ,
- 1995. Selective regulation of current densities underlies spontaneous changes in the activity of cultured neurons. J Neurosci 15:3640–3652. , ,
- 2004. Homeostatic plasticity in the developing nervous system. Nat Rev Neurosci 5:97–107. ,
- 2006. Distinct frequency-dependent regulation of nerve terminal excitability and synaptic transmission by IA and IK potassium channels revealed by Drosophila Shaker and Shab mutations. J Neurosci 26:6238–6248. ,
- 2009. Role of rut adenylyl cyclase in the ensemble regulation of presynaptic terminal excitability: Reduced synaptic strength and precision in a Drosophila memory mutant. J Neurogenet 23:185–199. ,
- 1976. The behavior of cacophony, a courtship song mutant in Drosophila melanogaster. Behav Bio 17:187–196.
- 2008. Characterization of voltage-dependent Ca2+ currents in identified Drosophila motoneurons in situ. J Neurophysiol 100:868–878. ,
- 1978. Drosophila mutant with a temperature-sensitive block in nerve-conduction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 75:4047–4051. , , , ,
- 2005. Retrograde signaling by Syt 4 induces presynaptic release and synapse-specific growth. Science 310:858–863. , , ,
- 1995. Cloning and characterization of a calcium channel alpha 1 subunit from Drosophila melanogaster with similarity to the rat brain type D isoform. J Neurosci 15:1132–1143. , , , , , ,