Initiation of apoptosis in the developing avian outflow tract myocardium
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 223, Issue 4, pages 469–482, April 2002
How to Cite
Rothenberg, F., Hitomi, M., Fisher, S. A. and Watanabe, M. (2002), Initiation of apoptosis in the developing avian outflow tract myocardium. Dev. Dyn., 223: 469–482. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10077
- Issue published online: 21 MAR 2002
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2001
- AHA. Grant Numbers: 9920553V, 0151100B
- NIH. Grant Number: HL65314
- 1982. Formation of the coronary arteries sprouting from the primitive aortic sinus wall of the chick embryo. Experientia 38: 816–818. , .
- 1989. Development of the origin of the coronary arteries, a matter of ingrowth or outgrowth? Anat Embrol (Berl) 180: 437–441. , , , , .
- 1977. Experimental study of the development of the truncus and the conus in the chick embryo. J Anat 123: 661–686. , , , .
- 1998. Common epicardial origin of coronary vascular smooth muscle, perivascular fibroblasts, and intermyocardial fibroblasts in the avian heart. Dev Biol 193: 169–181. , , , .
- 1988. The organization of titin filaments in the half-sarcomere revealed by monoclonal antibodies in immunoelectron microscopy: a map of ten nonrepetitive epitopes starting at the Z line extends close to the M line. J Cell Biol 106: 1563–1572. , , , .
- 1992. Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. J Cell Biol 119: 493–501. , , .
- 1998. Epicardium-derived cells contribute a novel population to the myocardial wall and the atrioventricular cushions. Circ Res 82: 1043–1052. , , , , .
- 2000. EPDC participate in formation of cardiac valves and coronary vascular wall and initiate Purkinje fiber differentiation. In: ClarkEB, NakazawaM, TakaoA, editors. Etiology and morphogenesis of congenital heart disease. New York: Futura Publishing Company, Inc. p 247–250. , , .
- 1972. The conotruncus: I. Its normal inversion and conus absorption. Circulation 46: 375–384. , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1995. Compensatory responses and development of the nodose ganglion following ablation of placodal precursors in the embryonic chick (Gallus domesticus). Cell Tissue Res 281: 379–385. , , , .
- 1989. Epicardial formation in embryonic chick heart: computer-aided reconstruction, scanning, transmission electron microscopic studies. Am J Anat 184: 129–138. , .
- 1978. Formation of the epicardium studied with the scanning electron microscope. Dev Biol 66: 579–585. , .
- 1992. Coronary artery development in the chick: origin and deployment of smooth muscle cells, and the effects of neural crest ablation. Anat Rec 234: 291–300. , .
- 1979. Cell death during the development of the truncus and conus of the chick embryo heart. J Anat 129: 427–439. , .
- 1999. Induction of Purkinje fiber differentiation by coronary arterialization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 13214–13218. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Development of the outflow tract. A study in hearts with situs solitus and situs inversus. Ann N Y Acad Sci 588: 26–40. .
- 1988a. Nodose placode provides ectomesenchyme to the developing chick heart in the absence of neural crest. Cell Tissue Res 252: 17–22. .
- 1988b. Nodose placode contributes autonomic neurons to the heart in the absence of cardiac neural crest. J Neurosci 8: 1089–1095. .
- 1999. Contribution of neural crest to heart and vessel morphology. In: HarveyRP, RosenthalN, editors. Heart development. San Diego: Academic Press. p 179–193. .
- 1983. Neural crest cells contribute to normal aorticopulmonary septation. Science 220: 1059–1061. , , .
- 1983. Neural crest origin of cardiac ganglion cells in the chick embryo: identification and extirpation. Dev Biol 97: 433–443. , .
- 1980. An ultrastructural study of the cardiac ganglia in the bulbar plexus of the developing chick heart. Dev Neurosci 3: 174–184. , , .
- 1985. Characterization of conotruncal malformations following ablation of “cardiac” neural crest. Anat Rec 213: 87–93. , , .
- 1995. Defective development of the embryonic and extraembryonic circulatory systems in vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM-1) deficient mice. Development 121: 489–503. , , , , , .
- 1993. Neural crest ablation versus sham surgical effects in a chick embryo model of defective cardiovascular development. Pediatr Res 33: 628–631. , , .
- 1969a. Embryonic development of the heart. II. Formation of the epicardium. J Embryol Exp Morphol 22: 333–348. .
- 1993. Experimental study on the formation of the epicardium in chick embryos. Anat Embryol (Berl) 187: 281–289. .
- 1999. Does the subepicardial mesenchyme contribute myocardioblasts to the myocardium of the chick embryo heart? A quail-chick chimera study tracing the fate of epicardial primordium. Anat Rec 255: 212–226. .
- 1996. Pericardial mesoderm generates a population of coronary smooth muscle cells migrating into the heart along with ingrowth of the epicardial organ. Dev Biol 174: 221–232. , .
- 1987. Vasculogenesis in the early quail blastodisc as studied with a monoclonal antibody recognizing endothelial cells. Development 100: 339–349. , , , , .
- 1988. Ontogenic emergence of a quail leukocyte/endothelium cell surface antigen. Cell Differ 23: 165–174. , , .
- 1973. The tissue dynamics of heart morphogenesis. II. Quantitative investigations. B. Cell death foci. Anat Embryol Morphol 6: 335–346. .
- 1998. Neural crest cells in outflow tract septation of the embryonic chicken heart: differentiation and Apoptosis. Dev Dyn 212: 373–384. , , .
- 2000. Carvedilol prevents epinephrine-induced apoptosis in human coronary artery endothelial cells: modulation of Fas/Fas ligand and caspase-3 pathway. Cardiovasc Res 45: 788–794. , , , .
- 1999. Precocious elimination of outflow tract cardiomyocytes by adenoviral-mediated Fas Ligand expression results in defects in the ventriculo-arterial connections of the developing chicken heart. Circulation 100: I634. , , .
- 1998. TNF-alpha regulation of Fas ligand expression on the vascular endothelium modulates leukocyte extravasation. Nat Med 4: 415–420. , .
- 2000. Vascular endothelial cells and smooth muscle cells differ in expression of Fas and Fas ligand and in sensitivity to Fas ligand-induced dell death. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20: 309–316. , , .
- 2000. A syndrome of tricuspid atresia in mice with a targeted mutation of the gene encoding Fog-2. Nat Genet 25: 353–356. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FOG-2, a cofactor for GATA transcription factors, is essential for heart morphogenesis and development of coronary vessels from epicardium. Cell 101: 729–739. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Morphogenesis of the truncus arteriosus of the chick embryo heart: movements of autoradiographic tatoos during septation. Anat Rec 218: 434–440. , , .
- 1997a. Phosphatidylserine plasma membrane asymmetry in vivo: a pancellular phenomenon which alters during apoptosis. Cell Death Differ 4: 311–316. , , , , .
- 1997b. In situ detection of apoptosis during embryogenesis with Annexin V: from whole mount to ultrastructure. Cytometry 29: 313–320. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Apoptosis during coronary artery orifice development in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 262: 310–317. , .
- 1998. Lineage and development of the parasympathetic nervous system of the embryonic chick heart. Anat Embryol (Berl) 198: 171–184. , , .
- 1993. Early development of quail heart epicardium and associated vascular and glandular structures. Anat Embryol (Berl) 188: 381–393. , , , .
- 1994. Association of the cardiac neural crest with development of the coronary arteries in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 239: 315–331. , , .
- 1990. Origin of the proximal coronary artery stems and a review of ventricular vascularization in the chick embryo. Am J Anat 188: 109–120. , , .
- 1998. Developmental re-modeling and shortening of the cardiac OFT involves myocyte programmed cell death. Development 125: 3809–3820. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Perturbation of programmed cell death in OFT cardiomyocytes results in heart defects. FASEB J 14: A275. , , , , , .
- 2001. Apoptosis is required for the proper formation of the ventriculo-arterial connections. Dev Biol 240: 274–288. , , .
- 1999. Inactivation of erythropoietin leads to defects in cardiac morphogenesis. Development 126: 3597–3605. , , , .
- 1998. Normal development of the outflow tract in the rat. Circ Res 82: 464–472. , , , , , ,