Mouse dystrophin enhancer preferentially targets lacZ expression in skeletal and cardiac muscle
Article first published online: 3 APR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 224, Issue 1, pages 30–38, May 2002
How to Cite
Marshall, P., Chartrand, N., De Repentigny, Y., Kothary, R., Pelletier, L., Mueller, R. and Worton, R. G. (2002), Mouse dystrophin enhancer preferentially targets lacZ expression in skeletal and cardiac muscle. Dev. Dyn., 224: 30–38. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10080
- Issue published online: 25 APR 2002
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2001
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario. Grant Number: 4515
- Canadian Genetic Diseases Network
- 1995. Myosin light chain 3F regulatory sequences confer regionalized cardiac and skeletal muscle expression in transgenic mice. J Cell Biol 129: 383–396. , , , .
- 1993. Multiple regulatory elements contribute differentially to muscle creatine kinase enhancer activity in skeletal and cardiac muscle. Mol Cell Biol 13: 2753–2764. , , .
- 1995. Muscle gene-E-box control elements. J Biol Chem 270: 21420–21427. , .
- 1993. Mouse GATA-4: a retinoic inducible GATA-binding transcription factor expressed in endodermally derived tissues and heart. Mol Cell Biol 13: 2753–2764. , , , , .
- 2000. Cardiac tissue enriched factors serum response factor and GATA-4 are mutual coregulators. Mol Cell Biol 20: 7550–7558. , , , , , .
- 1996. Developmental and tissue-specific regulation of the murine cardiac actin gene in vivo depends on distinct skeletal and cardiac muscle-specific enhancer elements in addition to the proximal promoter. Dev Biol 173: 200–212. , , , .
- 1998. Multiple roles for the myoD basic region in transmission of transcriptional activation signals and interaction with MEF2. Mol Cell Biol 18: 69–77. , , .
- 1991. Dystrophin is transcribed in brain from a distant upstream promoter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 1276–1280. , , , .
- 2001. A murine model of Holt-Oram syndrome defines roles of the T-box transcription factor Tbx5 in cardiogenesis and disease. Cell 106: 709–721. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. A cDNA clone from the Duchenne/Becker muscular dystrophy gene. Nature 328: 434–437. , , , , , .
- 1977. Synapse formation between two clonal cell lines. Science 196: 995–998. , , , .
- 2001. Muscle-specific promoters may be necessary for adeno-associated virus mediated gene transfer in the treatment of muscular dystrophies. Hum Gene Ther 12: 205–215. , , , , , , .
- 1995. A novel dystrophin isoform is required for normal retinal electrophysiology. Hum Mol Genet 4: 837–842. , , , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of muscle creatine gene regulatory elements in skeletal and cardiac muscle of transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol 16: 1649–1658. , , , , , .
- 1997. The cardiac transcription Nkx2-5 and GATA-4 are mutual cofactors. EMBO J 16: 5687–5696. , , , , .
- 1997. Modular regulation of muscle gene transcription: a mechanism for muscle cell diversity. Trends Genet 13: 364–369. , .
- 1997. Serum response factor and protein-mediated DNA bending contribute to transcription of the dystrophin muscle-specific promoter. Mol Cell Biol 17: 1731–1743. , , , .
- 1998. The dystrophin promoter is negatively regulated by YY1 in undifferentiated muscle cells. J Biol Chem 273: 33708–33713. , , .
- 1992. Expression of four alternative dystrophin transcripts in brain regions regulated by different promoters. Hum Mol Genet 1: 505–510. , , , , , .
- 1989. A new myocyte-specific enhancer binding factor that recognizes a conserved element associated with multiple muscle-specific genes. Mol Cell Biol 9: 5022–5033. , , , .
- 2001. Tbx5 associates with Nkx2-5 and synergistically promotes cardiomyocyte differentiation. Nat Genet 28: 276–280. , , , , , , .
- 1976. Properties of a clonal muscle cell line from rat heart. Exp Cell Res 98: 367–381. , .
- 1997. A 900 bp genomic region from the mouse dystrophin promoter directs lacZ reporter expression only to the right of transgenic mice. Dev Growth Differ 39: 257–265. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular and functional analysis of the muscle-specific promoter region of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy gene. Mol Cell Biol 10: 193–205. , , , .
- 1996. Identification of a transcriptional enhancer within muscle intron 1 of the human dystrophin gene. Hum Mol Genet 5: 1599–1606. , , , , .
- 1997. A muscle-specific enhancer within intron 1 of the human dystrophin gene is functionally dependent on single MEF-1/Ebox and MEF-2/AT-rich sequence motifs. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 1618–1625. , , , .
- 1987. Complete cloning of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) cDNA and preliminary genomic organization of the DMD gene in normal and affected individuals. Cell 50: 509–517. , , , , , .
- 2001. The mouse dystrophin enhancer is regulated by myoD, E-box binding factors and the serum response factor. J Biol Chem 276: 20719–20726. , , .
- 2000. GATA-dependent recruitment of MEF2 proteins to target promoters. EMBO J 19: 2046–2055. , , , .
- 1994. A novel myogenic regulatory circuit controls slow/cardiac troponin C gene transcription in skeletal muscles. Mol Cell Biol 14: 1870–1885. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of full length and truncated dystrophin mini-genes in transgenic mdx mice. Hum Mol Genet 4: 1251–1258. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Myosin light chain enhancer activates muscle-specific developmentally regulated gene expression in transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86: 7780–7784. , , , , .
- 1996. E-box sites and a proximal regulatory region of the muscle creatine kinase gene differentially regulate expression in diverse skeletal and cardiac muscle of transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol 16: 5058–5068. , , , .
- 1989. The molecular basis of muscular dystrophy in the mdx mouse: a point mutation. Science 244: 1578–1580. , , , , , .
- 1997. Genetic variation among 129 substrains and its importance for targeted mutagenesis in mice. Nat Genet 16: 19–27. , , , , , .
- 1995. Journey to the surface of the cell: Fos regulation and the SRE. EMBO J 14: 4905–4913. .
- 1996. Immune responses to transgene encoded proteins limit the stability of gene expression after injection of replication–defective adenoviruses. Nat Med 2: 545–550. , , , .
- 2001. Activation of cardiac gene expression by myocardin, a transcriptional cofactor for serum response factor. Cell 105: 851–862. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of human full-length and minidystrophin in transgenic mdx: implications for gene therapy of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Hum Mol Genet 4: 1245–1250. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Paired myoD binding sites regulate myosin light chain gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 1242–1246. , , , , .
- 2000. The muscular dystrophies. In: ScriverCR, BeaudetAL, ValleD, SlyWS, ChildsB, KinzlewKW, VogelsteinB, editors. The metabolic and molecular bases of inherited diseases. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill. , , , .