This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
HOXB4 homeodomain protein is expressed in developing epidermis and skin disorders and modulates keratinocyte proliferation †
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 224, Issue 1, pages 58–68, May 2002
How to Cite
Kömüves, L. G., Michael, E., Arbeit, J. M., Ma, X.-K., Kwong, A., Stelnicki, E., Rozenfeld, S., Morimune, M., Yu, Q.-C. and Largman, C. (2002), HOXB4 homeodomain protein is expressed in developing epidermis and skin disorders and modulates keratinocyte proliferation . Dev. Dyn., 224: 58–68. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10085
- Issue published online: 25 APR 2002
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 19 OCT 2001
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- NIH. Grant Numbers: 1R01GM55814001A2, 3PO1 AR39448-06S2
- 1999. Control of the nuclear localization of Extradenticle by competing nuclear import and export signals. Genes Dev 13: 935–945. , , .
- 1994. Progressive squamous epithelial neoplasia in K14-human papillomavirus type 16 transgenic mice. J Virology 68: 4358–4368. , , , .
- 2000. Phosphorylation status of the SCR homeodomain determines its functional activity: essential role for protein phosphatase 2A,B'. EMBO J 19: 2946–2957. , .
- 1999. The subcellular localization of PBX1 and EXD proteins depends on nuclear import and export signals and is modulated by association with PREP1 and HTH. Genes Dev 13: 946–953. , , , , .
- 2000. p21 is a transcriptional target of HOXA10 in differentiating myelomonocytic cells. Genes Dev 14: 2581–2586. , .
- 1996. HOXB7 constitutively activates basic fibroblast growth factor in melanomas. Mol Cell Biol 16: 4842–4851. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Characteristic patterns of HOX gene expression in different types of human leukemia. Int J Cancer 53: 237–244. , , , , , .
- 1994. The DNA binding specificity of Ultrabithorax is modulated by cooperative interactions with extradenticle, another homeoprotein. Cell 78: 603–615. , , , , .
- 1995. Pbx proteins display hexapeptide-dependent cooperative DNA binding with a subset of Hox proteins. Genes Dev 9: 663–674. , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential expression of Hox genes in multistage carcinogenesis of mouse skin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 248: 749–752. , , , , .
- 1993. Adhesion molecules and homeoproteins in the phenotypic determination of skin appendages. J Invest Dermatol 101: 10S–15S. , , .
- 1994. HOX genes in human cancers. Invasion Metastasis 14: 38–49. .
- 1999. Constitutive HOXA5 expression inhibits erythropoiesis and increases myelopoiesis from human hematopoietic progenitors. Blood 94: 519–528. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Expression of class I homeobox genes in fetal murine skin. J Invest Dermatol 101: 517–522. , , .
- 1995. The serum response factor nuclear localization signal: general implications for cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase activity in control of nuclear translocation. Mol Cell Biol 15: 433–444. , , , , , , .
- 1998. HoxC13 mutant mice lack external hair. Genes Dev 12: 11–20. , .
- 1997. Positive cross-regulation and enhancer sharing: two mechanisms for specifying overlapping Hox expression patterns. Genes Dev 11: 900–913. , , , , .
- 1996. Overexpression of HOXB4 enhances the hematopoietic potential of embryonic stem cells differentiated in vitro. Blood 87: 2740–2749. , , , , .
- 1997. A role for phosphorylation by casein kinase II in modulating Antennapedia activity in Drosophila. Genes Dev 11: 1327–1340. , , .
- 2001. HOXC13 is involved in the regulation of human hair keratin gene expression. J Biol Chem 277: 3718–3726. , , , , .
- 1993. Separation of human epidermal stem cells from transit amplifying cells on the basis of differences in integrin function and expression. Cell 73: 713–724. , .
- 1990. A new homeobox gene contributes the DNA binding domain of the t(1;19) translocation protein in Pre-B ALL. Cell 60: 547–555. , , , .
- 1994. Differential expression of two different homeobox gene families during mouse tegument morphogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 38: 633–640. , , , , , .
- 1997. CHOXC-8 and CHOXD-13 expression in embryonic chick skin and cutaneous appendage specification. Dev Dyn 210: 274–287. , , , .
- 2001. Changes in HOXB6 homeodomain protein structure and localization during human epidermal development and differentiation. Dev Dyn 218: 636–647. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Hoxa9 transforms primary bone marrow cells through specific collaboration with Meis1a but not Pbx1b. EMBO J 17: 3714–3725. , , , , , .
- 2000. AP-1 complex is effector of Hox-induced cellular proliferation and transformation. Oncogene 19: 5134–5141. , .
- 1998. Cellular proliferation and transformation induced by HOXB4 and HOXB3 proteins involves cooperation with PBX1. Oncogene 16: 3403–3412. , , , , , .
- 1994. Hox genes in vertebrate development. Cell 78: 191–201. .
- 2001. Human homeobox HOXA7 regulates keratinocyte transglutaminase type 1 and inhibits differentiation. J Biol Chem 276: 32844–32853. , .
- 1997. Oncogenic transcription factors in the human acute leukemias. Science 278: 1059–1064. .
- 1996. Structural determinants within Pbx1 that mediate cooperative DNA binding with pentapeptide-containing Hox proteins: proposal for a model of a Pbx1-Hox-DNA complex. Mol Cell Biol 16: 1632–1640. , .
- 1995. The specificity of homeotic gene function. Bioessays 17: 855–863. .
- 1990. Chromosomal translocation t(1;19) results in synthesis of a homeobox fusion mRNA that codes for a potential chimeric transcription factor. Cell 60: 535–545. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Hoxa4 expression in developing mouse hair follicles and skin. Mech Dev 99: 153–157. , , , , , .
- 1994. Hox proteins have different affinities for a consensus DNA site that correlate with the positions of their genes on the hox cluster. Mol Cell Biol 14: 4532–4545. , , , .
- 1990. Homeobox gene expression plus autocrine growth factor production elicits myeloid leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 8398–8402. , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of HOX homeogenes in human neuroblastoma cell culture lines. Differentiation 45: 61–69. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cooperative interactions between HOX and PBX proteins mediated by a conserved peptide motif. Mol Cell Biol 15: 3989–3997. , , .
- 1991. Uncoupling of the calcium-sensing mechanism and differentiation in squamous carcinoma cell lines. Exp Cell Res 192: 567–573. , , , .
- 2000. Lazarus is a novel pbx gene that globally mediates hox gene function in zebrafish. Mol Cell 6: 255–267. , , , , , .
- 1998. From selectors to realizators. Int J Dev Biol 42: 417–421. , .
- 2000a. Compromised HOXA5 function can limit p53 expression in human breast tumours. Nature 405: 974–978. , , , , , , , .
- 2000b. HOXA5 regulates expression of the progesterone receptor. J Biol Chem 275: 26551–26555. , , , , , .
- 1995. Overexpression of HOXB4 in hematopoietic cells causes the selective expansion of more primitive populations in vitro and in vivo. Genes Dev 9: 1753–1765. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Overexpression of HOXB3 in hematopoietic cells causes defective lymphoid development and progressive myeloproliferation. Immunity 6: 13–22. , , , , , , .
- 1996. HOX homeodomain proteins exhibit selective complex stabilities with Pbx and DNA. Nucleic Acids Res 24: 898–906. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The HOX homeodomain proteins block CBP histone acetyltransferase activity. Mol Cell Biol 21: 7509–7522. , , , .
- 1997. The human homeobox genes MSX-1, MSX-2, and MOX-1 are differentially expressed in the dermis and epidermis in fetal and adult skin. Differentiation 62: 33–41. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential HOX homeobox gene expression during human skin development. J Invest Dermatol 110: 110–115. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Overexpression of HOXA10 in murine hematopoietic cells perturbs both myeloid and lymphoid differentiation and leads to acute myeloid leukemia. Mol Cell Biol 17: 495–505. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Epidermal stem cells: markers, patterning and the control of stem cell fate. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 353: 831–837. .
- 1991. Multiple spatially specific enhancers are required to reconstruct the pattern of Hox 2.6 gene expression. Genes Dev 5: 2048–2059. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Hox genes in digit development and evolution. Cell Tissue Res 296: 19–25. , .
- 1991. HOX4 genes encode transcription factors with potential auto- and cross-regulatory capacities. EMBO J 10: 4177–4187. , , , , , .