Growth defect in Grg5 null mice is associated with reduced Ihh signaling in growth plates
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 224, Issue 1, pages 79–89, May 2002
How to Cite
Wang, W.-F., Wang, Y.-G., Reginato, A. M., Plotkina, S., Gridley, T. and Olsen, B. R. (2002), Growth defect in Grg5 null mice is associated with reduced Ihh signaling in growth plates. Dev. Dyn., 224: 79–89. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10089
- Issue online: 25 APR 2002
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 2002
- Manuscript Received: 29 OCT 2001
- National Institute of Health. Grant Numbers: AR36819, AR36820, NS36437, HD34883
- March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
- 1999. R-esp1, a rat homologue of drosophila groucho, is differentially expressed after optic nerve crush and mediates NGF-induced survival of PC12 cells. FEBS Lett 457: 246–250. , , , , , .
- 1997. Groucho-dependent and -independent repression activities of Runt domain proteins. Mol Cell Biol 17: 5581–5587. , , , , .
- 1995. Hedgehog and Bmp genes are coexpressed at many diverse sites of cell-cell interaction in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 172: 126–138. , .
- 2001. All Tcf HMG box transcription factors interact with Groucho-related co- repressors. Nucleic Acids Res 29: 1410–1419. , , , .
- 2000. Groucho/TLE family proteins and transcriptional repression. Gene 249: 1–16. , .
- 1999. Gly369Cys mutation in mouse FGFR3 causes achondroplasia by affecting both chondrogenesis and osteogenesis. J Clin Invest 104: 1517–1525. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Indian hedgehog couples chondrogenesis to osteogenesis in endochondral bone development. J Clin Invest 107: 295–304. , , , .
- 1999. A Cbfa1-dependent genetic pathway controls bone formation beyond embryonic development. Genes Dev 13: 1025–1036. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transcriptional repression by Pax5 (BSAP) through interaction with corepressors of the Groucho family. EMBO J 19: 2292–2303. , , , .
- 2000. Cbfa1 is a positive regulatory factor in chondrocyte maturation. J Biol Chem 275: 8695–8702. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Increased expression of TGF-beta 2 in osteoblasts results in an osteoporosis-like phenotype. J Cell Biol 132: 195–210. , .
- 1998. The function of hairy-related bHLH repressor proteins in cell fate decisions. Bioessays 20: 298–306. , .
- 2000. Growth plate compressions and altered hematopoiesis in collagen X null mice. J Cell Biol 149: 983–993. , .
- 1988. A deduced gene product from the Drosophila neurogenic locus, enhancer of split, shows homology to mammalian G-protein beta subunit. Cell 55: 785–795. , , .
- 2000. Dual roles of Wnt signaling during chondrogenesis in the chicken limb. Development 127: 3141–3159. , .
- 1997. Mouse clavicular development: analysis of wild-type and cleidocranial dysplasia mutant mice. Dev Dyn 210: 33–40. , , , , .
- 1998. TLE, the human homolog of groucho, interacts with AML1 and acts as a repressor of AML1-induced transactivation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 252: 582–589. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Maturational disturbance of chondrocytes in Cbfa1-deficient mice. Dev Dyn 214: 279–290. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Spondylometaphyseal dysplasia in mice carrying a dominant negative mutation in a matrix protein specific for cartilage-to-bone transition. Nature 365: 56–61. , , .
- 1999. Collagenase 3 is a target of Cbfa1, a transcription factor of the runt gene family involved in bone formation. Mol Cell Biol 19: 4431–4442. , , , , , .
- 2000. Indian hedgehog coordinates endochondral bone growth and morphogenesis via parathyroid hormone related-protein-dependent and -independent pathways. Development 127: 543–548. , , , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of chondrocyte differentiation by Cbfa1. Mech Dev 80: 159–170. , , , .
- 1987. The enhancer of split locus and neurogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol 122: 262–273. , , , , , .
- 1997. Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts. Cell 89: 755–764. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Abnormal compartmentalization of cartilage matrix components in mice lacking collagen X: implications for function. J Cell Biol 136: 459–471. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. PTH/PTHrP receptor in early development and Indian hedgehog-regulated bone growth. Science 273: 663–666. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional repression by AML1 and LEF-1 is mediated by the TLE/Groucho corepressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 11590–11595. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A mechanism of repression by acute myeloid leukemia-1, the target of multiple chromosomal translocations in acute leukemia. J Biol Chem 275: 651–656. , , , , , .
- 1993. Cloning and developmental expression of Grg, a mouse gene related to the groucho transcript of the Drosophila Enhancer of split complex. Mech Dev 42: 67–76. , , .
- 1995. Protein characterization and targeted disruption of Grg, a mouse gene related to the groucho transcript of the Drosophila Enhancer of split complex. Dev Dyn 204: 338–347. , , , .
- 2000. The mammalian basic helix loop helix protein HES-1 binds to and modulates the transactivating function of the runt-related factor Cbfa1. J Biol Chem 275: 530–538. , , , , , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning and expression of mouse and human cDNA encoding AES and ESG proteins with strong similarity to Drosophila enhancer of split groucho protein. Eur J Biochem 216: 343–352. , , , .
- 1997. Mutations involving the transcription factor CBFA1 cause cleidocranial dysplasia. Cell 89: 773–779. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. FGF signaling in skeletal development. Front Biosci 3: D781–D794. , .
- 1985. Short-chain collagen genes and their expression in cartilage. Ann N Y Acad Sci 460: 141–153. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Bone development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 16: 191–220. , , .
- 1997. Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development. Cell 89: 765–771. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Groucho: making its Marx as a transcriptional co-repressor. Trends Genet 14: 130–132. .
- 2000. Nonlinear mixed-effects models; basic concepts and motivating examples. In: Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. New York: Springer. p 273–305. , .
- 1999. Both AP-1 and Cbfa1-like factors are required for the induction of interstitial collagenase by parathyroid hormone. Oncogene 18: 667–678. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The molecular genetics of Enhancer of split, a gene required for embryonic neural development in Drosophila. EMBO J 7: 3917–3927. , , .
- 1998. The Xenopus Wnt effector XTcf-3 interacts with Groucho-related transcriptional repressors. Nature 395: 608–612. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A rat homolog of the Drosophila enhancer of split (groucho) locus lacking WD-40 repeats. J Biol Chem 268: 25681–25686. , .
- 1999. Indian hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formation. Genes Dev 13: 2072–2086. , , .
- 1992. Human homologs of a Drosophila Enhancer of split gene product define a novel family of nuclear proteins. Nat Genet 2: 119–127. , , , , .
- 2001. Continuous expression of Cbfa1 in nonhypertrophic chondrocytes uncovers its ability to induce hypertrophic chondrocyte differentiation and partially rescues Cbfa1-deficient mice. Genes Dev 15: 467–481. , , , , .
- 2000. Inhibition of nuclear factor-kappaB-mediated transcription by association with the amino-terminal enhancer of split, a Groucho- related protein lacking WD40 repeats. J Biol Chem 275: 4383–4390. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Skeletal malformations caused by overexpression of Cbfa1 or its dominant negative form in chondrocytes. J Cell Biol 153: 87–100. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of Indian hedgehog, parathyroid hormone-related protein, and their receptors in the postnatal growth plate of the rat: evidence for a locally acting growth restraining feedback loop after birth. J Bone Miner Res 15: 1045–1055. , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of rate of cartilage differentiation by Indian hedgehog and PTH-related protein. Science 273: 613–622. , , , , , .
- 2000. Transducin-like enhancer of split proteins, the human homologs of Drosophila groucho, interact with hepatic nuclear factor 3beta. J Biol Chem 275: 18418–18423. , , , , , .
- 2001. Tissue specific regulation of VEGF expression during bone development requires Cbfa1/Runx2. Mech Dev 106: 97–106. , , , , , , .