Induction of chondrogenesis in neural crest cells by mutant fibroblast growth factor receptors
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 224, Issue 2, pages 210–221, June 2002
How to Cite
Petiot, A., Ferretti, P., Copp, A. J. and Chan, C.-T. J. (2002), Induction of chondrogenesis in neural crest cells by mutant fibroblast growth factor receptors. Dev. Dyn., 224: 210–221. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10102
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2002
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2001
- Child Health Research Appeal Trust
- Medical Research Council. Grant Number: G9826762
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Numbers: 055807, 051690
- 2001. FGF inhibits chondrocytic growth through induction of p21 and subsequent inactivation of cyclin E-Cdk2. J Biol Chem 276: 29347–29352. , , .
- 1998. Apert syndrome mutations in fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 exhibit increased affinity for FGF ligand. Hum Mol Genet 7: 1475–1483. , , , , .
- 1997. The origins of the neural crest. I. Embryonic induction. Mech Dev 69: 3–11. , .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor receptors: lessons from the genes. Trends Biochem Sci 23: 59–62. , , , .
- 2000. Molecular control of neural crest formation, migration and differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 719–724. , , .
- 1993. Sutural biology and the correlates of craniosynostosis. Am J Med Genet 47: 581–616. .
- 1993. The triple origin of skull in higher vertebrates: a study in quail-chick chimeras. Development 117: 409–429. , , .
- 1998. The effects of fibroblast growth factor-2 on human neonatal calvaria osteoblastic cells are differentiation stage specific. J Bone Miner Res 13: 645–654. , , , .
- 1999. Decreased proliferation and altered differentiation in osteoblasts from genetically and clinically distinct craniosynostotic disorders. Am J Pathol 154: 1465–1477. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Constitutive receptor activation by Crouzon syndrome mutations in fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR)2 and FGFR2/Neu chimeras. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 7894–7899. , , , , .
- 1998. Lipid-mediated enhancement of transfection by a nonviral integrin-targeting vector. Hum Gene Ther 9: 575–585. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of FGFR3 with the G380R achondroplasia mutation inhibits proliferation and maturation of CFK2 chondrocytic cells. J Bone Miner Res 15: 155–165. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mutations in TWIST, a basic helix loop helix transcription factor, in Saethre-Chotzen syndrome. Nat Genet 15: 36–41. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fgfr2 and osteopontin domains in the developing skull vault are mutually exclusive and can be altered by locally applied FGF2. Development 124: 3375–3384. , , , , , .
- 1999. Fgfr1 and Fgfr2 have distinct differentiation- and proliferation-related roles in the developing mouse skull vault. Development 126: 5611–5620. , , .
- 1993. A mutation in the homeodomain of human MSX2 gene in a family affected with autosomal dominant craniosynostosis. Cell 75: 443–450. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. FGF-, BMP- and Shh-mediated signalling pathways in the regulation of cranial suture morphogenesis and calvarial bone development. Development 125: 1241–1251. , , , .
- 1999. The neural crest. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 1–445 .
- 1993. Patterning of neural crest derivatives in the avian embryo: in vivo and in vitro studies. Dev Biol 159: 24–49. , , .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 mutations promote apoptosis but do not alter chondrocyte proliferation in thanatophoric dysplasia. J Biol Chem 273: 13007–13014. , , , , .
- 2000. The Ser252Trp fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 (FGFR-2) mutation induces PKC-independent downregulation of FGFR-2 associated with premature calvaria osteoblast differentiation. Exp Cell Res 256: 158–167. , , , , , .
- 1998. Increased clavaria cell differentiation and bone matrix formation induced by fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 mutations in Apert Syndrome. J Clin Invest 101: 1310–1317. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Signaling by fibroblast growth factors (FGF) and fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2)-activating mutations blocks mineralization and induces apoptosis in osteoblasts. J Cell Biol 149: 1297–1308. , , , .
- 1992. Point mutation in FGF receptor eliminates phosphatidylinositol hydrolysis without affecting mitogenesis. Nature 358: 681–684. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Blocking endogenous FGF-2 activity prevents cranial osteogenesis. Dev Biol 243: 99–114. (Published electronically 23rd January 2002 doi:10.1006/dbio. 2001.0533). , , , .
- 1996. Manipulating gene expression with replication-competent retroviruses. Methods Cell Biol 51: 185–218. .
- 1996. Graded activation of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 by mutations causing achondroplasia and thanatophoric dysplasia. Nat Genet 13: 233–237. , , , .
- 1998. Repression of hedgehog signaling and BMP4 expression in growth plate cartilage by fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Development 125: 4977–4988. , , , .
- 1983. The role of the neural crest in patterning of avian cranial skeletal, connective, and muscle tissues. Dev Biol 96: 144–165. .
- 1995. Mutations in the third immunoglobulin domain of the fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 gene in Crouzon syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 4: 1077–1082. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Clinical spectrum of fibroblast growth factor receptor mutations. Hum Mutat 14: 115–125. , , , , , .
- 1992. Point mutation of an FGF receptor abolishes phosphatidylinositol turnover and Ca2+ flux but not mitogenesis. Nature 358: 678–681. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Activating Mutations in the Extracellular Domain of FGFR2 Function by Disruption of the Ig-3 Disulfide Bond. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 4567–4572. , , , , , .
- 1999. FGF signaling inhibits chondrocyte proliferation and regulates bone development through the STAT-1 pathway. Genes Dev 13: 1361–1366. , , , , , .
- 2001. STAT1 mediates the increased apoptosis and reduced chondrocyte proliferation in mice overexpressing FGF2. Development 128: 2119–2129. , , , , .
- 2001. FGF-2 promotes skeletogenic differentiation of cranial neural crest cells. Development 128: 2143–2152. , , , , .
- 2000. Restrained chondrocyte proliferation and maturation with abnormal growth plate vascularization and ossification in human FGFR-3(G380R) transgenic mice. Hum Mol Genet 9: 249–258. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Origins of neural crest cell diversity. Dev Biol 159: 1–11. , , .
- 2001. Sparking new frontiers: using in vivo electroporation for genetic manipulations. Dev Biol 233: 13–21. , , , .
- 1995. Thanatophoric dysplasia (types I and II) caused by distinct mutations in fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Nat Genet 9: 321–328. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Constitutive activation of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 by the transmembrane domain point mutation found in achondroplasia. EMBO J 15: 520–527. .
- 1997a. FGFR activation in skeletal disorders: too much of a good thing. Trends Genet 13: 178–182. , .
- 1997b. Enhanced signaling and morphological transformation by a membrane-localized derivative of the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 kinase domain. Mol Cell Biol 17: 5739–5747. , .
- 1996. Profound ligand-independent kinase activation of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 by the activation loop mutation responsible for a lethal skeletal dysplasia, thanatophoric dysplasia type II. Mol Cell Biol 16: 4081–4087. , , , .
- 1999. Sox9 is required for cartilage formation. Nat Genet 22: 85–89. , , , , .
- 2000. Loss of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 ligand-binding specificity in Apert syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 14536–14541. , , , .