This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates Dach1 expression during skeletal development†
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2002
Published 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 225, Issue 1, pages 35–45, September 2002
How to Cite
Horner, A., Shum, L., Ayres, J.A., Nonaka, K. and Nuckolls, G.H. (2002), Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates Dach1 expression during skeletal development. Dev. Dyn., 225: 35–45. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10132
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2002
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2002
- NIAMS/NIH. Grant Number: Z01-AR41114
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factor inhibits chondrocytic growth through induction of p21 and subsequent inactivation of cyclin E-Cdk2. J Biol Chem 276: 29347–29352. , , .
- 2001. DACH: Genomic characterization, evaluation as a candidate for postaxial polydactyly type A2, and developmental expression pattern of the mouse homologue. Genomics 77: 18–26. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Patterning mechanisms controlling vertebrate limb development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 87–132. , .
- 1999. Mouse Dac, a novel nuclear factor with homology to Drosophila dachshund shows a dynamic expression in the neural crest, the eye, the neocortex, and the limb bud. Dev Dyn 214: 66–80. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Vertebrate orthologues of the Drosophila region-specific patterning gene teashirt. Mech Dev 91: 445–448. , , , , , .
- 1997. Dachshund and eyes absent proteins form a complex and function synergistically to induce ectopic eye development in Drosophila. Cell 91: 893–903. , , , .
- 1999. Signaling by the TGF-b homolog decapentaplegic functions reiteratively within the network of genes controlling retinal cell fate determination in Drosophila. Development 126: 935–943. , , , .
- 1996. Roles for FGF8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb development. Cell 84: 127–136. , , , .
- 2000. Morphogenetic furrow initiation and progression during eye development in Drosophila: the roles of decapentaplegic, hedgehog and eyes absent. Development 127: 1325–1336. , .
- 1999. Limiting outgrowth: BMPs as negative regulators in limb development. Bioessays 21: 721–725. , .
- 1999. Mouse Dach, a homologue of Drosophila dachshund, is expressed in the developing retina, brain and limbs. Dev Genes Evol 209: 526–536. , , , .
- 2001a. Dach1 mutant mice bear no gross abnormalities in eye, limb, and brain development and exhibit postnatal lethality. Mol Cell Biol 21: 1484–1490. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001b. Characterization of mouse Dach2, a homologue of Drosophila dachshund. Mech Dev 102: 169–179. , , , , .
- 1994. Improved methodology for detecting bromodeoxyuridine in cultured cells and tissue sections by immunocytochemistry. Histochemistry 102: 383–387. , .
- 1998. Mammalian and Drosophila dachshund genes are related to the Ski proto-oncogene and are expressed in eye and limb. Mech Dev 74: 121–131. , , , , .
- 2002. Isolation of three zebrafish dachshund homologues and their expression in sensory organs, the central nervous system and pectoral fin buds. Mech Dev 112: 183–189. , , , .
- 1999. Synergistic regulation of vertebrate muscle development by Dach2, Eya2 and Six1, homologues of genes required for Drosophila eye formation. Genes Dev 13: 3231–3243. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dach1, a vertebrate homologue of Drosophila dachshund, is expressed in the developing eye and ear of both chick and mouse and is regulated independently of Pax and Eya genes. Mech Dev 111: 75–87. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and distribution of transforming growth factor-beta isoforms and their signaling receptors in growing human bone. Bone 23: 95–102. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Stimulation of embryonic limb bud mesenchymal cell growth by peptide growth factors. J Cell Physiol 112: 353–359. , , .
- 2001. The Drosophila sex determination hierarchy modulates wingless and decapentaplegic signaling to deploy dachshund sex-specifically in the genital imaginal disc. Development 128: 1643–1656. , .
- 1999. Regulation of chondrocyte differentiation by Cbfa1. Mech Dev 80: 159–170. , , , .
- 1997. Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts. Cell 89: 755–764. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular cloning and expression of the human and mouse homologues of the Drosophila dachshund gene. Dev Genes Evol 209: 537–545. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of the paired-box genes Pax-1 and Pax-9 in limb skeleton development. Dev Dyn 214: 101–115. , , .
- 1997. Proximal-distal axis formation in Drosophila leg. Nature 388: 139–145. , .
- 2001. Expression and regulation of mouse Mtsh1 during limb and branchial arch development. Dev Dyn 222: 308–312. , , .
- 2002. Cloning and expression of medaka dachshund. Mech Dev 112: 203–206. , , .
- 1997. The mUBC9 murine ubiquitin conjugating enzyme interacts with the E2A transcription factors. Gene 201: 169–177. , , , .
- 2000. Yeast two-hybrid system identifies the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme mUbc9 as a potential partner of mouse Dac. Mech Dev 97: 3–12. , , , .
- 1994. Dachshund encodes a nuclear protein required for normal eye and leg development in Drosophila. Deve1opment 20: 3473–3486. , , .
- 1998. The roles of FGFs in the early development of vertebrate limbs. Genes Dev 12: 1571–1586. .
- 2000. The retinal determination gene, dachshund, is required for mushroom body cell differentiation. Development 127: 2663–2672. , , , , .
- 1997. Mutations involving the transcription factor CBFA1 cause cleidocranial dysplasia. Cell 89: 677–680. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal expression patterns of the cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitors p27Kip1 and p57Kip2 during mouse development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 203: 77–87. , , , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs out growth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 2000. Bone development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 16: 191–220. , , .
- 2001. Regulation of chondrocyte growth and differentiation by fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Novartis Found Symp 232: 63–76:discussion 76–80, 272–282. .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development. Cell 89: 765–771. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Impaired interactions between mouse Eya1 harbouring mutations found in patients with branchio-oto-renal syndrome and Six, Dac, and G proteins. J Hum Genet 47: 107–116. , , , .
- 1998. Targeted expression of teashirt induces ectopic eyes in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 15508–15512. , .
- 1999. FGF signaling inhibits chondrocyte proliferation and regulates bone development through the STAT-1 pathway. Genes Dev 13: 1361–1366. , , , , , .
- 2000. Positionally-dependent chondrogenesis is induced by BR is co-regulated by Sox9 and Msx2. Dev Dyn 217: 401–414. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Role of a ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme in degradation of S- and M-phase cyclins. Nature 373: 78–81. , , .
- 1997. Ectopic eye development in Drosophila induced by directed dachshund expression. Development 124: 45–52. , .
- 2002. The life cycle of chondrocytes in the developing skeleton. Arthritis Res 4: 94–106. , .
- 1997. Expression of p21CIP1/WAF1 in chondrocytes. Calcif Tissue Int 61: 199–204. , , .
- 1997. Activation of Stat1 by mutant fibroblast growth-factor receptor in thanatophoric dysplasia type II dwarfism. Nature 386: 288–292. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Control of cell cycle gene expression in bone development and during c-Fos-induced osteosarcoma formation. Dev Genet 22: 386–397. , , .
- 1995. Changes in the expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors mark distinct stages of chondrogenesis in vitro and during chick limb skeletal patterning. Dev Dyn 204: 446–456. , , , .
- 2001. Continuous expression of Cbfa1 in nonhypertrophic chondrocytes uncovers its ability to induce hypertrophic chondrocyte differentiation and partially rescues Cbfa1-deficient mice. Genes Dev 15: 467–481. , , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate limb development-the early stages in chick and mouse. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 476–481. , .
- 2001. Skeletal malformations caused by overexpression of Cbfa1 or its dominant negative form in chondrocytes. J Cell Biol 153: 87–100. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 maintains polarizing activity of posterior limb bud cells in vivo and in vitro. Development 119: 199–206. , .
- 1996. Involvement of FGF-8 in initiation, outgrowth and patterning of the vertebrate limb. Development 122: 1737–1750. , , .
- 2001. Interaction of growth factors regulating chondrocyte differentiation in the developing embryo. Osteoarthritis Cart 9(suppl A): S109–S117. .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2)-mediated reciprocal regulation loop between FGF8 and FGF10 is essential for limb induction. Development 125: 753–765. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFRs) and their roles in limb development. Cell Tissue Res 296: 33–43. , , , .
- 1997. Altered cell differentiation and proliferation in mice lacking p57KIP2 indicates a role in Beckwith-Wiedeman syndrome. Nature 387: 151–158. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A pro250Arg substitution in mouse Fgfr1 causes increased expression of Cbfa1 and premature fusion of calvarial sutures. Hum Mol Genet 9: 2001–2008. , , , , , .