BMP4 modulates fibroblast growth factor–mediated induction of proximal and distal lung differentiation in mouse embryonic tracheal epithelium in mesenchyme-free culture
Article first published online: 5 SEP 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 225, Issue 2, pages 153–165, October 2002
How to Cite
Hyatt, B. A., Shangguan, X. and Shannon, J. M. (2002), BMP4 modulates fibroblast growth factor–mediated induction of proximal and distal lung differentiation in mouse embryonic tracheal epithelium in mesenchyme-free culture. Dev. Dyn., 225: 153–165. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10145
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2002
- Article first published online: 5 SEP 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 12 APR 2002
- NHLBI. Grant Numbers: SCOR HL56387, T32 HL07752
- March of Dimes. Grant Number: 19-FY99-712
- 1962. Induction in vitro of tracheal buds by pulmonary mesenchyme grafted on tracheal epithelium. J Exp Zool 150: 83–94. , .
- 1999. Fgfr2 is required for limb outgrowth and lung-branching morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 11895–11899. , , , .
- 1996. Evidence from normal expression and targeted misexpression that Bone Morphogenetic Protein-4 (Bmp-4) plays a role in mouse embryonic lung morphogenesis. Development 122: 1693–1702. , , , , .
- 1997a. Involvement of Sonic hedgehog (Shh) in mouse embryonic lung growth and morphogenesis. Development 124: 53–63. , , , , , .
- 1997b. Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) and branching morphogenesis in the embryonic mouse lung. Development 124: 4867–4878. , , , , .
- 1995. Hedgehog and Bmp genes are coexpressed at many diverse sites of cell-cell interaction in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 1: 126–138. , .
- 2001. Signaling to the epithelium is not sufficient to mediate all of the effects of transforming growth factor beta and bone morphogenetic protein 4 on murine embryonic lung development. Mech Dev 109: 13–26. , , .
- 1997. FGF-1 and FGF-7 induce distinct patterns of growth and differentiation in embryonic lung epithelium. Dev Dyn 208: 398–405. , , , , .
- 1998. Soluble dominant-negative receptor uncovers essential roles for fibroblast growth factors in multi-organ induction and patterning. EMBO J 17: 1642–1655. , , , , .
- 1999. Genomic organization and embryonic expression of the mouse fibroblast growth factor 9 gene. Dev Dyn 216: 72–88. , , , , .
- 2001. Lung hypoplasia and neonatal death in Fgf9-null mice identify this gene as an essential regulator of lung mesenchyme. Development 128: 2095–2106. , , , .
- 2000. An important role for the IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127: 483–492. , , , , , .
- 1995. Proliferation and differentiation of fetal rat pulmonary epithelium in the absence of mesenchyme. J Clin Invest 95: 2963–2972. , .
- 1996. Acidic fibroblast growth factor and keratinocyte growth factor stimulate fetal rat pulmonary epithelial growth. Am J Physiol 271: L495–L505. , , .
- 1995. Distinct spatial and temporal expression patterns of two type I receptors for bone morphogenetic proteins during mouse embryogenesis. Endocrinology 136: 2652–2663. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pattern of keratinocyte growth factor and keratinocyte growth factor receptor expression during mouse fetal development suggests a role in mediating morphogenetic mesenchymal-epithelial interactions. Dev Dyn 203: 223–240. , , , , .
- 1989. Nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequence of the hydrophobic surfactant protein SP-C from the rat: expression in alveolar type II cells and homology with SP-C from other species. Biochim Biophys Acta 995: 225–230. , , , .
- 1991. Acidic fibroblast growth factor in the developing rat embryo. J Cell Biol 114: 1261–1273. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Distribution of basic fibroblast growth factor in the 18-day rat fetus: localization in the basement membranes of diverse tissues. J Cell Biol 110: 753–765. , , , .
- 1996. Keratinocyte growth factor is required for hair development but not for wound healing. Genes Dev 10: 165–175. , , .
- 1995. Primary structure of hepatocyte nuclear factor/forkhead homologue 4 and characterization of gene expression in the developing respiratory and reproductive epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 4249–4253. , , , , , .
- 1992. Expression of basic fibroblast growth factor and receptor: immunolocalization studies in developing rat fetal lung. Pediatr Res 31: 435–440. , , , .
- 1998. FGF-18, a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family, stimulates hepatic and intestinal proliferation. Mol Cell Biol 18: 6063–6074. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Surfactant protein C is expressed in alveolar type II cells but not in Clara cells of rat lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 6: 595–600. , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor interactions in the developing lung. Mech Dev 86: 125–136. , , .
- 2002. Coordination of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis by fibroblast growth factor 18. Genes Dev 16: 859–869. , , , .
- 2001. The bone morphogenic protein antagonist gremlin regulates proximal-distal patterning of the lung. Dev Dyn 222: 667–680. , , , , , .
- 1994. FGF-7 (keratinocyte growth factor) expression during mouse development suggests roles in myogenesis, forebrain regionalization and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Mech Dev 45: 15–30. , , , .
- 1976. Epithelial-mesenchymal interaction during lung development: the effect of mesenchymal mass. Dev Biol 51: 98–108. .
- 1999. FGF-2 induces surfactant protein gene expression in foetal rat lung epithelial cells through a MAPK-independent pathway. Cell Signal 11: 221–228. , , .
- 2000. Compensation by fibroblast growth factor 1 (FGF1) does not account for the mild phenotypic defects observed in FGF2 null mice (published erratum appears in Mol Cell Biol 2000;20:3752). Mol Cell Biol 20: 2260–2268. , , , , .
- 1998. Fgf-10 is required for both limb and lung development and exhibits striking functional similarity to Drosophila branchless. Genes Dev 12: 3156–3161. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Signaling through fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b plays a key role in the development of the exocrine pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 6267–6272. , , , , .
- 1997. Antagonistic interactions between FGF and BMP signaling pathways: a mechanism for positioning the sites of tooth formation. Cell 90: 247–255. , , , .
- 1995. Branching morphogenesis of embryonic mouse lung epithelium in mesenchyme-free culture. Development 121: 1015–1022. , .
- 1998. Bud formation precedes the appearance of differential cell proliferation during branching morphogenesis of mouse lung epithelium in vitro. Dev Dyn 213: 228–235. , , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of the mRNA encoding a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-18. J Biol Chem 273: 18161–18164. , , , , , .
- 2002. FGF18 is required for normal cell proliferation and differentiation during osteogenesis and chondrogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 870–879. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Induction of bud formation of embryonic mouse tracheal epithelium by fibroblast growth factor plus transferrin in mesenchyme-free culture. Dev Dyn 222: 263–272. , , , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factors. Genome Biol 2:REVIEWS3005. , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Neuronal defects and delayed wound healing in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 5672–5677. , , , , .
- 1998. FGF-10 is a chemotactic factor for distal epithelial buds during lung development. Dev Biol 201: 125–134. , , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog regulates branching morphogenesis in the mammalian lung. Curr Biol 8: 1083–1086. , , .
- 1999. Teeth. Where and how to make them. Trends Genet 15: 59–65. , .
- 1994. Targeted expression of a dominant negative FGF receptor blocks branching morphogenesis and epithelial differentiation of the mouse lung. EMBO J 13: 3296–3301. , , , , , .
- 2001. BMP7 controls collecting tubule cell proliferation and apoptosis via Smad1-dependent and -independent pathways. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 280: F19–F33. , , .
- 1999. BMPs negatively regulate structure and function of the limb apical ectodermal ridge. Development 126: 883–894. , .
- 1996. Keratinocyte growth factor and its receptor are involved in regulating early lung branching. Development 122: 3107–3115. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Distinct mesodermal signals, including BMPs from the septum transversum mesenchyme, are required in combination for hepatogenesis from the endoderm. Genes Dev 15: 1998–2009. , , , .
- 1999. Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formation. Nat Genet 21: 138–141. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Induction of alveolar type II cell differentiation in fetal tracheal epithelium by grafted distal lung mesenchyme. Dev Biol 166: 600–614. .
- 1996. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in lung development. J Jpn Med Soc Biol 26: 47–65. .
- 1998. Mesenchyme specifies epithelial differentiation in reciprocal recombinants of embryonic lung and trachea. Dev Dyn 212: 482–494. , , , .
- 1999. Induction of alveolar type II cell differentiation in embryonic tracheal epithelium in mesenchyme-free culture. Development 126: 1675–1688. , , .
- 2001. Gremlin negatively modulates BMP-4 induction of embryonic mouse lung branching morphogenesis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280: L1030–L1039. , , , .
- 1996. Keratinocyte growth factor and embryonic rat lung morphogenesis. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 15: 328–338. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The regulated expression of mRNA for Clara cell protein in the developing airways of the rat, as revealed by tissue in situ hybridization. Tissue Cell 24: 461–471. , , , .
- 1967. Control of lung differentiation in vitro. Dev Biol 16: 489–512. .
- 1999. HNF-3/forkhead homologue-4 (HFH-4) is expressed in ciliated epithelial cells in the developing mouse lung. J Histochem Cytochem 47: 823–832. , , , , .
- 1999. Bmp signaling regulates proximal-distal differentiation of endoderm in mouse lung development. Development 126: 4005–4015. , , , , .
- 2000. Bmp4 and Fgf10 play opposing roles during lung bud morphogenesis. Development 127: 2695–2704. , , .
- 1998. FGFR-3 and FGFR-4 function cooperatively to direct alveogenesis in the murine lung. Development 125: 3615–3623. , , , .
- 1993. Transcriptional elements from the human SP-C gene direct expression in the primordial respiratory epithelium of transgenic mice. Dev Biol 156: 426–443. , , , .
- 1970. Mammalian lung development: interactions in formation and morphogenesis of tracheal buds. J Exp Zool 175: 455–466. .
- 2002. FGF-18 influences proximal programing during lung morphogenesis. J Biol Chem 277: 22743–22749. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Whole mount in situ hybridization of vertebrate embryos. In: WilkinsonDG, editor. In situ hybridization, a practical approach. New York: IRL Press. p 75–83. .
- 1996. Structure and expression of the rat mRNA encoding a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15918–15921. , , , .
- 1996. The Spemann organizer signal noggin binds and inactivates bone morphogenetic protein 4. Cell 86: 599–606. , , .