Expression patterns of Wnts, Frizzleds, sFRPs, and misexpression in transgenic mice suggesting a role for Wnts in pancreas and foregut pattern formation
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 225, Issue 3, pages 260–270, November 2002
How to Cite
Heller, R. S., Dichmann, D. S., Jensen, J., Miller, C., Wong, G., Madsen, O. D. and Serup, P. (2002), Expression patterns of Wnts, Frizzleds, sFRPs, and misexpression in transgenic mice suggesting a role for Wnts in pancreas and foregut pattern formation. Dev. Dyn., 225: 260–270. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10157
- Issue published online: 31 OCT 2002
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2002
- 1997. Sonic hedgehog directs specialised mesoderm differentiation in the intestine and pancreas. Current Biol 7: 801–804. , , ,
- 1996. A new member of the frizzled family from drosophila functions as a wingless receptor. Nature 382: 225–230. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Homeotic genes and positional signalling in the Drosophila viscera. TIG 10: 22–26. .
- 1992. Immature transformed rat islet beta-cells differentially express C-peptides derived from the genes coding for insulin I and II as well a transfected human insulin gene. Mol Endocrinol 6: 299–307. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The Ontogeny of TGF-β1, -β2, -β3, and TGF β receptor II expression in the pancreas: implications for regulation of growth and differentiation. J Pediatr Surg 34: 689–694. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic Hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation of CNS polarity. Cell 75: 1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Pancreas: how to get there from the Gut? Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 663–668. .
- 1990. Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse development. Genes Dev 4: 2319–2332. , , .
- 1996. Restricted expression of a novel murine atonal-related bHLH protein in undifferentiated neural precursors. Dev Biol 180: 227–241. , , .
- 1997. Gut reaction to Wnt signaling in worms. Cell 90: 581–584. .
- 1994. Manipulating the mouse embryo: a laboratory manual. 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold Spring Harbor Press. , , , .
- 1999. Morphogenesis. Cell 96: 225–233. .
- 1998. Tissue restricted expression of two human Frzbs in preadipocytes and pancreas. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247: 287–293. , , , , , , .
- 1996. mRNA profiling of rat islet tumors relieves Nkx6.1 as a b-cell specific homeodomain transcription factor. J Biol Chem 271: 18749–18758. , , , , .
- 2000. Independent development of pancreatic α and β cells from neurogenin-3 expressing precursors. A role for the notch pathway in repression of premature differentiation. Diabetes 49: 163–176. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Intracellular signals regulating pancreas development and function. Genes Dev 15: 111–127. , .
- 1998. Pancreas development is promoted by cyclopamine, a hedgehog signalling inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 13036–13041. , .
- 2000. Activin receptor patterning of foregut organogenesis. Genes Dev 14: 1866–1871. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Functional and structural diversity of the human Dickkopf gene family. Gene 238: 301–313. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The Wnt/Ca2+ pathway: a new vertebrate Wnt signaling pathway takes shape. TIG 16: 279–283. , , , , .
- 1998. Isolation, characterization and embryonic expression of Wnt11, a gene which maps to 11q13.5 and has possible roles in the development of skeleton, kidney and lung. Gene 219: 101–110. , , , , , .
- 2001. Induction of ureter branching as a response to Wnt-2b signalling during early kidney organogenesis. Dev Dyn 222: 26–39. , , , , , .
- 2001. LDL-receptor-related protein 6 is a receptor for Dickkopf proteins. Nature 411: 321–325. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Structure and expression of a novel frizzled gene isolated from the developing mouse gut. Biochem J 349: 829–834. , .
- 1990. The Wnt-1 (int-1) proto-oncogene is required for development of a large region of the mouse brain. Cell 62: 1073–1085. , .
- 1994. IDX-1: a new homeodomain transcription factor expressed in rat pancreatic islets and duodenum that transactivates the somatostain gene. EMBO J 13: 1145–1156. , , .
- 1999. Signaling through fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b plays a key role in the development of the exocrine pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 6267–6272. , , , , .
- 1999. Head in the WNT: the molecular nature of the Spemann's head organizer. Trends Genet 15: 314–319. .
- 1992. Wnt genes. Cell 69: 1073–1087. , .
- http://www.stanford.edu/∼musse/wntwindow.html. (August2002). . Wnt. Available at:
- 1996. PDX-1 is required for pancreatic outgrowth and differentiation of the rostral duodenum. Development 122: 983–995. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Wnt genes and vertebrate development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 4: 523–528. , .
- 1995. Dorsalizing signal Wnt-7a required for normal polarity of D-V and A-P axes of mouse limb. Nature 374: 350–353. , .
- 1972. Development of the embryonic endocrine pancreas. In: SteinerDF, FrenkelN, editors. Handbook of physiology. Sect. 7. Vol. 1. American Physiological Society. Washington DC: Williams and Wilkins. p 25–66. , .
- 2000. An LDL- receptor related protein mediates Wnt signaling in mice. Nature 407: 535–538. , , , , .
- 1997. A family of secreted proteins contains homology to the cysteine-rich ligand-binding domain of frizzled receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 2859–2863. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Wnt7b and Shh interactions regulate ectodermal boundary formation during mammalian tooth development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 4520–4524. , , , , , .
- 1994. TGF-β1 influences the relative development of the exocrine and endocrine pancreas in vitro. Development 120: 3451–3462. , , , , , , .
- 1994. HNF-3β as a regulator of floor plate development. Cell 76: 103–115. , .
- 1993. A single protocol to detect transcripts of carious types and expression levels in neural tissue and cultured cells: in situ hybridization using digoxigenin-labeled cRNA probes. Histochemistry 100: 431–440. , .
- 1998. Cytoskeletal reorganisation by soluble Wnt3a protein signaling. Genes Cells 3: 659–670. , , , , , .
- 1995. Developmental biology of the pancreas. Development 121: 1569–1580. .
- 1994. Epithelial transformation of metanephric mesenchyme in the developing kidney regulated by Wnt-4. Nature 372: 679–683. , , , .
- 1999. Developmental expression of the homeodomain protein IDX-1 in mice transgenic for an IDX-1 promoter/LacZ transcriptional reporter. Endocrinology 140: 5374–5381. , , , .
- 2000. LDL-receptor related proteins in Wnt Signal transduction. Nature 407: 530–535. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Activities of the Wnt-1 class of secreted signaling factors are antagonized by the Wnt-5A class and by a dominant negative cadherin in early Xenopus development. J Cell Biol 133: 1123–1137. , , , , , .
- 1996. A large family of putative transmembrane receptors homologous to the product of the Drosophila tissue polarity gene frizzled. J Biol Chem 271: 4468–4476. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997a. Frzb, a secreted protein expressed in the Spemann organizer, binds and inhibits Wnt-8. Cell 88: 757–766. , , , , .
- 1997b. Frzb-1, an antagonist of Wnt1 and Wnt8, does not block signaling by Wnts-3a, -5a, or -11. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 236: 502–504. , , .
- 1999. Characterization and expression pattern of the frizzled gene Fzd9, the mouse homolog of FZD9 which is deleted in Williams-Beuren syndrome. Genomics 57: 235–248. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular embryology of the lung: then, now and in the future. Am J Physiol 276: L697–L704. , , , .
- 2000. Vertebrate endoderm development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 15: 393–410. , .
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 59–88. , .
- 2000. Mutual antagonism between Dickkopf 1 and dickkopf2 regulates Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. Curr Biol 10: 1611–1614. , , , .
- 2001. Heads or tails: Wnts and anterior-posterior patterning. Curr Biol 11: R713–R724. .
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126: 1211–1223. , , , .
- 2001. Wnt signaling: antagonistic Dickkopts. Current Biol 11 (15): R592–595. .