PI-3 kinase activity is required for epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during palate fusion
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 225, Issue 3, pages 316–321, November 2002
How to Cite
Kang, P. and Svoboda, K. K.H. (2002), PI-3 kinase activity is required for epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during palate fusion. Dev. Dyn., 225: 316–321. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10161
- Issue published online: 31 OCT 2002
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Received: 26 JAN 2002
- Baylor Oral Health Foundation
- NIH. Grant Number: EY-08886
- Tobacco Endowment Fund, Texas A&M University System
- 2000. Smads as transcriptional co-modulators. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 235–243. , .
- 2000. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase function is required for transforming growth factor beta -mediated epithelial to mesenchymal transition and cell migration. J Biol Chem 275: 36803–36810. , , , , .
- 2001. Transforming growth factor-beta1 mediates epithelial to mesenchymal transdifferentiation through a RhoA-dependent mechanism. Mol Biol Cell 12: 27–36. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of TbetaR-I and SMAD2 in embryonic palatal tissues. J Dent Res 79: 416. , , , .
- 2000. Specificity and mechanism of action of some commonly used protein kinase inhibitors. Biochem J 351: 95–105. , , , .
- 1989. Medial edge epithelium transforms to mesenchyme after embryonic palatal shelves fuse. Dev Biol 131: 455–474. , .
- 1992. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during palatal fusion: carboxyfluorescein traces cells at light and electron microscopic levels. Development 116: 1087–1099. , .
- 1997. Mapping of the gene encoding the integrin-linked kinase, ILK, to human chromosome 11p15.5-p15.4. Genomics 42: 177–179. , , , , , , .
- 1995. An overview of epithelio-mesenchymal transformation. Acta Anat 154: 8–20. .
- 1999. Autocrine TGF-beta-regulated expression of adhesion receptors and integrin-linked kinase in HT-144 melanoma cells correlates with their metastatic phenotype. Int J Cancer 83: 255–262. , , , , .
- 2000. Medial edge epithelial cell fate during palatal fusion. Dev Biol 220: 343–357. , , , , , .
- 1996. Evidence of the involvement of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in the migration, actin stress fiber formation, and alpha v beta 3-integrin-mediated adherence of human melanoma cells. J Invest Dermatol 107: 597–602. , , , , .
- 2000. TGF-beta signaling by Smad proteins. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 11: 15–22. .
- 1999. Activation of the protein kinase Akt/PKB by the formation of E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell junctions. Evidence for the association of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase with the E-cadherin adhesion complex. J Biol Chem 274: 19347–19351. , , , .
- 1997. Overexpression of the integrin-linked kinase promotes anchorage-independent cell cycle progression. J Biol Chem 272: 13937–13944. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Medial edge epithelium fate traced by cell lineage analysis during epithelial-mesenchymal transformation in vivo. Dev Biol 154: 318–330. , , , .
- 1975. A comparison of secondary palate development with different in vitro techniques. Ultrastructural changes in rat palatal epithelium after beta-aminopropionitrile. Anat Rec 181: 711–723. , .
- 2000. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase is required for adherens junction-dependent mammary epithelial cell spheroid formation. Differentiation 66: 116–125. , , , , .
- 1999. Function of alpha3beta1-tetraspanin protein complexes in tumor cell invasion. Evidence for the role of the complexes in production of matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2). J Cell Biol 146: 1375–1389. , .
- 1975. In vitro development of palatal tissues from embryonic mice. I. Differentiation of the secondary palate from 12-day mouse embryos. Anat Rec 182: 297–301. .
- 1994. A specific inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, 2-(4-morpholinyl)-8-phenyl-4H-1-benzopyran-4-one (LY294002). J Biol Chem 269: 5241–5248. , , , .
- 1998. Smads and early developmental signaling by the TGFbeta superfamily. Genes Dev 12: 2445–2462. .
- 1998. Integrin-linked protein kinase regulates fibronectin matrix assembly, E- cadherin expression, and tumorigenicity. J Biol Chem 273: 528–536. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of beta 1 integrins changes during transformation of avian lens epithelium to mesenchyme in collagen gels. Dev Dyn 201: 378–393. , .