Appearance of neurons and glia with respect to the wavefront during colonization of the avian gut by neural crest cells
Article first published online: 6 DEC 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 226, Issue 1, pages 91–98, January 2003
How to Cite
Conner, P. J., Focke, P. J., Noden, D. M. and Epstein, M. L. (2003), Appearance of neurons and glia with respect to the wavefront during colonization of the avian gut by neural crest cells. Dev. Dyn., 226: 91–98. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10219
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2002
- Article first published online: 6 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2002
- NIH-NINDS. Grant Number: NS 31385
- 1980. The origin and differentiation of enteric neurons of the intestine of the fowl embryo. Amer J Anat 157: 137–154. , .
- 1981. The influence of the metameric pattern in the mesoderm on migration of cranial neural crest cells in the chick embryo. Dev Biol 85: 385–402. , .
- 1998. Glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) immunoreactivity in enteric ganglia of the chick embryo. Brain Res 804: 275–283. , .
- 1998. The sacral neural crest contributes neurons and glia to the post- umbilical gut: spatiotemporal analysis of the development of the enteric nervous system, Development 125: 4335–4347. , .
- 1999. Identification and characterization of early glial progenitors using a transgenic selection strategy. J Neurosci 19: 759–774. , , , , , .
- 1996. Onconeural antigens and the paraneoplastic neurologic disorders: at the intersection of cancer, immunity, and the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 4529–4536. .
- 1991. Formation of ganglia in the gut of the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol 307: 189–199. , , .
- 1995. Appearance of neurons in the developing chick gut. Dev Dyn 204: 192–201. , , , .
- 1998. Axonal transport of neurotrophins by visceral afferent and efferent neurons of the vagus nerve of the rat. J Comp Neurol 393: 102–117. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. A transgenic model for studying development of the enteric nervous system in normal and aganglionic mice. Development 116: 167–175. , , .
- 1973. The migration of neural crest cells to the wall of the digestive tract in avian embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 30: 31–48. , .
- 1990a. Posttranslational modification of class III beta-tubulin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 7195–7199. , , .
- 1990b. The expression and posttranslational modification of a neuron-specific beta-tubulin isotype during chick embryogenesis. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 17: 118–132. , , , , .
- 1997. Cx43 gap junction gene expression and gap junctional communication in mouse neural crest cells. Dev Genet 20: 119–132. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of HNK-1 antigens during the formation of the avian enteric nervous system. Development 115: 561–572. , , , , , .
- 1994. Hu neuronal proteins are expressed in proliferating neurogenic cells. J Neurobiol 25: 143–155. , , , .
- 2001. Development of the submucous plexus in the large intestine of the mouse. Cell Tissue Res 303: 301–305. , , .
- 1999. Multipotential progenitors of the mammalian enteric nervous system capable of colonizing aganglionic bowel in organ culture. Development 126: 157–168. , , , , .
- 2002a. Enteric nervous system: development and developmental disturbances-part 1. Pediatr Dev Pathol 5: 224–247. , .
- 2002b. Enteric nervous system: development and developmental disturbances: part 2. Pediatr Dev Pathol 5: 329–349. , .
- 1996. Migration of enteric neural crest cells in relation to growth of the gut in avian embryos. Acta Anat 157: 105–115. , , , .
- 1975. An analysis of migratory behavior of avian cephalic neural crest cells. Dev Biol 42: 106–130. .
- 1984. Craniofacial development: new views on old problems. Anat Rec 208: 1–13. .
- 1991a. The development of craniofacial blood vessels. In: FeinbergRN, ShererG, AuerbachR, editors. Development of the vascular system. Basel: Karger. p 1–24. .
- 1991b. Origins and patterning of avian outflow tract endocardium. Development 111: 867–876. .
- 1997. A hierarchy of Hu RNA binding proteins in developing and adult neurons. J Neurosci 17: 3024–3037. , .
- 1984. Neurofilament expression in vagal neural crest-derived precursors of enteric neurons. Dev Biol 105: 273–287. , , .
- 1998. Neural crest cells in the outflow tract septation of the embryonic chicken heart: differentiation and apoptosis. Dev Dyn 212: 373–384. , , .
- 1986. Colonization of the bowel by the precursors of enteric glia: studies of normal and congenitally aganglionic mutant mice. J Comp Neurol 252: 493–506. , , .
- 1978. The early migration of neural crest cells in the trunk region of the avian embryo: an electron microscopic study. Dev Biol 62: 317–333. .
- 1986. Pathways of avian neural crest cell migration in the developing gut. Dev Biol 116: 439–450. , , .
- 2001. Modulation of mouse neural crest cell motility by N-cadherin and connexin 43 gap junctions. J Cell Biol 154: 217–230. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Enteric neural crest-derived cells: origin, identification, migration, and differentiation. Anat Rec 262: 1–15. , .
- 1998. A single rostrocaudal colonization of the rodent intestine by enteric neuron precursors is revealed by the expression of Phox2b, Ret, and p75 and by explants grown under the kidney capsule or in organ culture. Dev Biol 202: 67–84. , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of Ret-, p75(NTR)-, Phox2a-, Phox2b-, and tyrosine hydroxylase-immunoreactivity by undifferentiated neural crest-derived cells and different classes of enteric neurons in the embryonic mouse gut. Dev Dyn 216: 137–152. , , , .
- 2002. The projections of early enteric neurons are influenced by the direction of neural crest cell migration. J Neurosci 22: 6005–6018. , , .
- 2001. Defining glial cells during CNS development. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 840–843. .
- 2000. Identification of a novel family of oligodendrocyte lineage-specific basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors. Neuron 25: 331–343 , , .