Matrix metalloproteinase activity correlates with blastema formation in the regenerating MRL mouse ear hole model
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Regeneration Special Issue
Volume 226, Issue 2, pages 377–387, February 2003
How to Cite
Gourevitch, D., Clark, L., Chen, P., Seitz, A., Samulewicz, S. J. and Heber-Katz, E. (2003), Matrix metalloproteinase activity correlates with blastema formation in the regenerating MRL mouse ear hole model. Dev. Dyn., 226: 377–387. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10243
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2003
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Received: 15 AUG 2002
- NIH. Grant Numbers: AI42395, AI07518, DE13359
- NIH training grant
- 1997. Aberrant cytokine expression and autocrine regulation characterize macrophages from young MRL+/+ and NZB/W F1 lupus-prone mice. J Immunol 159: 5610–5619. , , .
- 1995. Ontogeny of the skin and the transition from scar-free to scarring phenotype during wound healing in the pouch of a young marsupial Monodelphis domestica. Dev Biol 169: 242–360. , .
- 2000. Proteinases, their inhibitors, and cytokine profiles in acute wound fluid. Wound Repair Regen 8: 392–398. , .
- 2003. Sexually dimorphic genes regulate healing and regeneration in the MRL/MpJ mouse. Mammalian Genome (in press). , , , , .
- 1990. cDNA cloning and expression of a metalloproteinase inhibitor related to tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 2800–2804. , , , .
- 1982. Mice regrow the tips of the foretoes. Science 217: 747–750. .
- 1997. Amphibian limb regeneration: rebuilding a complex structure. Science 276: 81–87. .
- 1996. Localization of matrix metalloproteinase MMP-2 to the surface of invasive cells by interaction with integrin alpha v beta 3. Cell 85: 683–693. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The TIMP2 membrane type 1 metalloproteinase “receptor” regulates the concentration and efficient activation of pro-gelatinase A. A kinetic study. J Biol Chem 273: 871–880. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinase production in regenerating axolotl spinal cord. Wound Repair Regen 8: 282–291. , , , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases regulate morphogenesis, migration, and remodeling of epithelium, tongue skeletal muscle and cartilage in the mandibular arch. Development 124: 1519–1530. , .
- 2002. Expression of fibroblast growth factors 4, 8, and 10 in limbs, flanks, and blastemas of Ambystoma. Dev Dyn 223: 193–203. , , .
- 1996. Wound repair: overview and general consideration. In: ClarkR, editor. The molecular and cellular biology of wound repair. New York: Plenum Press. p 3–35. .
- 1998. A new murine model for mammalian wound repair and regeneration. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 88: 35–45. , , .
- 2000. Differential regulation of three thyroid hormone-responsive matrix metalloproteinase genes implicates distinct functions during frog embryogenesis. FASEB J 14: 503–510. , , , .
- 1972. Conservative management of guillotine amputations of the fingers of children. Aust Paediatr J 8: 86–90. .
- 1970. The collagenolytic enzyme of the regenerating limb of the Newt triturus viridescens. Dev Biol 22: 129–137. , .
- 1995. Unique regulation of the matrix metalloproteinase, gelatinase B. Invest Opthalmol Vis Sci 36: 622–633. , , , .
- 1980. Effect of apical epidermal cap on mitotic cycle and cartilage differentiation in regeneration blastemata in the newt. Notophthalmus viridescens. Dev Biol 75: 358–372. , , .
- 1970. Problems of antlerogenesis. Clin Orthop 69: 227–238. .
- 1975. Epidermal downgrowths in regenerating rabbit ear holes. J Morphol 146: 533–542. , .
- 1968. Collagenolytic activity in regenerating forelimbs of the adult newt. Dev Biol 17: 571–583. , , , .
- 1966. How do tadpoles lose their tails. J Invest Dermatol 47: 274–277. .
- 1996. Getting to mammalian wound repair and amphibian limb regeneration: a mechanistic link in the early events. Wound Repair Regen 4: 190–202. .
- 1995. Augmentation of metalloproteinase (gelatinase) activity secreted from Rous sarcoma virus-infected cells correlates with transforming activity of src. Oncogene 10: 1037–1043. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell biology of gingival wound healing. Periodontology 24: 127–152. , , .
- 1995. Aberrant cytokine regulation in macrophages from young autoimmune-prone mice: evidence that the intrinsic defect in MRL macrophage IL-1 expression is transcriptionally controlled. Mol Immunol 32: 743–751. , , , .
- 1984. Cell-matrix interaction in the embryo: cell shape, cell surface, cell skeletons, and their role in differentiation. In: TrelstadRL, editor. The role of extracellular matrix in development. New York: Alan Liss. p 1–31. .
- 1992. Growth-promoting activity of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) for a wide range of cells. A possible new growth factor in serum. FEBS Lett 298: 29–32. , , , , .
- 1999. The regenerating mouse ear. Semin Cell Dev Biol 10: 415–420. .
- 1994. Macrophage recruitment during limb development and wound healing in the embryonic and fetal mouse. J Cell Sci 107: 1159–1167. , , , .
- 1991. Regulation of the autoactivation of human 72 kDa progelatinase by tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2. J Biol Chem 266: 13064–13069. , , .
- 1974. Trapped fingers and amputated finger tips in children. J Pediatr Surg 9: 853–858. .
- 1990. Tumor necrosis factor bifunctionally regulated matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP) production by human fibroblasts. FEBS Lett 269: 93–95. , , .
- 2002. The role of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and matrix metalloproteinase-9 in antibody-induced arthritis. J Immunol 169: 2643–2647. , , , , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinases mediate the dismantling of mesenchymal structures in the tadpole tail during thyroid hormone-induced tail resorption. Dev Dyn 223: 402–413. , , , .
- 2002. Ratios of activated matrix metalloproteinase-9 to tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-1 in wound fluids are inversely correlated with healing of pressure ulcers. Wound Repair Regen 10: 26–37. , , , , , .
- 2001. Heart regeneration in adult MRL mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 9830–9835. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Studies on the ability of 65-kDa and 92-kDa tumor cell gelatinases to degrade type IV collagen. J Biol Chem 265: 21929–21934. , , , .
- 2001. Identification of wound healing/regeneration quantitative trait loci (QTL) at multiple time points that explain seventy percent of variance in (MRL/MpJ and SJL/J) mice F2 population. Genome Res 11: 2027–2033. , , , , , .
- 1992. The matrix-degrading metalloproteinases. Bioassays 14: 455–463. .
- 1991. Differential roles for two gelatinolytic enzymes of the matrix metalloproteinase family in the remodelling cornea. Dev Biol 147: 425–439. , , , , .
- 1998. Genetic analysis of a mammalian wound healing trait. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 11792–11797. , , , , .
- 2001. Claudin promotes activation of pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 mediated by membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem 276: 28204–28211. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cloning and characterization of cDNAs for matrix metalloproteinases of regenerating newt limbs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 6819–6824. , , , .
- 1999. Proteolysis and cell migration: creating a path? Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 614–621. , .
- 1994. Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase activity. Ann N Y Acad Sci 732: 31–41. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Epidermis, basement membrane, and connective-tissue healing after amputation of mouse digits: implications for mammalian appendage regeneration. Anat Rec 223: 425–432. .
- 1991. Biochemical and immunological characterization of collagenase in tissues of metamorphosing bullfrog tadpoles. Dev Growth Differ 33: 329–339. , .
- 1997. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases during rat skin wound healing: evidence that membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase is a stromal activator of pro-gelatinase A. J Cell Biol 137: 67–78. , , , , , .
- 1999. Matrix metalloproteinases in repair. Wound Repair Regen 7: 423–432. .
- 1998. Matrix metalloproteinases. San Diego: Academic Press. , .
- 1978. Scanning electron microscopy of epidermal cell migration in wound healing during limb regeneration in the adult newt, Notophthalmus viridescens. Am J Anat 151: 539–555. , .
- 1980. Ultrastructural studies on migrating epidermal cells during the wound healing stage of regeneration in the adult newt, Notophthalmus viridescens. Am J Anat 159: 187–208. , .
- 2002. Expression of pref-1, a delta-like protein, in healing mouse ears. Wound Repair Regen 10: 215–221. , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of a collagenolytic enzyme released from wounded planarians Dugesia japonica. Wound Repair Regen 7: 458–466. , , .
- 1998. Soluble factors released from neutrophils activates endothelial cell matrix metalloproteinase-2. J Surg Res 76: 79–85. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Recovery from spinal cord injury: a new transection model in the C57Bl/6 mouse. J Neurosci Res 67: 337–345. , , .
- 1998. The involvement of the fibronectin type II-like modules of human gelatinase A in cell surface localization and activation. J Biol Chem 273: 20622–20628. , , .
- 2001. Proteolytic events of wound-healing-coordinated interactions among matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs), integrins, and extracellular matrix molecules. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 12: 373–398. , , .
- 1995. Wound repair, regeneration and artificial tissue. Austin: R.G. Landes Co. .
- 1996. Tissue restoration: approaches and prospects. Wound Repair Regen 4: 3–15. .
- 1987. Use of retinoids to analyze the cellular basis of positional memory in regenerating amphibian limbs. Biochem Cell Biol 65: 750–761. , .
- 1972. Epidermal-mesodermal interaction during morphogenesis of the limb regeneration blastema in larval salamanders. J Exp Zool 181: 49–62. , .
- 2002. Functions of FGF signalling from the apical ectodermal ridge in limb development. Nature 418: 501–508. , , .
- 2001. Metalloelastase (MMP-12) and 92-kDa gelatinase (MMP-9) as well as their inhibitors, TIMP-1 and -3, are expressed in psoriatic lesions. Exp Dermatol 10: 175–183. , , , .
- 1999. Analysis of the acute and chronic wound environments: the role of proteases and their inhibitors. Wound Repair Regen 7: 442–452. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. ECM and cell surface proteolysis: regulating cellular ecology. Cell 91: 439–442. .
- 1997. The LightCycler: a microvolume multisample fluorimeter with rapid temperature control. Biotechniques 22: 176–181. , , , , , .
- 1991. Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in connective tissue remodeling. FASEB J 5: 2145–2154. .
- 1994. Developmental regulation of a matrix metalloproteinase during regeneration of axolotl appendages. Dev Biol 166: 696–703. , .
- 1998. Matrix metalloproteinases and diseases of the CNS. Trends Neurosci 21: 75–80. , , , , .