Soluble and bound forms of GFRα1 elicit different GDNF-independent neurite growth responses in primary sensory neurons
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 1, pages 27–34, May 2003
How to Cite
Mikaels-Edman, Å., Baudet, C. and Ernfors, P. (2003), Soluble and bound forms of GFRα1 elicit different GDNF-independent neurite growth responses in primary sensory neurons. Dev. Dyn., 227: 27–34. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10280
- Issue online: 8 APR 2003
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUL 2002
- Swedish Medical Research Council
- Biotechnology Program of the European Union. Grant Number: QLG3-00602
- Göran Gustafssons Foundation
- Swedish Cancer Society
- 2000. Positive and negative interactions of GDNF, NTN and ART in developing sensory neuron subpopulations, and their collaboration with neurotrophins. Development 127: 4335–4344. , , , , , .
- 1998. Functions of lipid rafts in biological membranes. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 111–136. , .
- 2000. Analysis of the L1-deficient mouse phenotype reveals cross-talk between Sema3A and L1 signaling pathways in axonal guidance. Neuron 27: 237–249. , , , , .
- 1996. BAX is required for neuronal death after trophic factor deprivation and during development. Neuron 17: 401–411. , , , , , .
- 1999. Distinct structural elements in GDNF mediate binding to GFRα1 and activation of the GFRα1-c-RET receptor complex. EMBO J 18: 5901–5910. , , , .
- 1997. Axonal molecules of the immunoglobulin superfamily bearing a GPI anchor: their role in controlling neurite outgrowth. Mol Cell Neurosci 9: 109–115. , .
- 1999. A rapid and dynamic regulation of GDNF- family ligands and receptors correlate with the developmental dependency of cutaneous sensory innervation. Development 126: 2597–2610. , , , .
- 1996. GDNF-induced activation of the Ret protein tyrosine kinase is mediated by GDNFRα, a novel receptor for GDNF. Cell 86: 1–20. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Bax-deficient mice with lymphoid hyperplasia and male germ cell death. Science 270: 96–99. , , , , .
- 2002. Ephrin-As as receptors in topographic projections. Trends Neurosci 23: 145–149. , .
- 2002. Target-derived GFRalpha1 as an attractive guidance signal for developing sensory and sympathetic axons via activation of Cdk5. Neuron 36: 387–401. , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophins support the development of diverse sensory axon morphologies. J Neurosci 19: 1038–1048. , , , .
- 2001. Activation by GDNF of a transcriptional program repressing neurite growth in dorsal root ganglia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 14681–14686. , , , .
- 1996. Basic statistics with applications. New York: Norton. .
- 2000. A dynamic regulation of GDNF-family receptors correlates with a specific trophic dependency of cranial motor neuron subpopulations during development. Eur J Neurosci 12: 446–456. , , , , .
- 1997. Differential regulation of mRNAs for GDNF and its receptors Ret and GFR-alpha after sciatic nerve lesion in the mouse. Eur J Neurosci 9: 1450–1460. , , .
- 2001. Released GFRα1 potentiates downstream signaling, neuronal survival, and differentiation via a novel mechanism of recruitment of c-Ret to lipid rafts. Neuron 29: 171–184. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. GDNF triggers a novel Ret-independent Src-kinase family coupled signaling via a GPI-linked GDNF receptor α1. FEBS lett 463: 63–66. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The GDNF-induced neurite outgrowth and neuronal survival in dissociated myenteric plexus cultures of the rat small intestine decreases postnatally. Exp Brain Res 125: 447–452. , .
- 1997. Functional rafts in cell membranes. Nature 387: 569–572. , .
- 1996. Neurotrophins cause a new sensation. Neuron 16: 229. , .
- 1998. The RET-glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) pathway stimulates migration and chemoattraction of epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 142: 1337–1345. , , , .
- 2000. GFRalpha-mediated localization of RET to lipid rafts is required for effective downstream signaling, differentiation, and neuronal survival. Neuron 25: 611–623. , , ,
- 1996. Functional receptor for GDNF encoded by the c-ret proto-oncogene. Nature 381: 785–789. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Complementary and overlapping expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (gdnf), c-ret proto-oncogene, and gdnf receptor-alpha indicates multiple mechanisms of trophic actions in the adult rat CNS. J Neurosci 17: 3554–3567. , , , .
- 1998. Widespread elimination of naturally occurring neuronal death in Bax-deficient mice. J Neurosci 18: 1428–1439. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of GDNF family receptor components during development: implications in the mechanisms of interaction. J Neurosci 18: 4684–4696. , , , , , .
- 1996. Combined effects of GDNF, BDNF, and CNTF on motoneuron differentiation in vitro. J Neurosci Res 44: 133–141. , , , , .