Localization of aggrecan and versican in the developing rat central nervous system
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 1, pages 143–149, May 2003
How to Cite
Popp, S., Andersen, J. S., Maurel, P. and Margolis, R. U. (2003), Localization of aggrecan and versican in the developing rat central nervous system. Dev. Dyn., 227: 143–149. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10282
- Issue online: 8 APR 2003
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2002
- NIH. Grant Numbers: NS-09348, NS-13876
- 2002. Versican is upregulated in CNS injury and is a product of oligodendrocyte lineage cells. J Neurosci 22: 2225–2236. , , , , , .
- 1995. The versican C-type lectin domain recognizes the adhesion protein tenascin-R. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 10590–10594. , , .
- 1997. The C-type lectin domains of lecticans, a family of aggregating chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans, bind tenascin-R by protein-protein interactions independent of carbohydrate moiety. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 10116–10121. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Proteoglycans in the developing brain: new conceptual insights for old proteins. Physiol Rev 80: 1267–1290. , .
- 1987. Complete primary structure of rat cartilage proteoglycan core protein deduced from cDNA clones. J Biol Chem 262: 17757–17767. , , , , .
- 1994. A novel glycosaminoglycan attachment domain identified in two alternative splice variants of human versican. J Biol Chem 269: 32992–32998. , .
- 2000. The brain link protein-1 (BRAL1): cDNA cloning, genomic structure, and characterization as a novel link protein expressed in adult brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 276: 982–989. , , , , , , .
- 1981. Fractionation and properties of a chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan and the soluble glycoproteins of brain. J Biol Chem 256: 10529–10537. , , .
- 2001. Intact aggrecan and fragments generated by both aggrecanase and metalloproteinase-like activities are present in the developing and adult rat spinal cord and their relative abundance is altered by injury. J Neurosci 21: 4772–4781. , , , .
- 1997. Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans as mediators of axon growth and pathfinding. Cell Tissue Res 290: 343–348. , .
- 1996. Neurocan and phosphacan: two major nervous tissue-specific chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 3: 273–290. , , , .
- 2002. Aggrecan glycoforms contribute to the molecular heterogeneity of perineuronal nets. J Neurosci 22: 7536–7547. , , , , , .
- 1994. Phosphacan, a chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan of brain that interacts with neurons and neural cell adhesion molecules, is an extracellular variant of a receptor-type protein tyrosine phosphatase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 2512–2516. , , , , .
- 1995. Chondroitin sulfate and chondroitin/keratan sulfate proteoglycans of nervous tissue: developmental changes of neurocan and phosphacan. J Neurochem 65: 2327–2337. , , , , , .
- 1996. Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans in the developing central nervous system. II. Immunocytochemical localization of neurocan and phosphacan. J Comp Neurol 366: 44–54. , , , .
- 1998. Differential regulation of expression of hyaluronan-binding proteoglycans in developing brain: aggrecan, versican, neurocan, and brevican. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247: 207–212. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The link proteins. Experientia 49: 393–402. , .
- 2002. Bral1, a brain-specific link protein, colocalizing with the versican V2 isoform at the nodes of Ranvier in developing and adult mouse central nervous systems. Mol Cell Neurosci 19: 43–57. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of versican isoforms in brain tumors. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 55: 528–533. , , , .
- 1991. Isolation and characterization of developmentally regulated chondroitin sulfate and chondroitin/keratan sulfate proteoglycans of brain identified with monoclonal antibodies. J Biol Chem 266: 14785–14801. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Cloning and primary structure of neurocan, a developmentally regulated, aggregating chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan of brain. J Biol Chem 267: 19536–19547. , , , , .
- 1998. Versican V2 is a major extracellular matrix component of the mature bovine brain. J Biol Chem 273: 15758–15764. , , , .
- 2000. Brain derived versican V2 is a potent inhibitor of axonal growth. J Cell Sci 113: 807–816. , , , , .
- 1996. Brain aggrecan. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 3: 291–306. , , , , .
- 1995. cDNA cloning and the identification of an aggrecanase-like cleavage site in rat brevican. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 216: 957–963. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of PG-M(V3), an alternatively spliced form of PG-M without a chondroitin sulfate attachment region in mouse and human tissues. J Biol Chem 270: 3914–3918. , , , , .