Drs. Zhang and Murcia contributed equally to this manuscript.
Loss of the Tg737 protein results in skeletal patterning defects
Version of Record online: 28 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 1, pages 78–90, May 2003
How to Cite
Zhang, Q., Murcia, N. S., Chittenden, L. R., Richards, W. G., Michaud, E. J., Woychik, R. P. and Yoder, B. K. (2003), Loss of the Tg737 protein results in skeletal patterning defects. Dev. Dyn., 227: 78–90. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10289
- Issue online: 8 APR 2003
- Version of Record online: 28 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2002
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Grant Numbers: DK51068, DK58939, DK062758, DK55007
- 1998. Antagonistic effects of FGF4 on BMP induction of apoptosis and chondrogenesis in the chick limb bud. Mech Dev 71: 143–150. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression profile of Gli family members and Shh in normal and mutant mouse limb development. Dev Dyn 211: 88–96. , .
- 1997. Evidence for genetic control of Sonic hedgehog by Gli3 in mouse limb development. Mech Dev 62: 175–182. , , , .
- 1995. Polydactylous limbs in Strong's Luxoid mice result from ectopic polarizing activity. Development 121: 1971–1978. , , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80: 739–746. , , , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 1994. Axial homeosis and appendicular skeleton defects in mice with a targeted disruption of hoxd-11. Development 120: 2187–2198. , .
- 1996. A mutational analysis of the 5' HoxD genes: dissection of genetic interactions during limb development in the mouse. Development 122: 1175–1185. , .
- 1995. Absence of radius and ulna in mice lacking hoxa-11 and hoxd-11. Nature 375: 791–795. , , , , .
- 1993. Disruption of the Hoxd-13 gene induces localized heterochrony leading to mice with neotenic limbs. Cell 75: 431–441. , , , , , , .
- 2002. A re-examination of proximodistal patterning during vertebrate limb development. Nature 418: 539–544. , , .
- 1981. Golgi orientation and cell behavior in the developing pattern of chondrogenic condensations in chick limb-bud mesenchyme. Histochem J 13: 615–630. , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor-2 during postnatal development of the tracheal basement membrane zone. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 283: L1263–L1270. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 play a crucial role in the patterning of the limb autopod. Development 122: 2997–3011. , , , , , .
- 2001. The C. elegans homolog of the murine cystic kidney disease gene Tg737 functions in a ciliogenic pathway and is disrupted in osm-5 mutant worms. Development 128: 1493–1505. , , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is not required for polarising activity in the Doublefoot mutant mouse limb bud. Development 125: 351–357. , , , .
- 1994. Fgf-8 expression in the post-gastrulation mouse suggests roles in the development of the face, limbs and central nervous system. Mech Dev 48: 129–138. , , , , .
- 1997. The expression pattern of nodal and lefty in the mouse mutant Ft suggests a function in the establishment of handedness. Mech Dev 66: 5–11. , , .
- 2000. Stirring up development with the heterotrimeric kinesin KIF3. Traffic 1: 29–34. .
- 1993. A mouse model of greig cephalopolysyndactyly syndrome: the extra-toesJ mutation contains an intragenic deletion of the Gli3 gene. Nat Genet 3: 241–246. , .
- 1994. Sonic hedgehog and Fgf-4 act through a signaling cascade and feedback loop to integrate growth and patterning of the developing limb bud. Cell 79: 993–1003. , , , , .
- 1999. Cell migration and chick limb development: chemotactic action of FGF-4 and the AER. Dev Biol 211: 335–347. , .
- 1999. Gap junction signaling mediated through connexin-43 is required for chick limb development. Dev Biol 207: 380–392. , .
- 1999. Situs inversus and embryonic ciliary morphogenesis defects in mouse mutants lacking the KIF3A subunit of kinesin-II. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 5043–5048. , , , , .
- 1995. Distribution of Sonic hedgehog peptides in the developing chick and mouse embryo. Development 121: 2537–2547. , , , , .
- 1995. A duplicated zone of polarizing activity in polydactylous mouse mutants. Genes Dev 9: 1645–1653. , , , , .
- 2002. Expression analyses and interaction with the anaphase promoting complex protein Apc2 suggest a role for inversin in primary cilia and involvement in the cell cycle. Hum Mol Genet 11: 3345–3350. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Candidate gene associated with a mutation causing recessive polycystic kidney disease in mice. Science 264: 1329–1333. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The Oak Ridge Polycystic Kidney (orpk) disease gene is required for left-right axis determination. Development 127: 2347–2355. , , , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of Hox gene expression in the chick limb bud. Development 122: 1449–1466. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular and cellular basis of pattern formation during vertebrate limb development. Curr Top Dev Biol 41: 37–66. , , , .
- 1992. Fgf-4 expression during gastrulation, myogenesis, limb and tooth development in the mouse. Development 114: 755–768. , .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 1998. Randomization of left-right asymmetry due to loss of nodal cilia generating leftward flow of extraembryonic fluid in mice lacking KIF3B motor protein. Cell 95: 829–837. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Abnormal nodal flow precedes situs inversus in iv and inv mice. Mol Cell 4: 459–468. , , , , , .
- 2002. Mutations in DNAH5 cause primary ciliary dyskinesia and randomization of left-right asymmetry. Nat Genet 30: 143–144. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The intraflagellar transport protein, IFT88, is essential for vertebrate photoreceptor assembly and maintenance. J Cell Biol 157: 103–113. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The molecular ZPA. J Exp Zool 282: 677–690. , .
- 2002. The ion channel polycystin-2 is required for left-right axis determination in mice. Curr Biol 12: 938–943. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. On the functional organisation of hyaline articular cartilage. Ital J Anat Embryol 100: 113–119. , , , .
- 1985. Analysis of the morphology and function of primary cilia in connective tissues: a cellular cybernetic probe? Cell Motil 5: 175–193. , , .
- 1997. Confocal analysis of primary cilia structure and colocalization with the Golgi apparatus in chondrocytes and aortic smooth muscle cells. Cell Biol Int 21: 483–494. , , , , , .
- 2001. The differential distribution of acetylated and detyrosinated alpha-tubulin in the microtubular cytoskeleton and primary cilia of hyaline cartilage chondrocytes. J Anat 199: 393–405. , , .
- 2003. Node and midline defects are associated with left-right development in Delta1 mutant embryos. Development 130: 3–13. , , , .
- 1997. Polydactyly and ectopic ZPA formation in Alx-4 mutant mice. Development 124: 3999–4008. , , , , , , .
- 1975. Demonstration, by means of electron microscopy, of the penetration of somitic cells into the mesoblast of the limb buds of reptile embryos (Anguis fragilis, Lacerta viridis). Anat Microsc Morphol Exp 64: 287–316. , .
- 1996. Oval cell proliferation associated with the murine insertional mutation TgN737Rpw. Am J Pathol 149: 1919–1930. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Isolation and characterization of liver epithelial cell lines from wild-type and mutant TgN737Rpw mice. Am J Pathol 150: 1189–1197. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Epidermal growth factor receptor activity mediates renal cyst formation in polycystic kidney disease. J Clin Invest 101: 935–939. , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 1997. Genetic interactions of Hox genes in limb development: learning from compound mutants. Curr Opin Genet Dev 7: 481–487. , .
- 1996. Shh, HoxD, Bmp-2, and Fgf-4 gene expression during development of the polydactylous talpid2, diplopodia1, and diplopodia4 mutant chick limb buds. Dev Genet 19: 26–32. , , , , .
- 2002. Intraflagellar transport. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3: 813–825. , .
- 1994. Enhanced expression of limb malformations and axial skeleton alterations in legless mutants by transplacental exposure to retinoic acid. Dev Biol 164: 277–289. , , , , .
- 1987. A rapid method for preparing high quality alizarin stained skeletons of adult mice. Stain Technol 62: 143–146. .
- 1999. Identification of sonic hedgehog as a candidate gene responsible for the polydactylous mouse mutant Sasquatch. Curr Biol 9: 97–100. , , , , , .
- 1986. A morphogenetic approach to the origins and basic organization of the tetrapod limb. Evol Biol 20: 319–387. , .
- 2002. Functions of FGF signalling from the apical ectodermal ridge in limb development. Nature 418: 501–508. , , .
- 1997. Mutation of an axonemal dynein affects left-right asymmetry in inversus viscerum mice. Nature 389: 963–966. , , , .
- 1999. Targeted deletion of the ATP binding domain of left-right dynein confirms its role in specifying development of left-right asymmetries. Development Suppl 126: 5495–5504. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Left-right asymmetry and kinesin superfamily protein KIF3A: new insights in determination of laterality and mesoderm induction by kif3A-/- mice analysis. J Cell Biol 145: 825–836. , , , , , .
- 2000. Kinesin superfamily protein 3 (KIF3) motor transports fodrin-associating vesicles important for neurite building. J Cell Biol 148: 1255–1265. , , , , , .
- 2001. Polaris, a protein involved in left-right axis patterning, localizes to basal bodies and cilia. Mol Biol Cell 12: 589–599. , , , .
- 1999. Gli genes and limb development. Cell Tissue Res 296: 75–83. , , , , .
- 1977. Mesenchymal cell polarity and morphogenesis of chick cartilage. Dev Biol 59: 153–163. .
- 1967. Cell contact during early morphogenesis in the chick embryo. Dev Biol 16: 78–106. , , .
- 1985. Cilia in rat articular chondrocytes. Anat Anz 158: 51–55. , .
- 1999a. Involvement of Frzb-1 in mesenchymal condensation and cartilage differentiation in the chick limb bud. Int J Dev Biol 43: 495–500. , , , , .
- 1999b. Sonic hedgehog signaling during digit pattern duplication after application of recombinant protein and expressing cells. Dev Growth Differ 41: 567–574. , , .
- 1995. Primary cilia in normal and pathological tissues. Pathobiology 63: 222–238. .
- 1992. In situ hybridization: a practical approach. New York: IRL Press. .
- 1999. Vertebrate limb development and malformations (Review). Pediatr Res 46: 247–254. .
- 1998. Evidence that preaxial polydactyly in the Doublefoot mutant is due to ectopic Indian Hedgehog signaling. Development 125: 3123–3132. , , , , .
- 1995. Insertional mutagenesis and molecular analysis of a new gene associated with polycystic kidney disease. Proc Assoc Am Physicians 107: 314–323. , , , , , .
- 1996. Functional correction of renal defects in a mouse model for ARPKD through expression of the cloned wild-type Tg737 cDNA. Kidney Int 50: 1240–1248. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Differential rescue of the renal and hepatic disease in an autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease mouse mutant. A new model to study the liver lesion. Am J Pathol 150: 2231–2241. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Polaris, a protein disrupted in orpk mutant mice, is required for assembly of renal cilium. Am J Physiol 282: F541–F552. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Synpolydactyly in mice with a targeted deficiency in the HoxD complex. Nature 384: 69–71. , .
- 1999. Signal relay by BMP antagonism controls the SHH/FGF4 feedback loop in vertebrate limb buds. Nature 401: 598–602. , , , .