Retinoic acid signalling centres in the avian embryo identified by sites of expression of synthesising and catabolising enzymes
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 1, pages 114–127, May 2003
How to Cite
Blentic, A., Gale, E. and Maden, M. (2003), Retinoic acid signalling centres in the avian embryo identified by sites of expression of synthesising and catabolising enzymes. Dev. Dyn., 227: 114–127. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10292
- Issue published online: 8 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 29 OCT 2002
- 2001. The retinoic acid-metabolising enzyme, CYP26A1, is essential for normal hindbrain patterning, vertebral identity, and development of posterior structures. Genes Dev 15: 226–240. , , , , , .
- 1999. Retinoic acid biosynthetic enzyme ALDH1 localizes in a subset of retinol-dependent tissues during Xenopus development. Dev Dyn 215: 264–272. . .
- 1999. Differential distribution of retinoic acid synthesis in the chicken embryo as determined by immunolocalization of the retinoic acid synthetic enzyme, RALDH-2. Dev Biol 210: 288–304. , , , .
- 2000. Mechanisms of left-right determination in vertebrates. Cell 101: 9–21. , , , .
- 1996. A decade of molecular biology of retinoic acid receptors. FASEB J 10: 940–954. .
- 1999. Retinoic acid is required in the mouse embryo for left-right determination and heart morphogenesis. Development 126: 2589–2596. , , .
- 1992. Comparison of Hensen's node and retinoic acid in secondary axis induction in the early chick embryo. Dev Dyn 195: 142–151. , .
- 1992. Retinoic acid is enriched in Hensen's node and is developmentally regulated in the early chick embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 10056–10059. , , , .
- 1998. Ventricular muscle-restricted targeting of the RXRa gene reveals a non-cell-autonomous requirement in cardiac chamber morphogenesis. Development 125: 1943–1949. , , .
- 1999. Expression of retinoic acid 4-hydroxylase (CYP26) during mouse and Xenopus laevis embryogenesis. Mech Dev 82: 205–211. , , , , , .
- 1993. Induction of normal cardiovascular development in the vitamin A-deprived quail embryo by natural retinoids. Dev Biol 160: 424–433. , .
- 2000. Families of retinoid dehydrogenases regulating vitamin A function. Production of visual pigment and retinoic acid. Eur J Biochem 267: 4315–4324. .
- 1998. The control of rostrocaudal pattern in the developing spinal cord: specification of motor neuron subtype identity is initiated by signals from paraxial mesoderm. Development 125: 969–982. , , , .
- 1977. Teratogenic effects of retinoic acid in pigtail monkeys (Macaca nemestrina). Teratology 15: 65–72. , , , .
- 1997. Metabolic inactivation of retinoic acid by a novel P450 differentially expressed in developing mouse embryos. EMBO J 16: 4163–4173. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Hindbrain respecification in the retinoid-deficient quail. Mech Dev 89: 43–54. , , .
- 2002. ArRAnging the hindbrain. TINS 25: 61–64. .
- 2000. Anterior endoderm is sufficient to rescue foregut apoptosis and heart tube morphogenesis in an embryo lacking retinoic acid. Dev Biol 219: 59–70. , , , .
- 1996. Localization of cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase in the developing chick retina: in situ hydridisation and immunohistochemical analyses. Dev Dyn 205: 319–331. , , , .
- 1998. Initiation of rhombomeric Hoxb4 expression requires induction by somites and a retinoid pathway. Neuron 21: 39–51. , , .
- 1995. Plasticity of transposed rhombomeres: Hox gene induction is correlated with phenotypic modifications. Development 121: 2707–2721. , , , , .
- 1997. Hox gene induction in the neural tube depends on three parameters: competence, signal supply and paralogue group. Development 124: 849–859. , , .
- 2000. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 6, a cytosolic retinaldehyde dehydrogenase prominently expressed in sensory neuroepithelia during development. J Biol Chem 275: 41210–41218. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1999. Distinct functions for Aldh1 and Raldh2 in the control of ligand production for embryonic retinoid signalling pathways. Dev Genet 25: 353–364. , , .
- 1985. Effects of retinoid deficiency on the development of the heart and vascular system of the quail embryo. Virchow's Arch.B [Cell Pathol] 50: 135–152. , , , , .
- 1992. Evidence that Hensen's node is a site of retinoic acid synthesis. Nature 359: 237–241. , , .
- 1998. Regionalized metabolic activity establishes boundaries of retinoic acid signalling. EMBO J 17: 7361–7372. , , , .
- 1986. Positional signalling by Hensen's node when grafted to the chick limb bud. J Embryol Exp Morphol 94: 257–265. , .
- 1996. Reprogramming Hox expression in the vertebrate hindbrain: influence of paraxial mesoderm and rhombomere transposition. Neuron 16: 487–500. , , , .
- 1995. Nonsteroid nuclear receptors: what are genetic studies telling us about their role in real life? Cell 83: 859–869. , , .
- 1997. Vitamin A deficiency and mutations of RXRa, RXRb and RARa lead to early differentiation of embryonic ventricular cardiomyocytes. Development 124: 4749–4758. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Retinoic acid embryopathy. N Engl J Med 313: 837–841. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Noggin and retinoic acid transform the identity of avian facial prominences. Nature 414: 909–912. , , , .
- 2000. A retinoic acid synthesising enzyme in ventral retina and telencephalon of the embryonic mouse. Mech Dev 95: 283–289. , , , , , .
- 1997. Retinoid signalling is required for the establishment of a ZPA and for the expression of Hoxb-8, a mediator of ZPA formation. Development 124: 1643–1651. , , , , .
- 2001. Cloning of a novel retinoic-acid metabolizing cytochrome P450, Cyp26B1, and comparative expression analysis with Cyp26A1during early murine development. Mech Dev 107: 195–201. , , , , , .
- 1999. Heads or tails? Retinoic acid will decide. Bioessays 21: 809–812. .
- 2002. Retinoid signalling in the development of the central nervous system. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 843–853. .
- 1996. Vitamin A-deficient quail embryos have half a hindbrain and other neural defects. Curr Biol 6: 417–426. , , , .
- 1998. The distribution of endogenous retinoic acid in the chick embryo: implications for developmental mechanisms. Development 125: 4133–4144. , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of retinoic acid signaling during lung morphogenesis. Development 127: 3057–3067. , , .
- 2002. Pre-gut endoderm of chick embryos is regionalised by 1.5 days of development. Dev Dyn 223: 33–47. , , , , .
- 1991. Aldehyde dehydrogenase is a positional marker in the retina. Development 112: 693–702. , , , .
- 1999. Dorsal and ventral territories defined by retinoic acid synthesis, break-down and nuclear receptor expression. Mech Dev 82: 119–130. , , , , .
- 1994. Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development. II. Multiple abnormalities at various stages of organogenesis in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2749–2771. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Stromal cells mediate retinoid-dependent functions essential for renal development. Development 126: 1139–1148. , , , , .
- 2000. RALDH3, a retinaldehyde dehydrogenase that generates retinoic acid, is expressed in the ventral retina, otic vesicle and olfactory pit during mouse development. Mech Dev 97: 227–230. , , , , .
- 2002. Novel retinoic acid generating activities in the neural tube and heart identified by a conditional rescue of Raldh2 null mutant mice. Development 129: 2271–2282. , , , .
- 1998. Dynamic patterns of retinoic acid synthesis and response in the developing mammalian heart. Dev Biol 199: 55–71. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoic acid synthesis and hindbrain patterning in the mouse embryo. Development 127: 75–85. , , , , .
- 2001. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouse. Development 128: 1019–1031. , , , , , .
- 2002. Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (RALDH2)-independent patterns of retinoic acid synthesis in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 16111–16116. , , , , .
- 1992. Prenatal pathogenesis of the transposition of great arteries. In: VogelM, BuhlmeyerK, editors. Transposition of the great arteries 25 years after Rachkind balloon septostomy. Darmstadt: Steinkopff Verlag Darmstadt. p 11–27. , , .
- 1999. A sonic hedgehog-independent, retinoid-activated pathway of neurogenesis in the ventral spinal cord. Cell 97: 903–915. , , , .
- 2002. Deficits in the posterior pharyngeal endoderm in the absence of retinoids. Dev Dyn 225: 54–60. , , , .
- 2001. The retinoic acid-inactivating enzyme CYP26 is essential for establishing an uneven distribution of retinoic acid along the anterio-posterior axis within the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 15: 213–225. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of EphA4 expression in paraxial and lateral plate mesoderm by ectoderm-derived signals. Dev Dyn 220: 377–386. , , , , .
- 1999. The homeobox gene NKX3.2 is a target of left-right signalling and is expressed on opposite sides in chick and mouse embryos. Curr Biol 9: 911–914. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Local retinoid signalling coordinates forebrain and facial morphogenesis by maintaining FGF8 and SHH. Development 128: 2755–2767. , , , , .
- 1972. Morphogenesis of malformations in hamsters caused by retinoic acid: relation to dose and stage at treatment. Teratology 5: 103–118. .
- 1997. Retinoic acid directs cardiac laterality and the expression of early markers of precardiac asymmetry. Dev Biol 182: 162–171. , , , , , .
- 1998. Motor neuron-derived retinoid signalling specifies the subtype identity of spinal motor neurons. Cell 94: 503–514. , .
- 2002. Retinoic acid signaling is required for a critical early step in zebrafish pancreatic development. Curr Biol 12: 1–20. , .
- 1996. Retinoic acid is required for the initiation of outgrowth in the chick limb bud. Curr Biol 6: 1124–1133. , , .
- 1999. Abnormal anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning of the limb bud in the absence of retinoids. Mech Dev 81: 115–125. , , , .
- 1999. Establishment and maintenance of the border of the neural plate in the chick: involvement of FGF and BP activity. Mech Dev 82: 51–66. , .
- 1994. RXRα mutant mice establish a genetic basis for vitamin A signaling in heart morphogenesis. Genes Dev 8: 1007–1018. , , , , , .
- 1999. Complementary domains of retinoic acid production and degradation in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 216: 282–296. , , , , , .
- 1999. Multiple left-right asymmetry defects in Shh-/- mutant mice unveil a convergence of the Shh and retinoic acid pathways in the control of Lefty-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 11376–11381. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of endogenous retinoids, enzymes, binding proteins, and receptors during early postimplantation development in mouse: important role of retinal dehydrogenase type 2 in synthesis of all-trans-retinoic acid. Dev Biol 220: 379–391. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Posteriorization by FGF, Wnt, and retinoic acid is required for neural crest induction. Dev Biol 241: 289–301. , , , .
- 1990. Polarizing activity and retinoid synthesis in the floor plate of the neural tube. Nature 345: 819–822. , , , .
- 1999. Retinoic acid affects left-right patterning. Dev Biol 215: 332–342. , .
- 2000. Retinoid signaling is essential for patterning the endoderm of the third and fourth pharyngeal arches. Development 127: 1553–1562. , , , .
- 1997. cDNA cloning of human retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme (hp450RAI) identifies a novel family of cytochromes P450 (CYP26). J Biol Chem 272: 18538–18541. , , , , , , .
- 2000a. Identification of the human cytochrome P450, P450RAI-2, which is predominantly expressed in the adult cerebellum and is responsible for all-trans-retinoic acid metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 6403–6408. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000b. Vitamin A deficiency results in the dose-dependent acquisition of anterior characters and shortening of the caudal hindbrain of the rat embryo. Dev Biol 220: 263–284. , , , .
- 1949. Aortic-arch and cardiac anomalies in the offspring of vitamin A deficient rats. Am J Anat 85: 113–155. , .
- 1969. Positional information and the spatial pattern of cellular differentiation. J Theor Biol 25: 1–47. .
- 1999. A retinoic acid-inducible transgenic marker of sino-atrial development in the mouse heart. Development 126: 2677–2687. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Sequential programs of retinoic acid synthesis in the myocardial and epicardial layers of the developing avian heart. Dev Biol 219: 129–141. , , , .
- 1997. Cardiac outflow tract septation process in the mouse model of transposition of the great arteries. Teratology 55: 353–363. , , , , , .
- 2002. Wherefore heart thou? Embryonic origins of cardiogenic mesoderm. Dev Dyn 223: 307–320. , .
- 1996. Molecular identification of a major retinoic acid-synthesising enzyme, a retinaldehyde-specific dehydrogenase. Eur J Biochem 240: 15–22. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoid signaling is required to complete the vertebrate cardiac left/right asymmetry pathway. Dev Biol 223: 323–338. , , , , , , .