Genomic organization and promoter and transcription regulatory regions for the expression in the anterior brain (sensory vesicle) of Hroth, the otx homologue of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 1, pages 104–113, May 2003
How to Cite
Oda-Ishii, I. and Saiga, H. (2003), Genomic organization and promoter and transcription regulatory regions for the expression in the anterior brain (sensory vesicle) of Hroth, the otx homologue of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Dev. Dyn., 227: 104–113. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10295
- Issue published online: 8 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 1 NOV 2002
- JSPS. Grant Number: 12480222
- Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Japan. Grant Numbers: 13045038, 14034249
- Japan Science Society Foundation
- 1995. Forebrain and midbrain regions are deleted in Otx2−/− mutants due to a defective anterior neuroectoderm specification during gastrulation. Development 121: 3279–3290. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Epilepsy and brain abnormalities in mice lacking the Otx1 gene. Nat Genet 14: 218–222. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Murine Otx1 and Drosophila otd genes share conserved genetic functions required in invertebrate and vertebrate brain development. Development 125: 1691–1702. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Positive and negative signals from mesoderm regulate the expression of mouse Otx2 in ectoderm explants. Development 120: 2979–2989. , , , .
- 1996. A targeted mouse Otx2 mutation leads to severe defects in gastrulation and formation of axial mesoderm and to deletion of rostral brain. Development 122: 243–252. , , , , , .
- 1995. c-otx2 is expressed in two different phases of gastrulation and is sensitive to retinoic acid treatment in chick embryo. Mech Dev 49: 49–63. , , , .
- 1991. The molecular genetics of head development in Drosophila melanogaster. Development 112: 899–912. , .
- 1990. A modular set of lacZ fusion vectors for studying gene expression in Caenorhabditis elegans. Gene 93: 189–198. , , .
- 1994. Homeodomain-DNA recognition. Cell 78: 211–223. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. A retinoic acid-responsive human zinc finger gene, MZF-1, preferentially expressed in myeloid cells. J Biol Chem 266: 14183–14187. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. An essential role of a FoxD gene in notochord induction in Ciona embryos. Development 129: 3441–3453. , , .
- 1996. Engrailed, Wnt and Pax genes regulate midbrain–hindbrain development. Trends Genet 12: 15–20. .
- 1995. Expression of the labial group Hox gene HrHox-1 and its alteration induced by retinoic acid in development of the ascidian Halocynthia roretzi. Development 121: 3197–3205. , , , .
- 1996. Homeobox genes exhibit evolutionary conserved regionalization in the central nervous system of an ascidian larva. Zool Sci 13: 479–482. , , .
- 1999. Ascidian tail formation requires caudal function. Dev Biol 213: 257–268. , , , .
- 1997. Cis-acting elements conserved between mouse and pufferfish Otx2 genes govern the expression in mesencephalic neural crest cells. Development 124: 3929–3941. , , , , , .
- 1995. Coexpression and promoter function in two muscle actin gene complexes of different structural organization in the ascidian Halocynthia roretzi. Dev Biol 169: 461–472. , , .
- 1994. Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brain. Mech Dev 48: 229–244. , , , .
- 1995. Mouse Otx2 functions in the formation and patterning of rostral head. Genes Dev 9: 2646–2658. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression pattern of two otx genes suggests a role in specifying anterior body structures in zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol 39: 559–573. , , , .
- 1993. Mouse Cdx-1 expression during gastrulation. Development 117: 191–203. , .
- 1991. Expression of the mouse labial-like homeobox-containing genes, Hox 2.9 and Hox 1.6, during segmentation of the hindbrain. Development 111: 61–74. , .
- 1991. Cell counts and maps in the larval central nervous system of the ascidian Ciona intestinalis (L.). J Comp Neurol 309: 415–429. , .
- 1990. Spatially and temporally restricted expression of Pax2 during murine neurogenesis. Development 109: 797–809. , , , , .
- 2001. Hremx, the ascidian homologue of ems/emx, is expressed in the anterior and posterior-lateral epidermis but not in the central nervous system during embryogenesis. Dev Genes Evol 211: 291–298. , .
- 1995. The Xenopus homologue of Otx2 is a maternal homeobox gene that demarcates and specifies anterior body regions. Development 121: 707–720. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pax-2 expression in the murine neural plate precedes and encompasses the expression domains of Wnt-1 and En-1. Mech Dev 52: 3–8. , .
- 1994. Developmental biology of ascidians. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1995. Chasing tails in ascidians: developmental insights into the origin and evolution of chordates. Trends Genet 11: 354–359. , .
- 2001. Synergistic action of HNF-3 and Brachyury in the notochord differentiation of ascidian embryos. Int J Dev Biol 45: 643–652. , , .
- 1992. Nested expression domains of four homeobox genes in developing rostral brain. Nature 358: 687–690. , , , , .
- 1993. A vertebrate gene related to orthodenticle contains a homeodomain of the bicoid class and demarcates anterior neuroectoderm in the gastrulating mouse embryo. EMBO J 12: 2735–2747. , , , , , , .
- 1999. CnOtx, a member of the Otx gene family, has a role in cell movement in hydra. Dev Biol 212: 392–404. , , , .
- 2001. mRNA 5′-leader trans-splicing in the chordates. Genes Dev 15: 294–303. , , .
- 1999. Cloning and embryonic expression of Hrsna, a snail family gene of the ascidian Halocynthia roretzi: implication in the origins of mechanisms for mesoderm specification and body axis formation in chordates. Dev Growth Differ 41: 9–18. , .
- 1996. Hroth an orthodenticle-related homeobox gene of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi: its expression and putative roles in the axis formation during embryogenesis. Mech Dev 60: 59–71. , , , , .
- 1998. Tripartite organization of the ancestral chordate brain and the antiquity of placodes: insights from ascidian Pax-2/5/8, Hox and Otx genes. Development 125: 1113–1122. , , , .
- 1998. Gene and domain duplication in the chordate Otx gene family: insights from amphioxus Otx. Mol Biol Evol 15: 600–607. , .