Localisation of specific heparan sulfate proteoglycans during the proliferative phase of brain development
Article first published online: 18 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 2, pages 170–184, June 2003
How to Cite
Ford-Perriss, M., Turner, K., Guimond, S., Apedaile, A., Haubeck, H.-D., Turnbull, J. and Murphy, M. (2003), Localisation of specific heparan sulfate proteoglycans during the proliferative phase of brain development. Dev. Dyn., 227: 170–184. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10298
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2003
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 14 JAN 2002
- National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia
- Medical Research Council
- The Royal Society, United Kingdom
- 2000. Syndecan-1 is required for Wnt-1-induced mammary tumorigenesis in mice. Nat Genet 25: 329–332. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Perlecan is essential for cartilage and cephalic development. Nat Genet 23: 354–358. , , , , .
- 1994. Perlecan, basal lamina proteoglycan, promotes basic fibroblast growth factor-receptor binding, mitogenesis, and angiogenesis. Cell 79: 1005–1013. , , , , , .
- 2001. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans are critical for the organization of the extracellular distribution of Wingless. Development 128: 87–94. , , , , .
- 1995. Determination events in the nervous system of the vertebrate embryo. Curr Opin Genet Dev 5: 450–458. , .
- 1994. Inhibition of protein and lipid sulfation in oligodendrocytes blocks biological responses to FGF-2 and retards cytoarchitectural maturation, but not developmental lineage progression. Dev Biol 162: 511–524. , .
- 1999. Functions of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Annu Rev Biochem 68: 729–777. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Optimized survival of hippocampal neurons in B27 supplemented Neurobasal, a new serum-free medium combination. J Neurosci Res 35: 567–576. , , .
- 1998. Heparin, but not other proteoglycans potentiates the mitogenic effects of FGF-2 on mesencephalic precursor cells. Exp Neurol 152: 1–10. , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning and characterization of N-syndecan, a novel transmembrane heparan sulfate proteoglycan. J Cell Biol 117: 191–201. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Differential ability of heparan sulfate proteoglycans to assemble the fibroblast growth factor receptor complex in situ. FASEB J 14: 137–144. , , , .
- 2000. BMP, Wnt and Hedgehog signals: how far can they go? Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 244–249. .
- 1999. Perlecan maintains the integrity of cartilage and some basement membranes. J Cell Biol 147: 1109–1122. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Midbrain development induced by FGF-8 in the chick embryo. Nature 380: 66–68. , , .
- 1992. Developmental changes in heparan sulfate expression: in situ detection with mAbs. J Cell Biol 119: 961–975. , , , , .
- 1994. Genesis of olfactory receptor neurons in vitro: regulation of progenitor cell divisions by fibroblast growth factors. Neuron 13: 1083–1097. , , , , .
- 1998. Impaired cerebral cortex development and blood pressure regulation in FGF-2-deficient mice. EMBO Journal 17: 4213–4225. , , ,
- 1985. Immunological characterization of basement membrane types of heparan sulfate proteoglycan. EMBO J 4: 905–912. , , , .
- 1999. Syndecan-4 core protein is sufficient for the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers. J Cell Sci 112 (Pt 20): 3433–3441. , , , , .
- 2000. Still more complexity in mammalian basement membranes. J Histochem Cytochem 48: 1291–1306. , .
- 1998. The cell surface proteoglycan syndecan-1 mediates fibroblast growth factor-2 binding and activity. J Cell Physiol 174: 310–321. , , .
- 1997. Expression of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in rat glomeruli. Kidney Int 51: 1729–1738. , , , .
- 2002. Variant heparan sulfates synthesized in developing mouse brain differentially regulate FGF signaling. Glycobiology 12: 721–727. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Neocortex patterning by the secreted signaling molecule FGF8. Science 294: 1071–1074. , .
- 2001. Emerging themes in lipid rafts and caveolae. Cell 106: 403–411. , , .
- 2002. HSPG modification by the secreted enzyme Notum shapes the Wingless morphogen gradient. Dev Cell 2: 667–676. , , .
- 1995. Regulation of astrocyte proliferation by FGF-2 and heparan sulfate in vivo. J Neurosci 15: 2021–2029. , , .
- 1995. Characterization of chicken syndecan-3 as a heparan sulfate proteoglycan and its expression during embryogenesis. Dev Biol 168: 438–451. , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor receptor signalling is dictated by specific heparan sulphate saccharides. Curr Biol 9: 1343–1346. , .
- 1993. Activating and inhibitory heparin sequences for FGF-2 (basic FGF): distinct requirements for FGF-1, FGF-2, and FGF-4. J Biol Chem 268: 23906–23914. , , , , .
- 2000. Glypican-4 is an FGF2-binding heparan sulfate proteoglycan expressed in neural precursor cells. Dev Dyn 219: 353–367. , , , .
- 1987. Immunocytochemistry of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan in mouse tissues. A light and electron microscopic study. J Histochem Cytochem 35: 1079–1088. , , , , , .
- 1994. Fgf-8 expression in the post-gastrulation mouse suggests roles in the development of the face, limbs and central nervous system. Mech Dev 48: 129–138. , , , , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor-specific modulation of cellular response by syndecan-4. J Cell Biol 157: 715–725. , , .
- 1999. Regulated expression and subcellular localization of syndecan heparan sulfate proteoglycans and the syndecan-binding protein CASK/LIN-2 during rat brain development. J Neurosci 19: 7415–7425. , .
- 1997. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature 389: 966–970. , , , , .
- 1994. The biology of perlecan: the multifaceted heparan sulphate proteoglycan of basement membranes and pericellular matrices. Biochem J 302: 625–639. , , , .
- 1997. Cerebroglycan, a developmentally regulated cell-surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan, is expressed on developing axons and growth cones. Dev Biol 184: 320–332. , , , , .
- 1996. A proteoglycan that activates fibroblast growth factors during early neuronal development is a perlecan variant. Development 122: 3443–3452. , , , , , , .
- 1993. An essential heparin-binding domain in the fibroblast growth factor receptor kinase. Science 259: 1918–1921. , , , , , .
- 1994. Immunocytochemical and in situ hybridization studies of the heparan sulfate proteoglycan, glypican, in nervous tissue. J Cell Sci 107: 3213–3222. , , , , , .
- 1989. Modulation of cell surface heparan sulfate structure by growth of cells in the presence of chlorate. Biochemistry 28: 8100–8107. , , .
- 1995. The regulation of neural precursor cells within the mammalian brain. Mol Cell Neurosci 6: 2–15. , , .
- 1998. N-syndecan and HB-GAM (heparin-binding growth-associated molecule) associate with early axonal tracts in the rat brain. Eur J Neurosci 10: 635–648. , , , , , .
- 2002. Not all perlecans are created equal: interactions with fibroblast growth factor (FGF) 2 and FGF receptors. J Biol Chem 277: 14657–14665. , , , , .
- 2000. The elusive functions of proteoglycans: in vivo veritas. J Cell Biol 148: 227–232. , .
- 1997. Evidence that FGF8 signalling from the midbrain-hindbrain junction regulates growth and polarity in the developing midbrain. Development 124: 959–969. , , , .
- 2000. A local Wnt-3a signal is required for development of the mammalian hippocampus. Development 127: 457–467. , , , .
- 2001. Defining brain wiring patterns and mechanisms through gene trapping in mice. Nature 410: 174–179. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Dally cooperates with Drosophila Frizzled 2 to transduce Wingless signalling [see comments]. Nature 400: 281–284. , .
- 1994. Neuronal expression of glypican, a cell-surface glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored heparan sulfate proteoglycan, in the adult rat nervous system. J Neurosci 14: 3713–3724. , , , .
- 1998. Expression of the heparan sulfate proteoglycan glypican-1 in the developing rodent. Dev Dyn 211: 72–87. , , , , , .
- 1993. Inhibition of basic fibroblast growth factor-induced growth promotion by overexpression of syndecan-1. J Biol Chem 268: 24215–24222. , , , .
- 1994. Expression of neuron-specific tubulin defines a novel population in the proliferative layers of the developing telencephalon. J Neurosci 14: 5399–5416. , .
- 1990. Fibroblast growth factor stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of neural precursor cells in vivo. J Neurosci Res 25: 463–475. , , .
- 1997. Expression of syndecan-1 and -3 during embryogenesis of the central nervous system in relation to binding with midkine. J Biochem (Tokyo) 121: 197–205. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Perlecan, the large low-density proteoglycan of basement membranes: structure and variant forms. Kidney Int 43: 53–60. , .
- 2000. FGFs, heparan sulfate and FGFRs: complex interactions essential for development. Bioessays 22: 108–112. .
- 1998. Neuronal defects and delayed wound healing in a mice lacking fibroblast growth factor 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 5672–5677. , , , , .
- 2000. Roles of Wnt proteins in neural development and maintenance. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 392–399. , .
- 1998. Gpc3 expression correlates with the phenotype of the Simpson-Golabi-Behmel syndrome. Dev Dyn 213: 431–439. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Basic fibroblast growth factor (Fgf2) is necessary for cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 20: 5012–5023. , , , , , .
- 2001. Patterning the mammalian cerebral cortex. Curr Opin Neurobiol 11: 50–58. , .
- 1998. Molecular interactions of the syndecan core proteins. Curr Opin Cell Biol 10: 620–628. , .
- 1991. Requirement of heparan sulfate for bFGF-mediated fibroblast growth and myoblast differentiation. Science 252: 1705–1708. , , .
- 1999. Syndecan-4 signals cooperatively with integrins in a Rho-dependent manner in the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 2805–2810. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of the cell surface proteoglycan glypican-5 is developmentally regulated in kidney, limb, and brain. Dev Biol 190: 78–93. , , .
- 1999. Sequential roles for FGF-4, En1 and FGF-8 in specification and regionalisation of the midbrain. Development 126: 945–959. , , , , , .
- 1998. Antisense targeting of perlecan blocks tumor growth and angiogenesis in vivo. J Clin Invest 102: 1599–1608. , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of glypican-4 in haematopoietic-progenitor and bone-marrow- stromal cells. Biochem J 344 (Pt 3): 937–943. , , , , , .
- 1996. Stimulation of fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 occupancy and signaling by cell surface-associated syndecans and glypican. J Cell Biol 133: 405–416. , , .
- 1994. Cerebroglycan: an integral membrane heparan sulfate proteoglycan that is unique to the developing nervous system and expressed specifically during neuronal differentiation. J Cell Biol 124: 149–160. , , .
- 2000. Wingless gradient formation in the Drosophila wing. Curr Biol 10: 293–300. , .
- 2001. Glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-anchored proteins and fyn kinase assemble in noncaveolar plasma membrane microdomains defined by reggie-1 and -2. Mol Biol Cell 12: 3031–3045. , , , , , .
- 2002. Clustering induces redistribution of syndecan-4 core protein into raft membrane domains. J Biol Chem 277: 19946–19951. , .
- 1999. The cell-surface proteoglycan Dally regulates Wingless signalling in Drosophila [see comments]. Nature 400: 276–280. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Heparan sulfate: decoding a dynamic multifunctional cell regulator. Trends Cell Biol 11: 75–82. , , .
- 1999a. Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates growth and morphogenesis at multiple steps during brain development. Curr Top Dev Biol 46: 179–200. , , , , .
- 1999b. Changes in cerebral cortex size are governed by fibroblast growth factor during embryogenesis. Nat Neurosci 2: 246–253. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The role of syndecan cytoplasmic domain in basic fibroblast growth factor-dependent signal transduction. J Biol Chem 274: 24417–24424. , , , , .
- 1995. K-glypican: a novel GPI-anchored heparan sulfate proteoglycan that is highly expressed in developing brain and kidney. J Cell Biol 130: 1207–1218. , , .
- 2001. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans in the nervous system: their diverse roles in neurogenesis, axon guidance, and synaptogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol 12: 99–106. .
- 2001. Membrane heparan sulfate proteoglycan-supported FGF2-FGFR1 signaling: evidence in support of the “cooperative end structures” model. J Biol Chem 276: 41921–41929. , , .